Are the Cubs that good? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Are the Cubs that good?

I am not really a big Cubs fan, but I was just looking at the numbers and they are looking real good. They have a great starting pitcher rotation and they are tearing it up on the offensive side as well. If they continue on this tear then I predict that they will be the new world series champs.

My question is are the Cubs really that good or is the NL that weak?

Please, no basking in this thread just some statistical analysis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
They are solid and deep and they have a good shot at doing well in the post season. If Harden can stay healthy the trio of zambrano/harden/dempster looks real good. Arizona has Webb/Harren which is probably the best 1-2 pitchers in the league which would be tough in a five game series. The brewers also have a good 1-2 in Sabathia and Sheets but the Cubs can only see them in the NLCS if they both make the playoffs. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

ya as much as its protocol to hate the cubs I gotta give them props where its due. They are playing some damn good ball. Seems like they just cant lose. You guys need to pray they dont screw it up in the postseason because if they dont win it this year its time to wait another 100 years before you get another chance

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

it is a well put together team
the downfall if there is one is their middle relief and maybe a fifth starter

although they can over come much of that if they continue to tear the cover off the ball

yes, they are that good

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 AM
REDLEG!!!!!

Sportbike: Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
Years Riding: 28
How you found us: tripped over clsb during a drunken stupor

Send a message via Yahoo to lunardog
this season is probably the best chance we`ll ever get at a crosstown series

Operating a motorcycle. So easy, even a caveman can do it. Knowing how to ride? Priceless.

Ray
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

They're leading the majors in a bunch of offensive catagories. Leading the NL in a bunch more. September is a tough schedule though.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

The Cubs are more solid than most any other team I've seen in recent memory. Starting pitching has been solid. Zambrano, Dempster, and Harden would all be #1 starters on most anyother team.

Wood and Smardzija have been unhittable in the late innings.

The bench has played great. Fontenot and Ward both contribute clutch base hits and both play good defense when needed. Both would be everyday players on a lot of teams.

Edmonds and Johnson are thee best outfield platoon in all of baseball right now. Figuring in defense and offense.

Soto will be ROY and will go to the hall of fame if he continues to play like he has all year. You listen to any Cubs pitcher and the love how he calls a game. The man has incredible baseball smarts, plays solid defense. His offense has been amazingly solid all year. Mark my words about the HOF thing. He plays like this for 8-10 years, he will be a first vote HOFer.

No one on the team doesn't contribute and there is no dead weight on this team. Except maybe former sox Neil Cotts. He makes me nervous when he's on the mound

Eric
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 AM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

they won't need a fifth starter in the post season.

the most important thing they have is chemistry. i have played on alot of baseball teams and when you are on a team that "gells" you have fun, stay loose and win ballgames.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Both... The NL typically is not as strong as the AL (NL hasn't won an all star game in how long??) But that's neither here nor there. The point is that the NL Central has turned it up this year, 4 of the 6 teams over .500 The Cubs are .621 or so. That's pretty impressive! While the other teams on top of the standings in the NL are over .500, their divisions aren't as tough as the Central. So, it should be an interesting rest of the month and September! Personally I think we'll have an NL Central and AL East World Series in 08. Maybe a Cubs/Boston series??

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
The Cubs are more solid than most any other team I've seen in recent memory. Starting pitching has been solid. Zambrano, Dempster, and Harden would all be #1 starters on most anyother team.

Wood and Smardzija have been unhittable in the late innings.

The bench has played great. Fontenot and Ward both contribute clutch base hits and both play good defense when needed. Both would be everyday players on a lot of teams.

Edmonds and Johnson are thee best outfield platoon in all of baseball right now. Figuring in defense and offense.

Soto will be ROY and will go to the hall of fame if he continues to play like he has all year. You listen to any Cubs pitcher and the love how he calls a game. The man has incredible baseball smarts, plays solid defense. His offense has been amazingly solid all year. Mark my words about the HOF thing. He plays like this for 8-10 years, he will be a first vote HOFer.

No one on the team doesn't contribute and there is no dead weight on this team. Except maybe former sox Neil Cotts. He makes me nervous when he's on the mound
marquis pains me to see on the mound
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Model citizen

Cubs stats, all of MLB....

1st Batting average
1st OBP
1st BB
2nd RBI
3rd total bases
3rd hits
2nd runs
7th HR

1st wins
1st K's
4th ERA

Eric
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I am not really a big Cubs fan, but I was just looking at the numbers and they are looking real good. They have a great starting pitcher rotation and they are tearing it up on the offensive side as well. If they continue on this tear then I predict that they will be the new world series champs.

Please, no basking in this thread just some statistical analysis.

The NL really is that weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb.com
Interleague Play wrapped up with the American League claiming a prominent 149-103 advantage over the National League.
The Cleveland Indians and the Toronto Blue Jays were the only 2 American League teams below .500 against the NL and the Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds, and New York Mets were the only NL teams above .500. The AL just dominated the NL this year.

Beyond that the Cubs Strength of Schedule is terrible. I keep hearing how "battle tested" the Cubs will be. Well according to ESPN the Cubs have the 22nd (out of 30) strongest strength of schedule. Below the Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, Astros and Pirates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/...sortColumn=sos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
ya as much as its protocol to hate the cubs I gotta give them props where its due. They are playing some damn good ball. Seems like they just cant lose. You guys need to pray they dont screw it up in the postseason because if they dont win it this year its time to wait another 100 years before you get another chance
Fat lou has a reputation for that. Remember when he was with the M's and they won liek 120 games and went out in the first round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunardog View Post
this season is probably the best chance we`ll ever get at a crosstown series
+1, the Cubs will never have this kind of team again. They have royally screwed themselves they way everyone's contracts are structured. Who else is holding their breath for the fire sale on the north side?

As soon as that team is sold the name to the stadium and the team will be sold off to the highest bidder. And how many of you Cubs fans are going to trek out to the burbs to watch a cubbies game?

Quote:

You are talking first ballot HOF and he hasn't even made it through his rookie year yet? I don't know why I am surprised to hear this from a cubs fan, but I still am.

He's had a good rookie year, should be up there in the ROY voting but come on, first ballot HOF??? You've got to be kidding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Both... The NL typically is not as strong as the AL (NL hasn't won an all star game in how long??) But that's neither here nor there. The point is that the NL Central has turned it up this year, 4 of the 6 teams over .500 The Cubs are .621 or so. That's pretty impressive! While the other teams on top of the standings in the NL are over .500, their divisions aren't as tough as the Central.

You are off your rocker. The top of the NLC is so far up there because they play the bottom of the NLC. There isn't a 2nd place divisional team in baseball right now that doesn't wish they were in the NLC.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
You are off your rocker. The top of the NLC is so far up there because they play the bottom of the NLC. There isn't a 2nd place divisional team in baseball right now that doesn't wish they were in the NLC.
Huh?

NLC vs NLE - 100-78
NLC vs NLW - 95-75

Quote:
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Huh?

NLC vs NLE - 100-78
NLC vs NLW - 95-75

You are trying to tell me Boston, the Yankees, hell even Toronto, Minnesota, Cleveland, the White Sox, Texas The Mets the Marlins and the Dodgers wouldn't want to play the Astros, Reds and Pirates ~15-18 times per year????

What do you think that would do for their records?

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

I've seen alot of Cubs teams and suffered through alot of heartbreak as a Cubs fan... This is the best Cubs team(Keyword) I have ever seen since I was old enough to understand the game. This team has eclipsed '69...'84...'89 (the most exciting Cubs team because they were so unexpected!)...and so on. They are playing with confidence and spirit and utilizing their talents and capitalizing on their opportunities better than ANY Cubs team I have ever seen. YES..They are that good!
Where will this lead? Who knows! Baseball is far too fickle of a game to predict...all the talk about weak division's and easy schedules is bull$hit! On any given day any team can be beaten or have a great day. This is the Cubs team with the best chance of going all the way I have ever seen...I'm going to relish this ride to its end no matter where the final stop is! GO CUBS!
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Ride Naked

Quote:
Huh?

NLC vs NLE - 100-78
NLC vs NLW - 95-75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
I've seen alot of Cubs teams and suffered through alot of heartbreak as a Cubs fan... This is the best Cubs team(Keyword) I have ever seen since I was old enough to understand the game. This team has eclipsed '69...'84...'89 (the most exciting Cubs team because they were so unexpected!)...and so on. They are playing with confidence and spirit and utilizing their talents and capitalizing on their opportunities better than ANY Cubs team I have ever seen. YES..They are that good!
Where will this lead? Who knows! Baseball is far too fickle of a game to predict...all the talk about weak division's and easy schedules is bull$hit! On any given day any team can be beaten or have a great day. This is the Cubs team with the best chance of going all the way I have ever seen...I'm going to relish this ride to its end no matter where the final stop is! GO CUBS!
Lets try the alleged worst league in baseball, the NLW, right?. How about the Dodgers? They are a couple games under .500. they are 3 Games back of the leaders in the NLW. The NLW is so weak the leaders are hovering around .500. You don't think the Dodgers would trade places with the Cubs in a heartbeat? Let's see what they have done against the rest of the NLC?

LAD v. CIN 7-1
LAD v. HOU 3-4
LAD v. MIL 4-2
LAD v. PIT 2-1
LAD v. STL 2-4

18-12

Project that winning % out for the 81 games they would play against those teams and you get, what? a dozen more wins this season? Maybe more? Didn't do the math on this one yet.

As opposed to their division

LAD v. Ariz 5-7
LAD v. Col 8-7
LAD v. SF 7-5
LAD v. SD 4-5

24-24

You don't think playing against the NLC would help out even the lowly Dodgers?

Yea, it must suck to be a halfway decent team in the NLC.

Quote:
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM

they lead the most 5 run inning category with 24/25 times.

they lead with the most walks taken

Saw those 2 stats during the game last night when they opened it up in the 8th. Cubs are always that good in my book.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
You are trying to tell me Boston, the Yankees, hell even Toronto, Minnesota, Cleveland, the White Sox, Texas The Mets the Marlins and the Dodgers wouldn't want to play the Astros, Reds and Pirates ~15-18 times per year????

What do you think that would do for their records?
This year no they wouldn't. I think they like playing KC, ATL, SD, SF, Washington, Seattle, Oakland, Detroit. The only division which is better than the NLC this year is the NLE IMO and the numbers back that up. Let's look at how the NL teams you mentioned have done against the "horrible" Pit, Cinci, and Astros....

Mets - 10 - 10
FL - 5 - 8
LA - 12 - 6

for a total of 27 - 24 yeah real domination They've actually done better against the rest of the league.

Quote:
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Lets try the alleged worst league in baseball, the NLW, right?. How about the Dodgers? They are a couple games under .500. they are 3 Games back of the leaders in the NLW. The NLW is so weak the leaders are hovering around .500. You don't think the Dodgers would trade places with the Cubs in a heartbeat? Let's see what they have done against the rest of the NLC?

LAD v. CIN 7-1
LAD v. HOU 3-4
LAD v. MIL 4-2
LAD v. PIT 2-1
LAD v. STL 2-4

18-12

Project that winning % out for the 81 games they would play against those teams and you get, what? a dozen more wins this season? Maybe more? Didn't do the math on this one yet.

As opposed to their division

LAD v. Ariz 5-7
LAD v. Col 8-7
LAD v. SF 7-5
LAD v. SD 4-5

24-24

You don't think playing against the NLC would help out even the lowly Dodgers?

Yea, it must suck to be a halfway decent team in the NLC.
You picked the team with the best record against the NLC as your example. Not exactly representative of the rest of the league. Anyone can make a point by picking the example that best supports your case.

Quote:
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Model citizen

I can't give JoJo anymore rep

The world will always be full of jealous people

Eric
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

I honestly think that the cubs are that good. Look how they started this year on the road and struggling to win 1 out of 3 games each road series. Look at the trading they have done during the season and how much they have improved. They have definatly pulled it together for the end of the year IMO. If they can stay healthy and keep playing like we are, then I do believe this is the best cubs team I have ever seen. Every single person in the line up makes a difference. Its not just 2 or 3 big players doing it all, its the team. Every night theres a new person that does something outstanding and wins the game. From pinch hitters to everyday guys. They ALL Contribute to win games

There are also a lot of close 2nds compared to the cubs. The angels, brewers, and rays are right behind us as well in the overall standings. They also have awesome teams that are just as capable as anyone to do something this year. I think its really gonna end up being which team can make the least mistakes that will win it all. Its so close that when the playoffs come its really gonna be who can make the plays everytime and excute when needed.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
I can't give JoJo anymore rep

The world will always be full of jealous people
+1, You can really spot the two sox fans in this thread.
"must spread around rep before......."

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
I honestly think that the cubs are that good. Look how they started this year on the road and struggling to win 1 out of 3 games each road series. Look at the trading they have done during the season and how much they have improved. They have definatly pulled it together for the end of the year IMO. If they can stay healthy and keep playing like we are, then I do believe this is the best cubs team I have ever seen. Every single person in the line up makes a difference. Its not just 2 or 3 big players doing it all, its the team. Every night theres a new person that does something outstanding and wins the game. From pinch hitters to everyday guys. They ALL Contribute to win games

There are also a lot of close 2nds compared to the cubs. The angels, brewers, and rays are right behind us as well in the overall standings. They also have awesome teams that are just as capable as anyone to do something this year. I think its really gonna end up being which team can make the least mistakes that will win it all. Its so close that when the playoffs come its really gonna be who can make the plays everytime and excute when needed.
I agree with you here too.
Even when the Cubs play sloppy, they are still in it, such as last night. They have a never give in mentality.
We as Cub fans have the mentality that the Cubs will break down, but if you are a fan of the Phillies, D-Backs or Brewers, do you really want your team to face the Cubs in Wrigley in October? Facing these Cubs hitters and facing these Cubs pitchers? Nope

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Even when the Cubs play sloppy, they are still in it, such as last night. They have a never give in mentality.
Lets not lift the desk too much about last night. They played the AA Pirates.

Quote:
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Head Stepper

Quote:
Lets not lift the desk too much about last night. They played the AA Pirates.

<-------- Jeff

post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
The Pirates are suddenly a good team?

Did I miss something in the last 2 weeks of the season?

Quote:
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Head Stepper

Quote:

No, my point was that you kind of have a bad attitude towards Cubbie Nation. You can't base a team's success on who the beat and where. If the Cubs win more games than anyone else in their division, they go to the playoffs. Right now, they have won more games than any other team in their division. That's what first place means. So... If they beat the Pirates and the Pirates are a mediocre team at best. The Cubs are still pitching great and hitting the ball.

The Sox are a good team this year too... But they split a series a piece this year. So does that say anything about either team? No. It's a long season to focus on one game/team/series. Take a step back and look at the whole picture. And you will see that the Cubs are a great team this year.

<-------- Jeff

post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:

No one is claiming that the Pit is the best team in baseball but they are a major league team. Before they traded Nady and Bay I thought they were decent. They did have a 48-52 record against everybody except the cubs at that point which isn't that bad.

Quote:
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
You can't base a team's success on who the beat and where.

You can't??? So if they played 162 games in Fat Lou's backyard against 13 year olds, who cares? They are still 100+ game winners!!! yay!!!!!!

Quote:
If the Cubs win more games than anyone else in their division, they go to the playoffs. Right now, they have won more games than any other team in their division. That's what first place means. So... If they beat the Pirates and the Pirates are a mediocre team at best. The Cubs are still pitching great and hitting the ball.

The Sox are a good team this year too... But they split a series a piece this year. So does that say anything about either team? No. It's a long season to focus on one game/team/series. Take a step back and look at the whole picture. And you will see that the Cubs are a great team this year.
Ok, fine. I'll discount this post for the sake of it. But how does "coming back" and beating the pirates get you all hot and bothered and make them a "never say die" team? It's the pirates. They suck. They give it up to everyone. So who cares.

Quote:
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
No one is claiming that the Pit is the best team in baseball but they are a major league team. Before they traded Nady and Bay I thought they were decent. They did have a 48-52 record against everybody except the cubs at that point which isn't that bad.
But the cubs didn't come back and win that game against the Pirates with Nady and Bay, did they? That is a pretty useless argument. Almost as useless as the Pirates have been since making the trade. That would be the team the Cubbies beat last night. The useless one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecord.com
The Pirates are 7-16 since trading left-fielder Jason Bay of Trail, B.C., to Boston on July 31, a week after sending right-fielder Xavier Nady to the Yankees. Since the Bay trade cost them their most productive offensive player, the Pirates have scored more than five runs only twice and have been held to three runs or fewer 15 times.
http://news.therecord.com/Wire/Sport...article/404814

Quote:
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM
PPF Installer

Sportbike: 01 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: post on gixxer.com

I liked the stat last night of the 6,7,8,9 hitters in the batting order. Did you know that the Cubs have a better batting average in the 9th spot than the best teams in the AL, and we are talking about PITCHERS here against everyday hitters in the AL having a better BA

its gotta make you wonder now doesn't it.....

Bill
What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode