Thoughts on Illinois Gun Works Ltd? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Thoughts on Illinois Gun Works Ltd?

I'm doing some searching online, and for local stores, IGW keeps coming up as one of the more inexpensive ones...but considering it's neighborhood, I was wondering if they are really that good or just have (fake) low prices on the web.

I found them through http://www.galleryofguns.com which is a pretty neat search tool if you know exactly what you want, and just need to find it locally!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

I do not know them personally but they are good people from what I gathered the few times I went in. It is a smaller shop and not a mega store like GATS. There prices are pretty fair as you mentioned and they are all clearly marked in the store, none of this price side down stuff some places have. I would not hesitate buying from them.

Under200
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

I used gun genie from that site when I got my 22lr pistol. Was the easiest transaction I ever had. Just fill out what they want and put you deposit down. Go to the store your having it sent to and fill out the normal sheet and either pay the balance now or when you pick up the gun. Really good prices as well.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
I used gun genie from that site when I got my 22lr pistol. Was the easiest transaction I ever had. Just fill out what they want and put you deposit down. Go to the store your having it sent to and fill out the normal sheet and either pay the balance now or when you pick up the gun. Really good prices as well.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
i have only been there once, i was treated like CRAP.

there was 2 people behind the counter reading magazines, and a guy in a office, i walked in (this place is REALLY small) they didn't even say "hi" they just looked up, and went back to reading magazines. i walked up to them put my gun case on the counter in front of them, they still didn't even look at me. the guy in the back office without even getting up from his desk yells "can i help you?" i said i would like to get on the range. he says "the range is closed" i asked what time they closed and he said "8pm" (at this time it was only 5:15pm) I then asked when the range closed, he said it closes earlier in the day. Then i told him i called earlier in the day and talked to a man and he said the range closed at 8pm. basically got into a argument with the guy that it "wasn't anyone here, you prolly called the wrong place" I actually called them twice to confirm cause i didn't wanna drive all the way out there for no reason. also this whole time he talked to me by yelling from his office refusing to even get up and talk to me. i left the store and will NEVER return.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post

there was 2 people behind the counter reading magazines, and a guy in a office, i walked in (this place is REALLY small) they didn't even say "hi" they just looked up, and went back to reading magazines. i walked up to them put my gun case on the counter in front of them, they still didn't even look at me. the guy in the back office without even getting up from his desk yells "can i help you?" i said i would like to get on the range. he says "the range is closed" i asked what time they closed and he said "8pm" (at this time it was only 5:15pm) I then asked when the range closed, he said it closes earlier in the day. Then i told him i called earlier in the day and talked to a man and he said the range closed at 8pm. basically got into a argument with the guy that it "wasn't anyone here, you prolly called the wrong place" I actually called them twice to confirm cause i didn't wanna drive all the way out there for no reason. also this whole time he talked to me by yelling from his office refusing to even get up and talk to me. i left the store and will NEVER return.
That story sounds way familiar. I read something similar on another forum, but I couldn't remember what shop they were talking about...I wonder if it was IGW now.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

With gun genie you pick the store you want and you actually see the out the door price before you even commit.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Re: Thoughts on Illinois Gun Works Ltd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy

Never had one problem there except for the usual gunstore crap. The customers are the biggest problem. I mopar won't go any more then that speaks volumes to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Sportbike: 1996 YZF-600, 2006 Huffy
Years Riding: May '08 - Oct '12
How you found us: smartrider

Good call on Gun Genie.

Eric, if you head down to IGW give me a call and I'll meet ya there.

- Will

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Our life is a non-stop ride to our death.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Never had one problem there except for the usual gunstore crap. The customers are the biggest problem. I mopar won't go any more then that speaks volumes to me.
i could understand SOME shitty customer service from one employee, but from the whole store? that was just BS, plus i know i would never go there to shop since i took a quick look around and it looked like they had 4 guns in the case.

even there website doesn't show range hours, so i called to confirm and they even lied to me over the phone. seems like its more than one person there that is a problem, no sweat, i'll just take my money somewhere else, if you wanna go more power to ya, but i'm just saying i wouldn't waste my time.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil9 View Post
Good call on Gun Genie.

Eric, if you head down to IGW give me a call and I'll meet ya there.
It won't be till next month. I'm tapped this month with a recent purchase that I'll have photos of in a couple days.

Quote:
i could understand SOME shitty customer service from one employee, but from the whole store? that was just BS, plus i know i would never go there to shop since i took a quick look around and it looked like they had 4 guns in the case.
Thanks for the heads up Alex. If they are D-bags to me as well, you'll hear about it here fo-sho.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Re: Thoughts on Illinois Gun Works Ltd?

They have a small selection though they have gotten more in recently mainly lots of xd they are expanding to the store next to them. I mainly go just for the range because ten bucks is a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Sportbike: 1996 YZF-600, 2006 Huffy
Years Riding: May '08 - Oct '12
How you found us: smartrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
It won't be till next month. I'm tapped this month with a recent purchase that I'll have photos of in a couple days.

Thanks for the heads up Alex. If they are D-bags to me as well, you'll hear about it here fo-sho.
Nice. Can't wait to see.
And no rush on the field trip. I'm going just to check it out. Looking at Gun Genie I found what I want cheaper at other locations.

- Will

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Our life is a non-stop ride to our death.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Quote:

Wow, that sucks. I don't go often but I never had any problems. Was this recently? I could swear that the owners changed from 2 or 3 yrs ago.

Under200
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
Wow, that sucks. I don't go often but I never had any problems. Was this recently? I could swear that the owners changed from 2 or 3 yrs ago.
it was within the past year.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

Their selection has gotten bigger and they bought the motorcycle shop next door and made it a shooters alley "Hogans alley" for training. They do a lot of security training for various company's. I don't know if they allow civies to use it. i have been dealing with them since the 80's and only had 1 problem with them, when they were on the north side of Grand I had to wait for the chief of Elmwood Park to ok my Uzi purchase. Only took 3 days longer and I bitched about it. Was kinda a Homer Simpson like episode.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY They do a lot of business with the FOID applications and pretty timely. I would say I'd rate it a 8.5 out of 10 and yes they used to have guy's working there that just didn't care or even know a lot about what they were selling. They also had an expert gunsmith named Steve (R.I.P.) he was a gun god. I always say they treat an educated customer better than the rest which is wrong, try em again. JM2C "5 day's...But I'm mad now"
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Sportbike: bikeless!!!
Years Riding: 19 Years minus 14 years
How you found us: Member

I walked into the store two years ago with my Father and there was no one at all there for service. I actually called out to see if anyone was around! Should have walked out with a shitl load of guns.

Never been back.

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode