Home owner 1 robber 0 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Home owner 1 robber 0

Well well well seems chicago isnt so strict about owning a hand gun after all

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...052610.article

Quote:
An 80-year-old Army veteran shot and killed an armed man who’d broken in to the two-flat where he and his wife live in East Garfield Park early this morning and fired at him.

He did what his son said “he had to do” after having vowed not to be victimized again following a robbery months earlier.

Neither the man nor his wife was hurt.

He was questioned by police and released without any charges being filed.

The dead man has a history of drug and weapons convictions. Police said they are continuing to investigate.

When he returned home, the man, 80 — who walked with the aid of a walking stick and wore a T-shirt emblazoned with President Obama’s face and name — told a reporter he didn’t want to talk about what had happened.

His 57-year-old son, though, said his father was “sorry that it happened, but it had to be him or us.”

The son said the intruder, armed with a pistol, came in through a rear window and ran up a rear staircase, banging on his locked door before running downstairs and being shot in a confrontation with the older man.

The intruder shot first before the veteran fired back and killed him, the son said and police confirmed.

“Evidently, he missed,” the son said of the intruder. "My father had no choice. It was him or the other guy.

“I heard boom-boom-boom, and there he was by the back door,” said the son, who was upstairs sleeping at the time of the break-in shortly after 5 a.m.

Walking slowly from the police car that brought them home, the couple returned to their home at noon. They slowly climbed the steps to their front door and went inside.

A couple of months ago, the man — a Korean war veteran with three children and six grandkids — had been robbed at gunpoint at his home by three intruders, his son said. The robbers took $150, he said — and his father bought a gun and vowed never to be a victim again.

“If homeowners can’t have guns to defend themselves and their families, there’s going to be more home invasions,” the son said. “My father’s glad he had a weapon. He did what he had to do.”

The son said he recognized the intruder from the neighborhood.

Though police hadn’t publicly identified the dead man, his mother said it was Anthony Nelson, 29, of the 3300 block of West Walnut.

Nelson had a history of drug and weapons convictions and was last released from prison in December, Lenora Nelson said and Illinois Department of Corrections records confirmed. Nelson was free on parole, the records show.

Nelson was studying to be a carpenter, his mother said, and was due to start a job next week clearing out homes.

She said he ate his favorite dinner with her Tuesday night — steak burritos — and that she hadn’t seen him since 9 p.m.

Of the man who shot her son, she said she has “no feelings for him at all.”

Neighbors applauded the elderly man’s actions.

“It’s a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead,” said Curtis Thompson, who lives next to the couple.

Thompson reflected on the break-in and added, “It could have been us.”

“I’d have done the same thing," said another neighbor, Audrey Williams, who has known the couple for more than 40 years. "They say we've got to give up our guns. But that's crazy."

The break-in happened at 5:22 a.m., according to police, when an armed man entered the home in the 600 block of North Sawyer Avenue on Chicago’s West Side, awakening the homeowner, who shot him.

Neighbors said the elderly couple are longtime residents of the block.

“They’re a nice, loving couple,” another neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, said of the elderly man and woman

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Article does not specify wether it was a shotgun/rifle (legal in Chicago) or handgun (band in the city).

Good for the old man. I'm also glad he did not make a statement to the reporters. I'm also glad no innocent people where physically hurt, hopefully they can cope emotionally.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
A lawyer has already volunteered his time pro bono for defense should the City bring him up on weapons charges for the gun...though I can't see it here, that would be really bad PR given the circumstance.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Long Guns are legal in the City, are they not?

I don't believe they say what kind of gun the old guy had.

Good for him. One less piece of shit on the streets.

ETA: Damnit, I must type slow, you all beat me to it.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
i'm sure Daley will forget to read this article.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...-resident.html

Quote:
As an 80-year-old Army veteran, his wife and great-grandson slept in their Humboldt Park home just before dawn Wednesday, a would-be burglar busted a basement window, crawled over discarded bikes and paint buckets, and made his way up winding stairs to an enclosed porch.

The intruder -- who police said wore stockings over his hands to keep from leaving prints -- wiggled the brass doorknob of the locked door that led to the first-floor apartment, but it didn't open, the family said. He then turned to the oversized glass window of the 80-year-old's bedroom, pulled out his gun and shot, police and family said.

But just as the man got off a second round, the homeowner, who had a handgun of his own, fired a single shot, killing the intruder, a police source said.

"He missed, (but) my daddy didn't," said the 80-year-old's son, Butch Gant, who lives upstairs in the two-flat in the 600 block of North Sawyer Avenue.

The shooting comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to rule by the end of June on Chicago's decades-old ban on possessing handguns. During oral arguments in March, the court's majority appeared almost certain to strike down the city ordinance and rule that residents have a right to a handgun at home.

Chicago police have long aggressively been trying to remove guns from the public, saying they are the principal weapons used in murders and employed by gangs to enforce turf through violence.

Handguns account for only one-third of all firearms owned in the United States but more than two-thirds of all firearm-related deaths each year, according to the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. A gun in a home is four times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, the council said.

But many in Chicago echoed the feelings of the victim's family that if he hadn't been armed, the frightening encounter could have ended in their deaths.

"He saved our lives," said the man's wife, 83, who had been asleep with her husband when the noise of shattered glass startled the family from its sleep about 5:20 a.m.

Police let the Korean War veteran, who walks with the aid of a cane, go without filing immediate charges because he appeared to act in self-defense, according to police sources.

The homeowner bought his handgun after being robbed just six months ago, having vowed not to be a victim again, his family said.

In an interview at the home, the wife said her first thoughts were of her 12-year-old great-grandson asleep in the next room. She rushed to wake him up and led him to the front living room, away from the gunfire.

"The only thing I could think is 'God, please save my husband, myself and my grandbaby,'" she said.

The wife's hands continued to tremble hours after the shooting.

"I was scared to death," she said. "You're in your bed asleep, and somebody shoots a gun in your home. I'm still shook up."

Neighbors and family heralded the actions of the homeowner.

"He just protected his family," Gant, 57, said. "That's the most important thing to do, protect your family."

The intruder was later identified by his family as Anthony Nelson, 29, who was on parole since December following a three-year prison sentence for a drug conviction, according to county and state records.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, his blood splattered just feet away from the couple's bedroom window.

anthony_nelson_150.jpgNelson (see prison photo at right) had a 13-page rap sheet that includes a number of drug and weapons convictions dating to 1998, according to police and court records. He lived less than a mile from the home he broke into. Neighbors recognized him from his mug shot as a man they had seen at the corner liquor store who went by the name "Big Ant."

"I just don't want to believe it's true," said his mother, Lenora Nelson, who said her son earned his GED while in custody and had just signed up for an online carpentry program. "He could fix almost anything," she said. Nelson was supposed to begin a job next week for a company that cleans out homes before they're remodeled, she said.

The last time she saw her son was Tuesday night, when they had his favorite meal -- steak burritos -- for dinner, she said. When he left around 9 p.m., he didn't tell her where he was going, she said.

Since being freed on parole, Nelson began working with an organization that helps former inmates find jobs once they're released from prison, his mother said.

Police declined to identify the 80-year-old shooter, saying he was a victim of a crime and it was against department policy to name him.

The homeowner met his wife while working as a presser at a dry cleaners. His wife, a retired nurse, also worked as a monitor on a bus for disabled children. Next month they will celebrate their 60th anniversary. The couple have lived in the same house for more than 40 years, but the wife is thinking about moving.

"How much can you take?" she said.

In the West Side neighborhood where the home invasion occurred, longtime homeowners have created a relatively stable community on their street -- an oasis from shootings. Neighbors said their stretch of North Sawyer Avenue had been a good place for families to raise their children a generation ago, but as the aging population dies, new residents move in and a heightened sense of danger grows.

Some residents choose different forms of protection. Audrey Williams, 75, said she keeps five dogs on her property to guard her home, but "this is the first time that we've had an incident like this, on this street, and I've lived here for 43 years," she said.

"They did the right thing. If anyone tried to come in on me, I'd do the same thing," said Williams, who has described the family as "sweet people who don't bother anyone."

One neighbor used to help the couple carry in groceries because they both walk with canes.

"Everyone around here looks around for each other and watches each other's homes," said Jose Perez, who has lived in the area about five years.

Throughout the day Wednesday, a family friend worked to board up the two broken windows. The son said the shooting demonstrates why Chicago's handgun must be repealed.

"How are we going to protect our homes without guns?" the son said. "That gun law should be abolished. You don't need guns on the street, but you need them in the home for protection."

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
I don't think Daley knows how to read.

He's what you call, a retárd.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.

Last edited by Rob, Esq.; 05-27-2010 at 08:36 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout67 View Post
Article does not specify wether it was a shotgun/rifle (legal in Chicago) or handgun (band in the city).

Good for the old man. I'm also glad he did not make a statement to the reporters. I'm also glad no innocent people where physically hurt, hopefully they can cope emotionally.
It was a hand gun announced over radio and also insider info.

We dont need history lesson on legalities in chicago since must if not all know them already.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26...-home-invader/

Quote:
No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 05-27-2010 at 08:49 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
It was a hand gun announced over radio and also insider info.

We dont need history lesson on legalities in chicago since must if not all know them already.
If old man did use a handgun, then yes, I am surprised he was released.

In my book justifiable is still justifiable.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:

See edit

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Good for him! Who's next! Time to get the scum off the streets!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I'm confused. Why didn't the gun start killing family members? Aren't guns evil?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
A lawyer has already volunteered his time pro bono for defense should the City bring him up on weapons charges for the gun...though I can't see it here, that would be really bad PR given the circumstance.
What's his name/contact info?

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Good for him. Why they tried to make the felon seem like he was a human being is beyond me.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Good for him. One less piece of shit on the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Good for him! Who's next! Time to get the scum off the streets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Good for him. Why they tried to make the felon seem like he was a human being is beyond me.

All of this!!!

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
Great story! Glad the home owner and his family are safe. RIP to the intruder (who got what he deserved) and condolences to his family (esp. his mother).
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

+1 AARP approves of this story.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Jesus christ. The intruder shot first as well. That man is 1000% justified in this, no questions asked. Glad that scumbag is off this Earth.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Where's Daley on this? I'm during to hear his sound bite. Anyone heard his responseto this? Post it up

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

^ He'd say that the illegal gun that was used to kill the robber should have been taken off the streets...ha-ha...and would have ...ha-ha....saved a life (the intruder's)...ha-ha...

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Jesus christ. The intruder shot first as well. That man is 1000% justified in this, no questions asked. Glad that scumbag is off this Earth.
REP

i'm waiting to hear if the mom suggests mr Gant go to classes to learn to shoot to wound.

visor down
nesba #608
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

I saw this on the news this morning, the best part was the older lady that lived next door to the old man called him a hero.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:

i'm sure the cops are happy about this. They don't have to deal with a repeating offender. I'm sure they are letting the district attorney decide and leave their hands clean of it.

this guy knew how to clean up city streets
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Dude, your taste in cinema is truly ridiculous

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

No comment from Daley:
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...r-gun-ban.html

Coward. The city's policy is unconsitutional and wrong. They better not charge that man for a thing.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S Preston, Esq. View Post
I don't think Daley knows how to read.

He's what you call, a retárd.
What do you want him to do next? Take off his pants?

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Dude, your taste in cinema is truly ridiculous
The death wish series is awesome.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

good

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
No comment from Daley:

Coward. The city's policy is unconsitutional and wrong. They better not charge that man for a thing.
You know after that people really dont have a clue almost everyone of those comments on that page reference his body guards. UHHH wtf does the CPD detailed to dickdaley have to do with gun ownership and the laws.

I mean really every politician has off duty cops working for them if they are not detailed to them normally

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
The death wish series is awesome.
quite

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
No comment from Daley:

He is such a F%ckin P&ssy!! be a man, admit your wrong and do the right thing. Stop sponsoring what amounts to Osha for thugs and gangbangers and allow people to protect themselves like the rest of America.

- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode