Army gets new M24 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru
 
Ofc. Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Posts: 5,153
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Army gets new M24

Army Upgrades M24 sniper system to .300 WinMag; Army snipers smile, wince
Military Times Gear Scout, September 20th, 2010, posted by Rob Curtis

The Army today awarded a contract valued at up to $28.2m for Remington to upgrade up to 3600 fielded M24 sniper rifles from 7.62mm NATO to .300 Winchester Magnum. PM Soldier Weapons began the competition back in January, 2010, and has made other changes beyond the upgrade to .300 Win Mag as outlined below (from Remington’s press release) to come up with the new M24E1 Sniper Weapon System:

•A completely new chassis (stock) assembly, which maximizes the amount of physical adjustments for the sniper to provide a true customized fit. The chassis has a folding buttstock that radically shortens the system for easier transport and greater concealment during movement and accommodates the mounting of accessories via removable Mil Std 1913 Picatinny Rails.

•An improved 6.5-20×50 variable power Leupold riflescope with an enhanced reticle within the first focal plane and a .300 Winchester Magnum bullet-drop compensator (BDC)

•A quick-attach/detach Advanced Armament Corp. suppressor with muzzle brake

•A 5-round detachable box magazine

•Advanced corrosion resistant coatings throughout the system

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
Ofc. Ponch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I miss mopar
 
Drama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 8,249
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.
           
Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
pics?

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
Drama is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
I like scopes with BDC. Nikon makes some nice ones too in the monarch series.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
Lame.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru
 
Ofc. Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Posts: 5,153
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
pics?


Still a standard M24 in a new chassis and some new options

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
Ofc. Ponch is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post


Still a standard M24 in a new chassis and some new options
I think I saw that scope made by Tasco in Walmart for $10, no lie.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post


Still a standard M24 in a new chassis and some new options
what's her name?
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
 
SmartDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 11,410
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson
           
That pics looked shopped to hell. That round is badass but why the switch? It's not like mil snipers have had any problem popping heads before this.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
SmartDrug is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 AM
Slava
 
spetsnaz56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Hills
Posts: 1,409
Location: The Hills
Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders
           
Damn, this makes me want to go back in. I loved the 24, but this is just sick.
spetsnaz56 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered User
 
Pilotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Elk Grove IL
Posts: 15,833
Location: Elk Grove IL
Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend
           
Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
That pics looked shopped to hell. That round is badass but why the switch? It's not like mil snipers have had any problem popping heads before this.
i noticed the pic looks funky too but know next to shit about this stuff so i was content just to watch
initially wouldnt the round switch cause problems, having guys that are intimately familiar with the preformance of the old round now working with something new?

-Jason
CCS AM #31
Pilotx1 is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru
 
Ofc. Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Posts: 5,153
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
That pics looked shopped to hell. That round is badass but why the switch? It's not like mil snipers have had any problem popping heads before this.
Everyone is on this band wagon for better terminal ballistics past 1K yards. They even revised the specs on the ammo adopting a new 220 gr load over the the tried and true 190gr loading


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
i noticed the pic looks funky too but know next to shit about this stuff so i was content just to watch
initially wouldnt the round switch cause problems, having guys that are intimately familiar with the preformance of the old round now working with something new?
the round switch wont cause many problems. The platform for the most part is the same. The stock design changes were made to bring a pistol grip along with an M16 feel ( which everyone is trained on) to the mix. The ballistics with of the round will have littele effect to the soldier as new computations will have to be made for a new trajectory. No big deal.

It's like ading more horse power and a few extra pounds to a bike. If the rider is good the transition should be smooth.

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
Ofc. Ponch is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 375
Location: Montgomery
Sportbike: 2010 HD Forty-Eight
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: interwebs
           
I like the stock and the scope will do.

They should gone .338 Lapua Mag.
PaleHorse is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru
 
Ofc. Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Posts: 5,153
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post

•A completely new chassis (stock) assembly, which maximizes the amount of physical adjustments for the sniper to provide a true customized fit. The chassis has a folding buttstock that radically shortens the system for easier transport and greater concealment during movement and accommodates the mounting of accessories via removable Mil Std 1913 Picatinny Rails.
I beilieve this may be the new AI AX series chassis but am not 100% sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
•An improved 6.5-20×50 variable power Leupold riflescope with an enhanced reticle within the first focal plane and a .300 Winchester Magnum bullet-drop compensator (BDC)
Since they are going to variable power scopes the need for a FFP reticle is a must as it allows for ranging at any power unlike a SFP reticle which is set for a specific power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
•A quick-attach/detach Advanced Armament Corp. suppressor with muzzle brake
No shock here as Remington has owned AAC for a little over a year now. Why would they use someone else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
•A 5-round detachable box magazine
5 rounds as they must single stack. Anything more and teh mag would be huge. AI does make a military contract 10 round mag though. Why must it single stack? Cause the remington 700 is a single point feed platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
•Advanced corrosion resistant coatings throughout the system
Th elatest Voodoo coating

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
Ofc. Ponch is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Registered User
 
Pilotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Elk Grove IL
Posts: 15,833
Location: Elk Grove IL
Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend
           
Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
the round switch wont cause many problems. The platform for the most part is the same. The stock design changes were made to bring a pistol grip along with an M16 feel ( which everyone is trained on) to the mix. The ballistics with of the round will have littele effect to the soldier as new computations will have to be made for a new trajectory. No big deal.

It's like ading more horse power and a few extra pounds to a bike. If the rider is good the transition should be smooth.
thanks for the explanation, and analogy. I didnt know it would be quite that simple

-Jason
CCS AM #31
Pilotx1 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHorse View Post
I like the stock and the scope will do.

They should gone .338 Lapua Mag.
yeah, I read that and was thinking the same thing.

didn't the navy sniper that shot the somali pirate use that caliber?
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 375
Location: Montgomery
Sportbike: 2010 HD Forty-Eight
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: interwebs
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud View Post
yeah, I read that and was thinking the same thing.

didn't the navy sniper that shot the somali pirate use that caliber?
I believe so. .338 Lapua is my next build. I have a couple .308 builds, and was going to do a .300 win mag, until i got to researching. for the cost, the beating your shoulder takes, the energy, ballistics, etc... you can't beat that .338 Lapua.
Attached Images
File Type: png Path-comparision.png (9.3 KB, 10 views)
PaleHorse is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru
 
Ofc. Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Posts: 5,153
Location: MUNSTER, IN.
Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
You have to make a lot of comparisons to justify the .338 as an application specifd cartridge. In the realm of reality 1K yards shots are not made 6x everyday.

Almost any .30 cartridge will get you out to 1K with enough terminal energy to kill a human. The main thing to look at is what the ballistics are for the round as that will determine the skill level needed of the shooter. You can put a female driver in a true rally car and she will look like a champ going around a track, now put a real driver and a Chevette on teh same track and we will see skill come to life.

Factory 300WM ammo still hovers in teh $30-$40 a box where as .338 lapua is between $70 - $80 a box. And these are 20 round boxes of match ammo. .308 match is a $25 box

Just be smart in what you wish for, you may regret it in the long run.

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
Ofc. Ponch is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Slava
 
spetsnaz56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Hills
Posts: 1,409
Location: The Hills
Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch
•An improved 6.5-20×50 variable power Leupold riflescope with an enhanced reticle within the first focal plane and a .300 Winchester Magnum bullet-drop compensator (BDC)
Since they are going to variable power scopes the need for a FFP reticle is a must as it allows for ranging at any power unlike a SFP reticle which is set for a specific power

Definitely would be a big plus for range estimation.
spetsnaz56 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
You have to make a lot of comparisons to justify the .338 as an application specifd cartridge. In the realm of reality 1K yards shots are not made 6x everyday.

Almost any .30 cartridge will get you out to 1K with enough terminal energy to kill a human. The main thing to look at is what the ballistics are for the round as that will determine the skill level needed of the shooter. You can put a female driver in a true rally car and she will look like a champ going around a track, now put a real driver and a Chevette on teh same track and we will see skill come to life.

Factory 300WM ammo still hovers in teh $30-$40 a box where as .338 lapua is between $70 - $80 a box. And these are 20 round boxes of match ammo. .308 match is a $25 box

Just be smart in what you wish for, you may regret it in the long run.
thank you.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome