Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Hester ends holdout.

827 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Abe_Froman 
#1 ·
Good news.

Hester ends hold out, reports to camp
By Larry Mayer

Devin Hester has reported to training camp in Bourbonnais, Illinois, ending a two day hold out. Entering his third season, the record breaking kick returner reports to camp looking to establish a more prominent role on offense. Check back with ChicagoBears.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4899

#3 · (Edited)
good to see that he reports but the CBA in the NFL really needs to be renegotiated since it's the only sport where someone will actually hold out while they are ALREADY under contract and the whole rookie pay scale needs to be set so that we don't have unproven rookies like Matt Ryan getting $50m and $20m+ in guarantees when someone like Hester is making $450k....

EDIT: and the worst thing about football being the only sport where players can "hold out" is b/c it's the one sport where the pre-season prep is essential to seasonal success as the plays and schemes have become so complex that missing a practice and not being involved in the prep shows come Sun and can be the difference b/w a win and a loss, not to mention one guy not doing his job on a given play can lead to someone else getting hurt, unlike in bball where not knowing the rotations usually just leads to a turnover and in baseball, well, there really aren't any "plays" just situational awareness.

also getting sick of the whole "well these poor football players, their career can end at any moment"... when there's thousands of workers in both the military and dangerous careers such as construction whose LIFE can end at any moment and don't say "pay me more money and pay it up front b/c if I get hurt I won't be able to make the same earnings", in fact it's sad that there are thousands of homeless vets who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country only to be cutoff from their benefits and not have anywhere to go... atleast most of these NFL players have a degree to fall back on or at the very least SOME college education...

and just wondering what the pension/disability plan is for the NFL???

#8 ·
also getting sick of the whole "well these poor football players, their career can end at any moment"... when there's thousands of workers in both the military and dangerous careers such as construction whose LIFE can end at any moment and don't say "pay me more money and pay it up front b/c if I get hurt I won't be able to make the same earnings", in fact it's sad that there are thousands of homeless vets who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country only to be cutoff from their benefits and not have anywhere to go... atleast most of these NFL players have a degree to fall back on or at the very least SOME college education...
:bow

#4 ·
i'm glad he's in camp but they still need to pay him. i wonder if they came to some sort of agreement or he realized that 15,000 a day is a lot to lose for a guy that is making 445k this year. one more day and it would have been almost 10% of his salary.

#5 ·
Good points vr4playa.
I'm glad to see Hester in camp and i hope the Bears do something to get him paid better. I don't like players holding out but I understand where Hester is coming from. Compared to other players, he is very underpaid, he has out grown that 2nd round pick contract. The thing about the NFL that is unique is that contracts aren't guaranteed; and as quickly as a player can choose to holdout because he doesn't like what he's making, the team can go to the player and ask him to take a pay cut when he isn't performing to the level he is paid at. He can always decline a pay cut, but that would likely lead to him being cut.

We can never compare sports to what the soldiers are doing in the war. Those guys are grossly underpaid for what they do and under appreciated. I would like to see them holdout.

#6 ·
lol, it would be nice to see a soldier's holdout... maybe for say, some of the Halliburton or oil proceeds that the guys that they blindly follow are raking in at their expense since the main reason that football players or any athlete asks for more money is b/c they know that it is their service that leads to all the money that their bosses make and they just want what they deserve....

if only these "soldiers" on the gridiron would be as brainwashed as the soldiers on the battlefield then we wouldn't have these problems and players would just go out and do what they're told under the threat of being put in jail for not co-operating... with those consequences, it's much worse than being "cut"

#9 ·
is stickum still allowed in the NFL-he fumbles a lot
no but i'm sure he can do the Moises Alou and cover his hands in a bodily substance in the shower to help his performance, only I don't think in Devin's case it'll be a #1 more like baby batter...

#14 ·
While I agree he needs to get paid, if he were smart, he would establish himself as a #1 wide out on the team first then ask for #1 wide out money.

If he were to get his contract redone right now, he would not get #1 wide out money and then be holding out against next year.

#16 ·
Agreed. I think his agent is not doing the best thing for him. Other Bears players have dropped him (Tommie Harris, Bernard Berrian) and he is the guy that had Benson hold out almost all of his Rookie camp. See how well Benson turned out. Bears have shown they will take care of their guys, he just needs to be patient and he did the right thing by coming back to camp to get some reps at wideout. I'm gonna say Hester told his agent he's going to camp as its been reported that Hester really wanted to be there all along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.