Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Moving violation while on supervision.

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Laddy 
#1 ·
OK so I got yet another moving violation while on the bike yesterday which I am really worried about because I am currently under supervision for another one I received last October.
My question is if I plead guilt and just pay the fine for this one without getting a lawyer and going into court, will the one I am currently serving out supervision for then also go on my record?
I have always been under the impression that if you receive another moving violation while you are currently "under court supervision" from one received previous, then both go on your record. Some one told me yesterday that I would only have the one received yesterday show on my record if I sent in the 75.00 and didn't try to fight it.
Can anyone definitively clarify this one for me? If it makes a difference, both were issued in Will County. The one I received in Oct last year was Bolingbrook police and the one I got yeasterday afternoon was from a Will County Sheriff.

Thx,

Phil

#3 ·
its not a conviction until you plead guilty. go to the court house and ask for a continuance for a month or two so the court supervision expires. worked for me. Might have been dumb luck though.

#6 ·
Phily-D said:
OK so I got yet another moving violation while on the bike yesterday which I am really worried about because I am currently under supervision for another one I received last October.
My question is if I plead guilt and just pay the fine for this one without getting a lawyer and going into court, will the one I am currently serving out supervision for then also go on my record?
I have always been under the impression that if you receive another moving violation while you are currently "under court supervision" from one received previous, then both go on your record. Some one told me yesterday that I would only have the one received yesterday show on my record if I sent in the 75.00 and didn't try to fight it.
Can anyone definitively clarify this one for me? If it makes a difference, both were issued in Will County. The one I received in Oct last year was Bolingbrook police and the one I got yeasterday afternoon was from a Will County Sheriff.

Thx,

Phil
If you go to court you will be at the mercy of the judge. It will cost you, though. One of my friends got a ticket during his supervision and it cost him around $300, but they put him back on supervision. If you just pay the ticket, BOTH will go on your record. Good luck with this. If it don't work out get a lawyer and go back.

#7 ·
Deuces said:
If you go to court you will be at the mercy of the judge. It will cost you, though. One of my friends got a ticket during his supervision and it cost him around $300, but they put him back on supervision. If you just pay the ticket, BOTH will go on your record. Good luck with this. If it don't work out get a lawyer and go back.

NO! Get a Lawyer before you even think of going back to court!

You will screw yourself if you don't go to court with a lawyer. You will screw yourself if you just pay the fine.

Get the Lawyer and play the game. Pay the money and save your drivers license.

BOTH OF THE TICKETS WILL GO ON YOUR RECORD IF YOU PLEAD GUILTY TO THE NEW ONE.

LAWYER!!!

#10 ·
According to the lawyer I used last time, he said that the older ticket will not automatically be put back on your record, the prosecuter has to file a motion for it to be taken off supervision and put on as a conviction.

#12 ·
Grasshopper said:
I don't know any other way to get my point across without typing "LAWYER" Ten times. :redface
LAWYER X 10!!!

Do not passs go, do not collect $200, do not screw around. You messed up, now you pay. You don't want to mess with potentially getting 3 strikes in 1 year.

#13 ·
I just skipped going to my court date by 6 months and then filed a motion for a new date and well got my $100 fine and 60 days supervision AGAIN for not stopping at a redlight :laughing

I didn't need a lawyer. I would also say depends on what both tickets are for?!?! :D

#14 · (Edited)
Grasshopper said:
NO! Get a Lawyer before you even think of going back to court!

You will screw yourself if you don't go to court with a lawyer. You will screw yourself if you just pay the fine.

Get the Lawyer and play the game. Pay the money and save your drivers license.

BOTH OF THE TICKETS WILL GO ON YOUR RECORD IF YOU PLEAD GUILTY TO THE NEW ONE.

LAWYER!!!

You guys and your lawyers :laughing

If you had seen what I've been through without a lawyer and the out comes, you'd be kicking yourself in the ass for hiring a lawyer. :flip

If you are on cout supervision and get another ticket the court doesn't know about it. Get supervison again and you are home free. Been there done that too many time to even count.

YOU WILL ONLY GET BOTH TICKETS ON YOUR RECORD IF YOU PLEAD GUILTY AND GET A CONVICTION

#16 ·
OK well, let me give you all the whole story.

Last spring, around March or so, I got a speeding ticket in Lisle on Warrenville Rd. for doing 15 over. Learned the lesson on this one about NEVER admiting to the officer that you exceeded the posted limit. Problem was that I was doing about 90 in a 45, and in an effort to minimize the damage, when he asked me haw fast I though I was going, I replied "about 60??" at which point the nice officer wrote me for doing 60 in a 45. Mistake I made was that he was never able to get me on radar and therefore had no idea/couldn't prove how fast I was going. The mistake I made was stating a number over the posted limit which was in effect an admission of guilt; lesson here kiddies is to NEVER admit guilt to the friendly officer because in essence you are sealing your own coffin. Do not let them trick you into the "nice cop routine" thinking that your honesty will be rewarded w/ a warning. :nono :nono Setup.

Anyway, I figure I got lucky on that one so I just sent in the money, admitted guilt on the form, and requested supervision which I received because my record was completely clean at that point.... Interesting point here is that Lisle only seems to have a 90 day supervision period for moving violations??? Can someone here confirm this??

Next ticket:
Last Oct. on my way back form a friends house I was going southbound on Essington rd. in unincorporated Bolingbrook. This is a 1.2 mile run of straight, clean road with soy bean fields on either side which grants you an unubstructed view of the nearest intersection over a mile away. In short, if you are going to do a banzai run, this is about as safe a place to do it as one could hope to find, and was the only place I had gotten into the triple digits as a rule. The stretch starts @ 111th and Naper-Plainfield Rd. by the Sids Nursery and ends at 119th. Short for the Sids Nursery at the corner of 111th and Naper-Plainfield Rd. there is only one other driveway (southbound) connected to that road and that is for a farm house about 1/4 mile down Essington on the east side which is visible for quite some distance before one would pass it. On the other side of the driveway (south) there is a group of bushes which on this particular night was unfortunately hiding a friendly Bolingbrook police officer whom I didn't see until my hibeam reflected off the Bolingbrook branding on the side of his cruiser. At the time I realized he was there I was doing about 120. I instinctively grabbed a handful of front and was able to get down to about 70 by the time I passed in front of his cruiser; the posted limit for this 1.2 mile stretch is 35. Obviously he came after me and I was pulled over w/ the engine stopped by the time he pulled in behind. He came up to me asked for license and proof of ins. and went back to the cruiser for about 15 mins. When I next heard his car door close, I saw the shadows of two sets of legs walking up behind me and it was then that I realized that I was going to jail. He clocked me on radar @ 112. Anyway, I have a clean record at this point, m class on the drivers license; good insurance and I showed nothing but the utmost respect for the officer throughout the entire ordeal even after he put the braclets on me and put me in the back of the cruiser. We sat for about 15 mins. as he waited for a call from his watch commander to see if he could let me go w/ a ticket for speeding 41+ mph over posted limit which is, by default, a reckless driving ticket in Illinois. I had to sign a "arrest and booking form" as well as the ticket issued, and he then let me go on my merry way without having to deal w/ my bike being impounded. Essentially, legally I was arrested but without having to go through the motions so to speak.
Court date was ~ 1 1/2 months later and of course I had retained legal representation to accompany me. Long story short, 750.00 fine, 20 hours community service, and traffic school (additional 40.00 fee), as well as 1 yr. court supervision; combined with the 200.00 for said attorney = 1000.00 total.

Next ticket:
Last Sunday north bound on Weber (Renwick?) coming from Joliet. 50 mph posted speed limit as I am approaching an intersection, a farmer going East bound on cross-street turns left to go north bound an Weber. He is in the number 2 lane (fast lane) and is only capable of ~ 15mph. I have now come to a stop because I am also in the fast lane about 3 or 4 cars back form the tractor. I am concentrating for the most part on my six because I am afraid that some idiot isn't paying attention and is going to wind up rear-ending me at 50 mph. Of course the line behind me is starting to pile up now and I am contemplating changing to the no. 1 lane so that I can get out of what I perceived as a somewhat hazardous situation. The problem was, as we all have experienced, the last vehicle to come up to the back of the line is still at speed and quickly changes to the no.1 so that he won't be the last in line. Now I am concerned that I will be struck as a secondary in a collision when one of the vehicles stopped behind me pulls out in front of someone at speed in the no.1 lane. So I look to my left, has a double solid line and I look down the road which is a good mile or so before there are any intersections to speak of and the closest approaching car is approx. 1/4 down the road so I decide to break the law and go around the left side crossing over the double yellow into oncoming lane and pass the 3 or 4 cars that are immediately behind the tractor and in front of me. I grab a handful and hit about 50 (2 to 3 secs) as I pass the tractor on his left. I didn't "buzz him" as I was at least a car width away from him on his left. Well as soon as I passed him and looked into my mirrors I saw the cherrys. I have no clue where he came from but he followed me around the left side of the tractor which only went to show that it was a safe (although illegal) manuver to make.
Despite my relaying to him why I chose to do what I had done, and despite the fact that I again adressed him with nothing but the utmost respect, I still received the ticket; crossing over center line 75.00 standard moving violation.
So now I am thinking I am f#*ked. I am also angry because I do not think the punishment I received for the one in October was appropriate when taking everything into consideration, mainly that if I f up at 120 on the stretch in question, I will hurt NO ONE but myself and even then we are talking maybe a few broken bones and some rash as I was in full gear and there is absolutely nothing to hit on this stretch, not even a curb just gravel and dirt. And for this I get arrested?!?!? If I was in a car, or even on the bike for that matter, amongst other traffic then yeah, I should get cuffed and spend the night in jail as well as a grand in fines and community service, but here?? No, I am sorry but this is simply a matter of f'n me out of my money. That cop should have let me go w/ lesser of a ticket when taking into consideration the terain and the fact that I have never been arrested as well as the respect I afforded him.:mad
Anyway, what do you guys and gals think, assuming you took the time to read this entire rant? I am pretty much f'd, aren't I?

#17 · (Edited)
Well, Phil, I read the whole post and I have to say that in regards to your 41+ mph over ticket/arrest I think you're just lucky you didn't get taken to jail and have your bike impounded. True, it was an open deserted road but the posted speed limit is 35 and you were riding way over that speed. You broke the law and got caught. It sucks, but maybe going 120 in a 35mph zone (no matter how deserted) isn't a good idea.

Now as for getting caught passing a tractor on a double yellow I'm not sure I understand the whole situation. Why didn't you move to the right lane and continue at the posted speed limit?

Like everyone else has said, get a lawyer.

#18 ·
Phily-D said:
OK well, let me give you all the whole story.

Last spring, around March or so, I got a speeding ticket in Lisle on Warrenville Rd. for doing 15 over. Learned the lesson on this one about NEVER admiting to the officer that you exceeded the posted limit. Problem was that I was doing about 90 in a 45, and in an effort to minimize the damage, when he asked me haw fast I though I was going, I replied "about 60??" at which point the nice officer wrote me for doing 60 in a 45. Mistake I made was that he was never able to get me on radar and therefore had no idea/couldn't prove how fast I was going. The mistake I made was stating a number over the posted limit which was in effect an admission of guilt; lesson here kiddies is to NEVER admit guilt to the friendly officer because in essence you are sealing your own coffin. Do not let them trick you into the "nice cop routine" thinking that your honesty will be rewarded w/ a warning. :nono :nono Setup.

Anyway, I figure I got lucky on that one so I just sent in the money, admitted guilt on the form, and requested supervision which I received because my record was completely clean at that point.... Interesting point here is that Lisle only seems to have a 90 day supervision period for moving violations??? Can someone here confirm this??

Next ticket:
Last Oct. on my way back form a friends house I was going southbound on Essington rd. in unincorporated Bolingbrook. This is a 1.2 mile run of straight, clean road with soy bean fields on either side which grants you an unubstructed view of the nearest intersection over a mile away. In short, if you are going to do a banzai run, this is about as safe a place to do it as one could hope to find, and was the only place I had gotten into the triple digits as a rule. The stretch starts @ 111th and Naper-Plainfield Rd. by the Sids Nursery and ends at 119th. Short for the Sids Nursery at the corner of 111th and Naper-Plainfield Rd. there is only one other driveway (southbound) connected to that road and that is for a farm house about 1/4 mile down Essington on the east side which is visible for quite some distance before one would pass it. On the other side of the driveway (south) there is a group of bushes which on this particular night was unfortunately hiding a friendly Bolingbrook police officer whom I didn't see until my hibeam reflected off the Bolingbrook branding on the side of his cruiser. At the time I realized he was there I was doing about 120. I instinctively grabbed a handful of front and was able to get down to about 70 by the time I passed in front of his cruiser; the posted limit for this 1.2 mile stretch is 35. Obviously he came after me and I was pulled over w/ the engine stopped by the time he pulled in behind. He came up to me asked for license and proof of ins. and went back to the cruiser for about 15 mins. When I next heard his car door close, I saw the shadows of two sets of legs walking up behind me and it was then that I realized that I was going to jail. He clocked me on radar @ 112. Anyway, I have a clean record at this point, m class on the drivers license; good insurance and I showed nothing but the utmost respect for the officer throughout the entire ordeal even after he put the braclets on me and put me in the back of the cruiser. We sat for about 15 mins. as he waited for a call from his watch commander to see if he could let me go w/ a ticket for speeding 41+ mph over posted limit which is, by default, a reckless driving ticket in Illinois. I had to sign a "arrest and booking form" as well as the ticket issued, and he then let me go on my merry way without having to deal w/ my bike being impounded. Essentially, legally I was arrested but without having to go through the motions so to speak.
Court date was ~ 1 1/2 months later and of course I had retained legal representation to accompany me. Long story short, 750.00 fine, 20 hours community service, and traffic school (additional 40.00 fee), as well as 1 yr. court supervision; combined with the 200.00 for said attorney = 1000.00 total.

Next ticket:
Last Sunday north bound on Weber (Renwick?) coming from Joliet. 50 mph posted speed limit as I am approaching an intersection, a farmer going East bound on cross-street turns left to go north bound an Weber. He is in the number 2 lane (fast lane) and is only capable of ~ 15mph. I have now come to a stop because I am also in the fast lane about 3 or 4 cars back form the tractor. I am concentrating for the most part on my six because I am afraid that some idiot isn't paying attention and is going to wind up rear-ending me at 50 mph. Of course the line behind me is starting to pile up now and I am contemplating changing to the no. 1 lane so that I can get out of what I perceived as a somewhat hazardous situation. The problem was, as we all have experienced, the last vehicle to come up to the back of the line is still at speed and quickly changes to the no.1 so that he won't be the last in line. Now I am concerned that I will be struck as a secondary in a collision when one of the vehicles stopped behind me pulls out in front of someone at speed in the no.1 lane. So I look to my left, has a double solid line and I look down the road which is a good mile or so before there are any intersections to speak of and the closest approaching car is approx. 1/4 down the road so I decide to break the law and go around the left side crossing over the double yellow into oncoming lane and pass the 3 or 4 cars that are immediately behind the tractor and in front of me. I grab a handful and hit about 50 (2 to 3 secs) as I pass the tractor on his left. I didn't "buzz him" as I was at least a car width away from him on his left. Well as soon as I passed him and looked into my mirrors I saw the cherrys. I have no clue where he came from but he followed me around the left side of the tractor which only went to show that it was a safe (although illegal) manuver to make.
Despite my relaying to him why I chose to do what I had done, and despite the fact that I again adressed him with nothing but the utmost respect, I still received the ticket; crossing over center line 75.00 standard moving violation.
So now I am thinking I am f#*ked. I am also angry because I do not think the punishment I received for the one in October was appropriate when taking everything into consideration, mainly that if I f up at 120 on the stretch in question, I will hurt NO ONE but myself and even then we are talking maybe a few broken bones and some rash as I was in full gear and there is absolutely nothing to hit on this stretch, not even a curb just gravel and dirt. And for this I get arrested?!?!? If I was in a car, or even on the bike for that matter, amongst other traffic then yeah, I should get cuffed and spend the night in jail as well as a grand in fines and community service, but here?? No, I am sorry but this is simply a matter of f'n me out of my money. That cop should have let me go w/ lesser of a ticket when taking into consideration the terain and the fact that I have never been arrested as well as the respect I afforded him.:mad
Anyway, what do you guys and gals think, assuming you took the time to read this entire rant? I am pretty much f'd, aren't I?
dude get a lawyer... he will be able to get either this ticket on your record, OR get you supervision... BUT what ever you do, DO NOT go to court without a lawyer...

about 6 years ago, I got a ticket in my car for doing 112 in a 55, cop wrote it at 98 in a 55 (43 over) and i got a ticket for it ($125) the problem was that LATER that month I got another ticket for going 75 in a 55 on the same road going the other direction, buy the same town, $75 ticket. When I went to court the judge said that I had a history of speeding and needed to learn my lesson, and gave me two convictions and upped the fines.. Little did I know that 2 convictions inside of 24 months when your under 21 means your license gets revoked... i went back to court, with a lawyer, cost me $150 and he got me out of it... if you go to a judge there is a good chance you could face alot worse... take this one conviction (doesn't hurt that much) and walk away after that

#19 ·
Mistake I made was that he was never able to get me on radar and therefore had no idea/couldn't prove how fast I was going. The mistake I made was stating a number over the posted limit which was in effect an admission of guilt; lesson here kiddies is to NEVER admit guilt to the friendly officer because in essence you are sealing your own coffin.
Jez man, I think the mistake you made was speeding. Now you have a problem admiting you did anything wrong.

I'd say after ticket #2 (plus given the severity of the violation) that a judge should slap you around like a rag doll. Good luck with all that.

On the other side of the driveway (south) there is a group of bushes which on this particular night was unfortunately hiding a friendly Bolingbrook police officer whom I didn't see until my hibeam reflected off the Bolingbrook branding on the side of his cruiser. At the time I realized he was there I was doing about 120. I instinctively grabbed a handful of front and was able to get down to about 70 by the time I passed in front of his cruiser; the posted limit for this 1.2 mile stretch is 35. Obviously he came after me and I was pulled over w/ the engine stopped by the time he pulled in behind. He came up to me asked for license and proof of ins. and went back to the cruiser for about 15 mins. When I next heard his car door close, I saw the shadows of two sets of legs walking up behind me and it was then that I realized that I was going to jail. He clocked me on radar @ 112.
Well as soon as I passed him and looked into my mirrors I saw the cherrys. I have no clue where he came from
Dude, you are about as good as anyone else on the road at predicting/anticipating reacting to an emergency. In this case you got busted by the 5-Oh instead of a kid running out in front of you. Consider this a warning.

#20 ·
Step 1: Admit you have a problem. In all these cases, you were clearly guilty and deserve whatever punishment is given.

Step 2: Remove this post, it CAN be used against you when you go to court.

Step 3: Get a lawyer.

Step 4: At least make a half-hearted effort to drive safely. While I don't disagree with any of your logic, I do disagree with your choices. Tripple digits should never be reached in a 35mph zone... ever.

Step 5: Save the speed for the track.

#21 ·
Chibeemer although you have never received a speeding ticket in the past I take offense to the suggestion that I would put anybody else in danger other than myself, let alone a child, when you obviously know nothing of the stretch of road in question.

I am a big boy and am fully capable of taking responsability for my actions such as I did by paying my fine the day after it was handed down in cash, doing more than I was required to for my community service, as well as being pro-active by calling the local college to arrange a date for traffic school other than the one I was assigned which was scheduled after the date I was to return to court and prove that I had fullfilled the obligations of my punishment.

I wonder how many of us here "have a problem" because they have at some point or another got on their bike, or worse in their cage and took it over 100 on public roads.

#22 · (Edited)
Chills said:
Now as for getting caught passing a tractor on a double yellow I'm not sure I understand the whole situation. Why didn't you move to the right lane and continue at the posted speed limit?
Chills I appreciate your ability to get your point across without having to sensationalize. The answer to your question has to do with the fact that I was at a stand-still attempting to merge w/ traffic on my right which was passing at about 45 to 50 MPH. At the same time, the cars in front of me as well as those directly behind were also trying to merge with said 45 to 50 MPH traffic also from a standstill, so my choices are continue to remain where I am and risk someone slamming into one of the cars behind me and as a consequence myself as well; merge with the 45 to 50 MPH traffic in the no 1 lane while keeping an eye out for fast approaching traffic in the no.1 lane, as well as the guy in front of me who may take the opportunity to merge into the no 1 lane at the same time as myself as well as the one behind me, or....I could do have done what I did which was to minimize the risks I was subjected to at no expense or risk to someone else despite chibeemers comments to the contrary. Sorry man but I would rather be alive then have as my epitaph, "gone...but at least he followed the law."

#24 · (Edited)
clearwaterms said:
dude get a lawyer... he will be able to get either this ticket on your record, OR get you supervision... BUT what ever you do, DO NOT go to court without a lawyer...

about 6 years ago, I got a ticket in my car for doing 112 in a 55, cop wrote it at 98 in a 55 (43 over) and i got a ticket for it ($125) the problem was that LATER that month I got another ticket for going 75 in a 55 on the same road going the other direction, buy the same town, $75 ticket. When I went to court the judge said that I had a history of speeding and needed to learn my lesson, and gave me two convictions and upped the fines.. Little did I know that 2 convictions inside of 24 months when your under 21 means your license gets revoked... i went back to court, with a lawyer, cost me $150 and he got me out of it... if you go to a judge there is a good chance you could face alot worse... take this one conviction (doesn't hurt that much) and walk away after that
Not to make you guilty by association, but thank you for stating that which bothers me about this whole thing, and that is the fact that it is a means of extorting money from those who cannot afford/choose not to afford an attorney. If the judge has as his motivation your safety when handing down the punishment, then why is it so well know that "you have to play the game" by retaining one of his brethren as a means of consistently having ones sentence/punishment reduced. Answer is because your safetly is not their concern.
If it was an even playing field for everyone and the punishment was handed down in a uniform fashion, than I would have little to bitch about.

Do you think that the prosecutors never get pulled over for a moving violation, only to be let go w/ a handshake and a smile when the officer learns who he or she is behind the wheel of that car?? I distinctly remember being present when my father was let go for speeding when I was a wee lad; all that was necessary was a flash of the ole' shield and we were on our merry way.

#25 ·
ChiefBD said:
I feel for you Philly-D, take comfort in knowing someone else will learn from this. My commute home tonight will be at a very leisure pace.
Your welcome:) I have always held that the reason for my existence is to show others by example the ramifications for one's mistakes. That will however cost you a beer:jester

#26 ·
Look at the bright side, at least you were not arrested, handcuffed and searched because you "fit a description." That was not a fun day for me. Damn Addison cops!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.