They Better Be Sorry! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
They Better Be Sorry!

The Bears took out a full page in both the Suntimes and Tribune today apparently:

Apology still not accepted, at least not until someone is fired.

...though, it is a nice gesture. What do the Cubs owe the city, 101 of these things?

Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

strange.

must be raising ticket prices next year

Eric
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

^ That.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
maybe this year they realized that they not only sucked horribly, but also that practically every bears fan is calling for a team overhaul, so maybe they should say something nice to ease things over. Cause we all know the bears are not going to swallow that much cash to replace certain coaches on the team.

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Buh-bye Ron Turner. You won't be missed!

Quote:
Bears Fire Ron Turner; Rod Marinelli Possibly Promoted to DC?

Per Vaughn McClure, the Bears have fired Offensive Coordinator Ron Turner, and there are conflicting reports surrounding Rod Marinelli being named as Defensive Coordinator.

The firing of Turner was not completely unexpected, as many have said throughout the season that he would be made the scapegoat should Lovie Smith retain his job.

This will be Marinelli's first gig as a Defensive Coordinator, if he is indeed promoted.

Brad Biggs reported that Smith will indeed remain Head Coach.

Also, per this article, TEs coach Rob Boras has also been fired.

UPDATE: WRs coach Darryl Drake and RBs coach Tim Spencer are sticking around, per McClure's Twitter. Also, QBs coach Pep Hamilton, OL coach Harry Heistand, and offensive assistants have all been fired.

The team has a press conference scheduled for 2pm CT that will be streamed on the team's official site.

Stay tuned for more details.
http://www.windycitygridiron.com/201...ron-turner-rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Gonna be the same old story next year with Lovie Smith and co.

It's a buncha old rams and lions coaches. Did you guys see the schedule? 6-10 at best.

teets
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

I say they hire Paul Johnson and start running the triple-option in the NFL. Couldn't be worse LOL

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Press conference now. They're keeping Smith and Angelo, yet, "aren't pleased with the status quo."

Typical. Let's reward mediocrity...

Smith just came to the podium.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Sportbike: 1996 YZF-600, 2006 Huffy
Years Riding: May '08 - Oct '12
How you found us: smartrider

Not the greatest season, but something that stuck me during the Lions game. One of the announcers said that Lovie decided to only use offensive plays that kept Cutler moving in the pocket which he likes.
Sounded to me at the time like the games we were losing before that, the Bears were trying different play styles with Cutler to see what worked or what could be used. Maybe not the best time to do so, but at least now they know for next year.

- Will

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Our life is a non-stop ride to our death.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Three Stooges: Phillips, Angelo, and Smith. They're all garbage and should be looking for new jobs today.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Three Stooges: Phillips, Angelo, and Smith. They're all garbage and should be looking for new jobs today.
yup.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Here is updated the RIP list and who gets to stay. I'm keeping my opinions to myself on this one.

Updated Jan 5, 2010 6:35 PM EDT
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP)
Lovie Smith will return for the Chicago Bears next season.

But he's done calling the defensive plays. His staff will have a new look, too.

The team fired offensive coordinator Ron Turner and five other coaches on that side of the ball Tuesday after going 7-9 with Jay Cutler at quarterback and missing the playoffs for the third straight year following a Super Bowl run.

News that Smith would return was first reported by FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer.

"This has been a frustrating season to say the least. We've had inconsistent play on both sides of the ball,'' team president and CEO Ted Phillips said. "Personally, it's been the most frustrating year since I've been here.''

He added: "The last three years, it's been clear nobody did a good enough job in the organization. Nobody did.''

The Bears had problems on offense and defense and fell far short of expectations after the blockbuster trade with Denver to get Cutler. But instead of bringing in a big-name coach like Bill Cowher, the Bears stuck with Smith, who has two years and $11 million left on his contract.

General manager Jerry Angelo, who was also under scrutiny, said he asked ownership if they wanted to go with a high-profile coach and would have understood if they did. Phillips, meanwhile, said Angelo recommended keeping Smith for a seventh season and that money was "a non-factor.''

"If we didn't believe as an organization that Lovie and Jerry could turn this around and get us back to our winning ways, then there would have been other changes made,'' Phillips said.

But he had also made it clear: The Bears had better win next season.

"We all know what we need to do,'' he said. "We're not happy. We're not happy with the season we had. We're not happy with the last three years, and the expectation is to turn it around in 2010. At the end of 2010, we'll go through another evaluation process and see where we're at.''

At the moment, they're not in a good spot. They've finished 7-9 in two of the past three seasons, and are trying to overhaul their staff at a time when the coach appears to be on shaky ground and potential labor issues loom.

"People will want to come here,'' Smith said.

Turner's second stint as Chicago's offensive coordinator lasted five years, a run that included two playoff appearances but ended with the Bears ranked 23rd in yards per game and 29th in rushing. A frosty relationship with Cutler probably didn't help, either.

Also fired were coaches Pep Hamilton (quarterbacks), Rob Boras (tight ends), Harry Hiestand (line), and assistants Luke Butkus and Charles London.

"I'm not going to say everything that went wrong with this Football team is because of how we ran our offense,'' Angelo said. "No. That's not right. It's a combination of a lot of things here.''

Smith said he will look outside for a defensive coordinator and that line coach Rod Marinelli is not a candidate for that job. For all the moves, though, Smith said he's looking for coaches with similar philosophies. And that "no matter who comes in here, we're going to have to run the football.''

"Changing schemes and all that, I think you have to stay with what you believe in,'' Smith said. "Obviously, you want a winning football team. ... We've been in a position where we've won with the things that we believe in, so why can't we do that?''

The Bears dropped eight of 10 following a 3-1 start, and as the losses mounted, so did speculation about Smith's job status. Angelo at one point refused to say that Smith would be back while insisting there was no need for a roster overhaul.

After finishing the season with wins over NFC North champion Minnesota and Detroit, Smith has a a 52-44 record since replacing Dick Jauron before the 2004 season.

Chicago went from 11 losses to 11 wins in the first two years under Smith, who was St. Louis' defensive coordinator, before going 13-3 in 2006 and making a run to the Super Bowl. Since then, the Bears are 23-25 and have finished below .500 twice.

The problems this year were well-documented.

Cutler was often scrambling for his life behind a struggling line and threw 26 interceptions, the most by a Bears quarterback since Sid Luckman's club record 31 in 1947 and the most in the NFL since Brett Favre threw 29 for Green Bay in 2005. He was under pressure, but he also made bad decisions while running back Matt Forte faltered after a promising rookie season.

There were a few positives, though.

Cutler's 3,666 yards passing were second-most by a Bears quarterback behind Erik Kramer's 3,838 in 1995, and an inexperienced receiving corps showed some promise. Johnny Knox ranked seventh among rookies with 45 catches for 527 yards and Devin Aromashodu came on strong over the final month and finished with 298 yards.

While the hammer fell on Turner, the defense wasn't much better even with Smith as the de facto coordinator after stripping the play-calling duties from Bob Babich, who officially still held the title while serving as linebackers coach.

The Bears lost star linebacker Brian Urlacher to a season-ending injury in the opener at Green Bay, a big loss for a team that was hoping to contend in the NFC, and the defense never showed the dominant form that led Chicago to the playoffs in 2005 and 2006. They were 17th in yards allowed, 21st in scoring and 27th in third-down conversions allowed.

"The years that we've been here, how many years have we been bad on third downs?'' Smith said. "One. Pretty much this past year. ... Our system, most people want to know what we do on third downs. They buy into what we've done.''

Team owner Virginia McCaskey, who watched the news conference from an auditorium balcony, and the McCaskey family issued a statement that expressed support for the changes.

"This season was difficult for everyone,'' the McCaskeys said. "We are thankful to Bears fans for their passion and are committed to bringing them a winner. The entire Chicago Bears organization understands the importance of being a consistent contender.''

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode