Baseball Etiquette - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Baseball Etiquette

I do not care what team your a fan of, but if you bring a kid to the game you sit closer to home plate not the kid. That way something like this has a better chance to be prevented.

7-year-old in coma after foul beaning
'HE'S HOLDING ON TO THAT BALL RIGHT NOW' | Dominic DiAngi was at his first Cubs game when pitcher Ted Lilly slashed a foul into the stands that left him unconscious

BY MONIFA THOMAS Staff Reporter/[email protected]

Seven-year-old Dominic DiAngi couldn't wait to go to his first Cubs game Thursday. And for the first two innings, he was having a blast.

Then, a foul ball off the bat of Cubs pitcher Ted Lilly struck Dominic in the head and fractured his skull.
Click to enlarge image
Dominic DiAngi is in the hospital after being struck in the head by a foul ball off the bat of Ted Lilly during Friday's game at Wrigley .

The Frankfort boy was taken to Children's Memorial Hospital, where he was put into a medically induced coma because he wasn't breathing properly on his own. Still, his doctors say he may go home Monday or Tuesday, after the swelling in his brain has gone down, Dominic's father, Peter DiAngi, said.

Dominic was sitting with his father and older brother in a lower-level seat off third base. Peter DiAngi had been sitting in Dominic's seat, but the two switched places shortly before the boy was struck.

"The ball was coming right at him, and I thought it was going to go over his head, but apparently he might have stood up at the wrong time," Peter DiAngi said. "As soon as it happened, I just turned around and said, 'Oh, my God,' and scooped him up."

DiAngi tried to administer CPR to his unconscious son while running with him to the concourse, where he was helped by Cubs staff and paramedics. Dominic's breathing was thready and his eyes had rolled back in his head, DiAngi said.

"I was panicking because I just knew that this was not a good sign," he said. "I thought somehow it had been my fault."

Now, Peter DiAngi and his wife are waiting to see what, if any, long-term effects the head injury will have on Dominic.

"This is a kid who just lives, eats and breathes baseball," Peter DiAngi said. "He just wanted to make sure he got to his first big league game. It was supposed to be a great day for him."

Cubs spokesman Peter Chase wished Dominic "a speedy recovery" and said: "We look forward to welcoming him back to Wrigley Field as soon as he is ready."

Lilly was concerned after Thursday's game when told by reporters that a child had been injured. "Did it hit a kid -- that foul ball? Oh. I didn't even notice that. I wasn't sure where it was," Lilly said. "Hopefully, he's OK."

Lilly couldn't be reached for comment Friday, but a team spokesman said the pitcher asked for a phone number for the boy and his family and planned to get in touch.

Dominic did end up getting a keepsake from the game: the ball that hit him. A man sitting a few rows behind Dominic found the ball and offered it to his father.

"Dominic won't let go of the ball," his dad said. "He's holding on to that ball right now."

It's at least the second time in two months that a child has been struck in the head by an errant ball at a Chicago baseball game.

On June 4, 9-year-old Griffin Cox of Glen Ellyn was hit by a batting practice line drive at a White Sox game. He, too, suffered skull fractures and is recovering.

Contributing: Toni Ginnetti and Gordon Wittenmyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Freak accident, I don't know that there is etiquette for that sort of thing.

What a bummer.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
pure ans simple bad luck, wrong place wrong time
sucks

-Jason
CCS AM #31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

wait a minute... 2 times in 2 month??? holy crap that's bad luck!! I never knew there was etiquette for this either as I would want the kid to sit closer for a better view but common sense also says that it would be easier to shield a child in this sort of situation. I agree that it was a freak accident though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
as far as i saw nothign noted who was closer to the plate, and honestly, 1 seat closer or further.... not gonna make a whole lot of difference in impact energy

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
as far as i saw nothign noted who was closer to the plate, and honestly, 1 seat closer or further.... not gonna make a whole lot of difference in impact energy

The purpose is to shield, not to create distance
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Lightly Salted

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: LonelyRaven

Send a message via AIM to Peanut
A friend of mine who used to play in the MLB refuses to let his family sit close to home base and definately not in the first 10 rows. He's seen too many foul balls injure people.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
The etiquette is the more experienced person at the game sits closest to the plate to shield. Never let the kid sit on the aisle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT

Last edited by Paladin; 07-12-2008 at 01:05 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
never knew there was an etiquette for that. All I know is if you're close and not behind a screen you better pay attention. Sometimes even if you're ready for it there's nothing you can do.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
never knew there was an etiquette for that. All I know is if you're close and not behind a screen you better pay attention. Sometimes even if you're ready for it there's nothing you can do.
+1
You have to be alert at a game! Now you even have to watch out for the maple bats breaking and flying into the crowd.
Even 20 rows up, you have to be paying attention as you can still get hit.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
wait a minute... 2 times in 2 month??? holy crap that's bad luck!! I never knew there was etiquette for this either as I would want the kid to sit closer for a better view but common sense also says that it would be easier to shield a child in this sort of situation. I agree that it was a freak accident though.
I hope he recovers ok. I do shielding all the time while walking down the street, in parking lots, etc.. hadn't considered it at a baseball game, but we always sit way up and away either behind a net or so far up that no ball will ever reach us anyways.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode