Randy Couture quitting the UFC!!! Wow!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Randy Couture quitting the UFC!!! Wow!!!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9455

With the UFC’s apparent inability to sign top free agent Fedor Emelianenko to a contract, current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture has reportedly decided to walk away from the UFC and the two fights remaining on his current deal.

The shocking news comes from The Fight Network, with whom Couture has a longtime relationship. According to the website, Couture delivered his resignation with a letter to UFC President Dana White.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” Couture told the website. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.“

Emelianenko — the current PRIDE heavyweight champion and the most sought-after free agent in mixed-martial arts — reportedly inked a new deal with the Russian-based M-1 Mix-Fight Championship promotion in the past couple weeks.

White made no mention of Couture’s resignation — nor any problems in his relationship with the fighter — during today’s UFC 77 media conference call. The two MMA notables appeared to have a very public and very cordial relationship.

UFC officials were hopeful that Couture would next defend his title against Emelianenko at a Feb. 2 show in Las Vegas. Fight fans had been teased by the possible matchup for much of 2007. MMAjunkie.com recently reported that Couture was supposed to headline the UFC 81 event regardless of the opponent, but it now appears the fighter’s career with the UFC is over.

The 44-year-old Couture, a UFC Hall of Famer, came out of retirement earlier this year to defeat Tim Sylvia for the heavyweight championship. Since the UFC 68 victory, Couture has reemerged as one of MMA’s biggest stars.

He successfully defended his title at UFC 74 in August against top contender Gabriel Gonzaga.

Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC) is one of the most decorated fighters in MMA history and the only athlete to ever hold the UFC’s heavyweight and light-heavyweight titles. The former All-American wrestler has competed in 15 title fights in his 24-fight career.

It’s too soon to know what the UFC will do with a now-vacant heavyweight title. However, top contenders Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia are scheduled to fight next weekend at UFC 77, and fellow contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogeuira and Cheick Kongo are expected to fight in early 2008. The two bouts could set up a mini-tournament, with each fight’s winner facing off in a title fight at a later date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Couture is a great fighter I'm glad he went out on top. His time is pretty much up as he is getting up there in age anyways.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Classy and well done.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
I think the competition to the UFC is beginning to put some pressure on the management. Dana White has done some great things for MMA, but its time to spread the love. He can't lock others out and expect great results.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I think the competition to the UFC is beginning to put some pressure on the management. Dana White has done some great things for MMA, but its time to spread the love. He can't lock others out and expect great results.

+1, BTW Pride is the best of them all. It is like watch the movie Gladiator every fight .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
+1, BTW Pride is the best of them all. It is like watch the movie Gladiator every fight .
Zuffa owns Pride. Whenever a competitor gets big enough to be a threat, they buy them. Not a knock, but the nature of the business. They'll always be another organization though. M-1??, never heard of that one.

Couture is wise to go out (again) when his heart just isn't in it anymore. The fire may pop up again if he leaves happily. It probably wouldn't if he let it fester for months. The Yahoo article had Dana White's comments..he knew it would happen if he couldn't get Fedor.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Couture is wise to go out (again) when his heart just isn't in it anymore. The fire may pop up again if he leaves happily. It probably wouldn't if he let it fester for months. The Yahoo article had Dana White's comments..he knew it would happen if he couldn't get Fedor.

Glad to see someone knows what their talking about. Couture is quitting because he has nothing else to prove and Zuffa couldn't get Fedor. I did hear that Fedor's camp had some crazy stuff they wanted in the contract.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
This whole thing was one gigantic publicity stunt. What a complete load.

ESPN just had Dana White on Sportscenter discussing how Couture "Belongs to him" and "owe's him two fights"...Randy was on via phone the other night. He'll fight, it'll be hyped by ESPN, and the UFC will get exactly what it was looking for.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode