Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

King Daley at it again

2K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  Rob, Esq. 
#1 ·
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/2297436,new-requirements-for-gun-owners-052010.article

City could require gun owners get training, liability insurance if handgun ban overturned
Comments

May 20, 2010

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
Chicago gun owners could be required to take a training course, register their firearms, allow police to perform ballistics tests and even purchase liability insurance, if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns the city’s strictest-in-the-nation handgun ban.

Mayor Daley isn’t saying precisely what he will do in the face of almost certain defeat.

But to protect first-responders, he’s prepared to go above and beyond the replacement model crafted by Washington D.C. after its handgun ban bit the dust.

Washington requires gun owners to get five hours of safety training, register their firearms every three years and face criminal background checks every six years.

Gun owners there are further required to submit fingerprints and allow police to perform ballistic tests. They must keep revolvers unloaded and either disassembled or secured with trigger locks unless they have reason to fear a home intruder.

As sweeping as those provisions are, they apparently don’t go far enough for Daley, who hinted strongly at an insurance component to protect police officers and paramedics.

“You have to think about the first-responders. You’re putting them in a difficult position to make decisions. What happens if they don’t make the right decision? A person has a gun, but is [it] the person in the house? Does he have a right to carry a gun or is he the person [who] broke in?” Daley said.

“I’m not laying it out, but there are gonna be many topics we’re gonna talk about and who pays for it. And [the city may require] authorized people like the Chicago Police Department to train you.”

Earlier this year, Daley ridiculed the Supreme Court for affirming the Second Amendment right to bear arms while sitting in a protective bubble.

On Thursday, he continued to hold out hope that the justices would have an abrupt change of heart.

“You have to have confidence in the Supreme Court. Maybe they’ll see the light of day. Maybe one of them will have an incident and they’ll change their mind overnight,” he said.

Chicago's 1982 handgun freeze and a companion requirement that existing gun owners re-register their weapons every year — have been likened to Prohibition and denounced as a widely ignored charade.

Hours after an off-duty Chicago police officer was gunned down during an attempted robbery, Daley was asked how effective the law has really been.

He picked up a gun from a table full of weapons seized by Chicago Police and said, “If I put this up your butt, you’ll find out how effective it is. [Confiscating] this gun saved many lives. It could save your life.”

See less See more
#2 ·
"Earlier this year, Daley ridiculed the Supreme Court for affirming the Second Amendment right to bear arms while sitting in a protective bubble.

On Thursday, he continued to hold out hope that the justices would have an abrupt change of heart.

“You have to have confidence in the Supreme Court. Maybe they’ll see the light of day. Maybe one of them will have an incident and they’ll change their mind overnight,” he said. "

--- Prayer... the last refuge of a scoundrel.

#3 ·
Did the guy who goes everywhere followed around by a bunch of security carrying MP5's in a city that has banned handguns say the Supreme court is sitting in a protective bubble?

Fine - leave the gun ban on and move Daley down to Englewood without any security. Give up your own protective bubble Dick.

#10 ·
He really is a fucking idiot . Since when are law abiding gun owners a threat to the PD , fireman, paramedics ? I am glad he and his staff enjoy the armed body guards that the city pays for .

#11 ·
Aren't the supremes supposed to decide what's right and wrong without bias to conclude what's in americas best interest for america?

Daley likes what's for him. Fuck the rest of chicago. I don't want people to have guns to keep me safe"

Yea seizing this gun saved lives!

.....it was confiscated from a drug lord in the projects.....

#37 ·
That's about what I thought... I never understood why Daley and assorted other talking heads keep squaking about how gun control will stop "the killing".

Quick questions: What did the Dad shoot and kill with? Was he inside city limits? If it was a handgun, does he get charged or are there some circumstances that allow him to have a handgun?

#14 ·
Trinitrogen said:
Imagine the waiting list of those classes. Fffffffuuuuuuu....
It'll probably be harder than getting into the MSF beginner class
The class will never be available, but required, just like the current registration law. Then it will be back to the supreme court, to strike down his new "ban". Daley doesn't care what tge supreme court days, king kong don't have shit on him.

#16 ·
MoparBoyy said:
ballistics tests?! what are the chances that you will even get your gun back in the condition you gave it to them? hahahah thats funny.
Those tests will only be available from 11:00pm - 11:05pm. Doors open at 11:06pm. Lol

Reactions: ChiefBD
#18 ·
2weelpilot said:
it'd be easier to get him voted out of office
I dont understand why thats so difficult but Im not in Chicago
Because all the cemetearies, welfare recipients and flower pot lovers keep voting for him. If only people with common sense voted Daley would loose in a landslide.

#34 ·
Wow. Daley and his crew have to be some of the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/2288092,weis-indoor-homicides-category-051810.article

Chicago’s rising homicide rate spiked on Tuesday with a murder-suicide that left three people dead and three more bodies found in a car.

Police Supt. Jody Weis knows that he will ultimately find himself on the hotseat for the surge. But, he’s got a new defense.

He's creating a new category of "indoor" homicides — and downplaying what police can do about them..

#35 ·
Oh well hes a dick everyone knows it.

Daily's body guards (you mean the Chicago Police officers detailed to him) don't carry mp5's as someone suggested they carry what every Chicago police officer carry's a hand gun.

It should be no surprise he would retaliate when he loses in the courts.

#36 ·
Miss America contestants gave better answers to tough questions than he does. The fact is that neither he nor his police force can protect the citizens he has taken an oath to protect. This is what you get when you have an armed guard surrounding yourself and family ALL of your life. Remember his father was mayor for 20+ years too.

#38 ·
I live in Chicago and I can't stand mayor Daley and this stupid gun ban. Had that guy not been an officer and his father a retired cop, he would have been one of us dead on the street with our parent's potentially killed and our bike taken :(. And they would have probably gotten away with it. This situation proved more than anything why a gun ban should be lifted. One, his father was able to defend himself and stop a few of the suspects. Two, the asshole rotten thugs surely didn't have a legal gun. Thus, how can you ban or stop someone who never follows the rules and gives a shit about gun laws. Citizens having guns deters these rotten knuckleheads from messing with people.

#40 ·
Other than the 'insurance-liability' issue I have to say I agree with the rest of the stuff. Except the training by 'police', I'd rather be required to complete a training course held by a selection of private, certified individuals or companies. Overall cops can't shoot for a damn. When I used to go to target ranges to practice (like GAT or the old place in McHenry) the owners would tell me countless stories of who was responsible for all the holes in the ceiling and the lane separators: the local polices departments.

Seriously, the cops would rent the place out for a day and literally shoot the fuck out of everything. An old high-school friend is a cop in the burbs and he didn't know a pistol from a pestle and the little weapons training they gave him was astounding. I'll tell you I don't sleep well knowing that a good portion of the armed citizen-protection force out there can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Now I'm sure there are plenty of sharp-shooters on the forces, but I could out-shoot the majority with my one on near-sighted eye. So I'm all for training requirements, but please let it be more applicable than the rest of licensing exams we see required by the government. The owner should be able to field-strip, clean, reassemble, and at least hit the target paper at 25 and 50 yards. Hell, maybe even 100 yards. It used to be fathers and grandfathers taught these things to their children, but not anymore. I actually don't prefer the two-thumbed-texting-while-driving retards are brandishing weapons without at least receiving some expert training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.