The NFL cannot figure their sport out. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
The NFL cannot figure their sport out.

It just amazes me that with each year the rules are changed so drastically, and the interpretation of those "rules" is constantly scrutinized and modified. It's borderline ridiculous. No other sport combines such an extremely vague rule set so differently enforced from game to game that has such a tremendous impact on the game.

THEN, they try to fix the problem with video review, which is all well and good, but dramatically impacts the flow of the game, results in 3 1/2 hour plus games and results in gun shy refs, many of whom themselves don't fully understand the rules!

I don't know what the solution is, but it seems to me that simplifying the rules and not making them more complicated and overbearing is a step in the right direction.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Give each player a 2X4 with a nail through it. Last man standing, that team wins.

Simple enough.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Give each player a 2X4 with a nail through it. Last man standing, that team wins.

Simple enough.
then i would draft guys from Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
I'm hoping to get a niche firm started that specializes in provided professional attorney level representation for teams to argue challenges. You'll get sports and courtroom drama all in the same program. And I'll get to watch from the sideline and make the same arguments I would anyway to the TV. All for a reasonable retainer

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 PM
PPF Installer

Sportbike: 01 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: post on gixxer.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
It just amazes me that with each year the rules are changed so drastically, and the interpretation of those "rules" is constantly scrutinized and modified. It's borderline ridiculous. No other sport combines such an extremely vague rule set so differently enforced from game to game that has such a tremendous impact on the game.

THEN, they try to fix the problem with video review, which is all well and good, but dramatically impacts the flow of the game, results in 3 1/2 hour plus games and results in gun shy refs, many of whom themselves don't fully understand the rules!

I don't know what the solution is, but it seems to me that simplifying the rules and not making them more complicated and overbearing is a step in the right direction.

seeing as you just posted this I am assuming you just watched the Pack/Cowboys game.

For those that don't know I am a Packers fan and first off with Coach Macarthy's game plan that this game was not do or die just sounds kinda weird. Many key players that didn't play in the game on defense. Favre getting hurt is going to be interesting to say the least. GB does have 10 days off now, so that will help. Aaron Rogers play was great!!!

The fucking penalties and the officiating of it all too

10-2 is still quite good considering there are only 4 weeks left and well it is really beleived that Dallas will hick up against one of their remaining teams.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Quote:

Simple enough.
You wanna play me?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
You wanna play me?
"Ooo, a mahogany... with brass nail.. so classy"

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 12:09 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

ive got my own wood, but the nail through it was a freak accident

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post

were you refrencing something specifically?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:

Simple enough.
As George Carlin suggested, how about just leaving the injured on the field? Afterall, they say it's a "war" out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm hoping to get a niche firm started that specializes in provided professional attorney level representation for teams to argue challenges. You'll get sports and courtroom drama all in the same program. And I'll get to watch from the sideline and make the same arguments I would anyway to the TV. All for a reasonable retainer
Now that would make the NFL Network relevant...they'd have plenty to talk about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja 13 View Post
were you refrencing something specifically?
Not really. It's just that in every single game there are botched calls that have HUGE impacts on the outcome of the game, rules that neither the refs, the coaches or the announcers understand. New and ever changing rules that make each season slightly different from the last. Extremely vague rules that leave much too much interpretation that results in confusion and differing enforcement by each officiating crew. Football is a television sport, it is the only major sport who's popularity is a direct result of television. Baseball, basketball and hockey all had major followings prior to network television and national broadcasts, football did not. As such, football (on the professional level) is ever evolving to become more of a spectacle and entertainment forum than a "sport". It just irks the heck out of me that its "rules" are hardly that at all. Rob is right, it's turning into CourTV.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
PPF Installer

Sportbike: 01 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: post on gixxer.com

we should send this topic here to Roger Goodell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode