Illini Basketball - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Illini Basketball

My prediction: Bruce Weber is gone in two seasons.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:25 PM
The Sausage king
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,003
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese
           
Its a down year talent wise. They would have been in alot better shape if they would have gotten Gordon which ended up going to Indiana. But you're right, if Weber has another bad recruiting class, the wheels will fall off the program.

Da Bears!
Ducati
Abe_Froman is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Joe Momma...
 
JoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Park
Posts: 3,822
Location: Oak Park
Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member
           
Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Weber is good coach and he'll be fine. They've had a lot to deal with last year and did ok.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
JoJo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
They are losing their only two "playmakers" in Pruitt and Randall, both of whom suck anyways. They're going to have to run a 4-guard or something next year, WITHOUT A BALLHANDLER. 'Ole Bruce is in big trouble. He's turned a perennial top 15 program into a non-ranked, non-recruitable school. Not good.

They've lost 3 straight home games...I think they lost 5 total in the 5 years I attended school there.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Joe Momma...
 
JoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Park
Posts: 3,822
Location: Oak Park
Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member
           
Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
He's turned a perennial top 15 program into a non-ranked, non-recruitable school. Not good.
What are you smoking? Perennial top 15??? Only if you're only looking back to when the Peoria guys came in (now that I think of if that was a while ago) but before that there never sniffed the top 15.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
JoJo is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Weber is good coach and he'll be fine. They've had a lot to deal with last year and did ok.
I think Weber is a GREAT coach...he's just can't recruit. Even at SIU, Painter did all of his recruiting (take a look at how good Purdue looks by the way). The bottom line is that for the first time, Weber has none of the Bill Self recruited talent. His team with his recruits is just terrible. I really like the guy, but next year they are in BIG trouble. Absolutely no post presence, with no ballhandlers, no playmakers and a poor shooting team. Yikes.

...they've got one committment so far BTW. Indiana has 9 interested, 3 confirmed I believe.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
BH
Registered User
 
BH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: CowTown, IN
Posts: 4,740
Location: CowTown, IN
Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?
           
Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Weber is a great coach, but maybe just not cut out for everything that comes with running a big time program. his personality/style fits better with a smaller - mid major school, SIU for example.

back when I used to go to Purdue bball camp every year, Weber and Steve Lavin pretty much ran everything. Weber was awesome. super nice guy, always teaching. Lavin was a dick. made fun of the kids that weren't very good, yelling and screaming and shit.
BH is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
What are you smoking? Perennial top 15??? Only if you're only looking back to when the Peoria guys came in (now that I think of if that was a while ago) but before that there never sniffed the top 15.
...top 15 PROGRAM, not rankings. Illinois, for 30 years, was one of the top basketball schools in the country. Lou Henson, Lon Kreuger, Bill Self...all three are considered great college coaches. In my time at UofI (splitting Kreuger, Self and Weber) the Illini never failed to make the tournament, were ranked in the top 10 3 of the 5 years and lost 5 home games in 5 years. They are a joke now.

29% from the Arc, last in the Big 10
59% from the line, last in the Big 10
43% from the field, 9th in the Big 10

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21 View Post
Weber is a great coach, but maybe just not cut out for everything that comes with running a big time program. his personality/style fits better with a smaller - mid major school, SIU for example.

back when I used to go to Purdue bball camp every year, Weber and Steve Lavin pretty much ran everything. Weber was awesome. super nice guy, always teaching. Lavin was a dick. made fun of the kids that weren't very good, yelling and screaming and shit.
It pains me to see Weber struggle so. He's a super great guy and I really like him.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Clever Girl
 
Noodles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Glendale Heights
Posts: 10,209
Location: Glendale Heights
Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.
           
Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21 View Post
Weber is a great coach, but maybe just not cut out for everything that comes with running a big time program. his personality/style fits better with a smaller - mid major school, SIU for example.
SIU doesn't want him back! Friggen sellout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
Noodles is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
SIU doesn't want him back! Friggen sellout.
Stinging loss to ISU...you guys want Painter back at least?

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Joe Momma...
 
JoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Park
Posts: 3,822
Location: Oak Park
Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member
           
Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
...top 15 PROGRAM, not rankings. Illinois, for 30 years, was one of the top basketball schools in the country. Lou Henson, Lon Kreuger, Bill Self...all three are considered great college coaches. In my time at UofI (splitting Kreuger, Self and Weber) the Illini never failed to make the tournament, were ranked in the top 10 3 of the 5 years and lost 5 home games in 5 years. They are a joke now.

29% from the Arc, last in the Big 10
59% from the line, last in the Big 10
43% from the field, 9th in the Big 10
I suppose you're right. I guess I am just jaded cause I started being a fan in the last years of Henson and the beginning of unibrow. They weren't very good during that period. I think the Jamar Smith accident last year really hurt the program. Thankfully I don't have cable so I haven't seen much of them this year.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
JoJo is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
I suppose you're right. I guess I am just jaded cause I started being a fan in the last years of Henson and the beginning of unibrow. They weren't very good during that period. I think the Jamar Smith accident last year really hurt the program. Thankfully I don't have cable so I haven't seen much of them this year.
Be glad...even the ass kissers at the Big Ten network were hammering the Illini last night.

...oh, and the Matt Painter led Purdue Boilermakers took MSU to the final minutes with the lead, in East Lansing.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Clever Girl
 
Noodles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Glendale Heights
Posts: 10,209
Location: Glendale Heights
Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.
           
Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Stinging loss to ISU...you guys want Painter back at least?
Nevar! Ditches SIU because his dream job falls into his lap. Bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
Noodles is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Who's faster Lupi
 
Champ91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 4,957
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN
           
Badgers for the win. Go Bo.

Ok biased because I played for Bo Ryan at Platteville.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
Champ91 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ91 View Post
Badgers for the win. Go Bo.

Ok biased because I played for Bo Ryan at Platteville.
Bo Ryan is a helluva good coach...poor B. Weber.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.
 
Cerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naperville
Posts: 29,343
Location: Naperville
Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
           
Send a message via AIM to Cerk
5 straight losses. Not good. Although they did look pretty good against Indiana, but a loss is a loss.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM
The Sausage king
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,003
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese
           
They played a good game and almost pulled it out, but 0-4 in the big ten in a year where there isn't a great big ten team is a disaster. They're tied with Northwestern at 0-4. ouch.

Da Bears!
Ducati
Abe_Froman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome