An interesting Illinois FOID fact - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

An interesting Illinois FOID fact

Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) Reporting

Although DHS does not administer the Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) in Illinois, DHS does play an important role in the activities that go into implementing the FOID program. If you are a provider of mental health treatment in Illinois the following information may be helpful in understanding the statutory basis of FOID and whether or not you have responsibilities for reporting information to the Department of Human Services.

In 1967, Illinois enacted legislation to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by providing a system of identifying persons who are not qualified to acquire or possess firearms and firearm ammunition within the State of Illinois. The Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Act designated the Illinois State Police (ISP) as responsible for administering the ACT (Laws 1967, p.2600, approved August 3, 1967, effective July 1, 1968. Codified at Illinois Revised Statutes, Ch. 38, Section 83-1 et seq.).

In 2007 Public Act 095-0564 & Public Act 095-0581 amended the FOID legislation. Most importantly "who must report" was expanded beyond inpatient hospital settings to include a number of other entities. These amendments also changed what information is reported and requires reporting within 7 days rather than every 30 days.

Reporting is accomplished via the web based system, called FOID Reporting System, developed and maintained by the Department of Human Services (DHS). DHS is responsible for comparing the data reported against the State Police FOID files to identify possible matches. The ISP is then responsible for investigating and processing the application for the FOID card.

DHS monitors compliance with reporting requirements and reports deficiencies to the Office of the Illinois Attorney General, Department of Financial and Professional Regulations, and other state authorities as needed.
Who Needs to Report?

Individually Licensed Mental Health Practitioners and Reporting Institutions can use the FOID Reporting System. Descriptions and what to report are listed on the Individually Licensed Mental Health Practitioners and Reporting Institutions information pages.
Apply for a FOID Card

If you are wanting a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card.Apply for a FOID card at (www.isp.state.il.us/foid)
Any Questions

If you have questions email us at [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Here I was thinking DHS = Department of Homeland Security.
So is the required reporting from the various mental health service providers the interesting aspect you were wanting to call attention to? From what I read here, it seems like a good piece of legislation. Keep firearms out of the hands of people who are not mentally stable, right?

the uncarved stone
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM
i am a newbie don't kick my butt please

Sportbike: BMX100
Years Riding: 27
How you found us: From the goodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
Here I was thinking DHS = Department of Homeland Security.
So is the required reporting from the various mental health service providers the interesting aspect you were wanting to call attention to? From what I read here, it seems like a good piece of legislation. Keep firearms out of the hands of people who are not mentally stable, right?
It's not just that. It may also keep current gun owners who may feel that they need help from getting it for fear of losing their weapons.
I wonder if there's folks who won't go get help because they don't want to lose their FOID.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartride View Post
It's not just that. It may also keep current gun owners who may feel that they need help from getting it for fear of losing their weapons.
I wonder if there's folks who won't go get help because they don't want to lose their FOID.
I hear what you are saying, I hadn't thought about that. Here are a couple of items that require further clarification to make a judgement about the legislation:

1. In 2007 Public Act 095-0564 & Public Act 095-0581 amended the FOID legislation. Most importantly "who must report" was expanded beyond inpatient hospital settings to include a number of other entities. These amendments also changed what information is reported and requires reporting within 7 days rather than every 30 days.

2. Individually Licensed Mental Health Practitioners and Reporting Institutions can use the FOID Reporting System. Descriptions and what to report are listed on the Individually Licensed Mental Health Practitioners and Reporting Institutions information pages.

I would need to see the details regarding the type of information being requested / required to make a call on it. Still, on face value I have to say that if someone is in need of mental health treatment, consuling, etc. I'm not sure that they should be allowed to own firearms. At minimum, I would certainly want these individuals to receive a more through eval from the ISP on their FOID card submission to determine whether the are mentally fit for owning a firearm.

the uncarved stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode