Nikon Spotting Scope help 60mm or 82mm ED? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
Nikon Spotting Scope help 60mm or 82mm ED?

Looking at spotting scopes.. was hoping to get input from you guys. Basically I'm looking at Nikon because I have a d5000 and would eventually like to buy the adapter so that I can digiscope with the spotting scope later.

Nikon Fieldscope III 20-60x60mm $600

or

Nikon Fieldscope ED 25-75x82 $1300

Yes huge price difference. I wanted to hover around $500 for a spotting scope, but if the ED glass and larger objective were immensely better I might swing for it and cry all the way to the bank.

Thanks for your opinion and time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:51 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

I asked this question earlier this year, it seems this group doesn't have a lot of spotting scope experience.

Oddly enough, Bird Watchers have far, far more experience than most shooters when it comes to spotting scopes. In my research I learned the most from them (and a few snipers from the various sniper forums).

If those are your two choices, the 82mm almost always kills anything smaller. The light it lets in helps immensely, and the Fieldscope are highly regarded (I think that's what Ponch recommended to me)

I was leaning towards Nikon myself, (for obvious reasons), but the Birders and some snipers recommended this great budget scope, that takes standard telescope eyepieces...which means *lots* of options for eyepieces and adapters (including the Nikon adapters). The Celestron also has the ED glass, just like the Nikon (rumor has it, made in the same place as the Nikon ED glass)

I looked through *many* scopes, and I'd put this Celestron up against that Nikon. The Nikon would edge it out in contrast, and maybe sharpness on the finest scale, but at *twice* the cost. And it wasn't a big enough of a difference to me that I was willing to pay 2X+.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._3_1_80mm.html

I'd be happy to let you peep through the Celestron and see what you think.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 09-09-2010 at 09:54 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Also, since this scope uses standard Telescope eyepieces, you can improve this ones sharpness and/or range by buying some high end Japanese glass...and it would then probably surpass the Nikon 82mm in sharpness and contrast.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Here's the link to the origanl thread by LR.

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...spotting+scope

The Nikon ED glass has a coating on the lenses to make them more vivid and vibrant. As LR stated through his research the big guns on this type of thing are Bird Watchers. Anyone who looks through glass for prolonged periods of time at things with high contrats or vivid detail benefit from ED glass of one form or another. The larger objective, while does allow some more light in, will only enlarge your field of view. Again, depending on what you are shooting at the size of your field of view may or may not be an issue.

So as I always say... you gotta ask yourself, what do you need this piece of kit to do? If spotting holes in paper under 200 yards is the goal just about anything will get the job done. If you plan on glassing for hours upon hours and go cheap it will feel like watching a 13" B&W TV in comparision. One thing you mentioned was about the camera connection.... don't do that. Meaning don't base any part of the decision on that aspect. Either buy a spotting scope or buy a camera lens. If the scope you choose fits the bill and can also be used as a lens great, if not so what.

My take on spotting scopes.... I don't need them. I use .30 bullets or larger and most of my scopes are of 32x or greater. I can spot with my scopes. But this is for teh type of shooting I do.

if you need to see bullets of .22 at long distance, 200+ yards, and be able to see the group size then 45x and above is needed. Or if your identifing rank on a shirt or something that needs detail I could see a use for it.

In LR's case he has access to a range with a 600 yard line and I know he and his woman shoot their 10/22's a lot so I can see neededing the spotting scope. It's all diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

I would say look thorugh LR glass and then look through mone and see if thge $ is worth it to you.

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Here's the kit I run

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post

In LR's case he has access to a range with a 600 yard line and I know he and his woman shoot their 10/22's a lot so I can see neededing the spotting scope. It's all diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

I would say look thorugh LR glass and then look through mone and see if thge $ is worth it to you.
Even with kick ass glass, finding .22 and .223 holes at any distance sucks.

Look, I just found a great reason to upgrade to .308!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

I was leaning towards Nikon myself, (for obvious reasons), but the Birders and some snipers recommended this great budget scope, that takes standard telescope eyepieces...which means *lots* of options for eyepieces and adapters (including the Nikon adapters). The Celestron also has the ED glass, just like the Nikon (rumor has it, made in the same place as the Nikon ED glass)

I'd be happy to let you peep through the Celestron and see what you think.
LR, have you hooked up your glass to your DSLR? If there's an adapter I'd probably lean more towards that scope.

Otherwise, I think for my future purposes getting the 82mm ED Nikon scope might work out better for me. I know it's expensive, but I'd like to think that I'd want to take shots of wildlife or etc in the future (unless this is crazy).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

JFC

LR and Ofc

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode