ar-15 first purchase - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

ar-15 first purchase

I'm in the mood to purchase a rifle and wanted an ar-15. Now I know theres literally dozens of companies and a huge aftermarket to customize them. Right now I just want a a basic rifle but also has a lot of after market support so I can build it up and customize it to my likings. I came across this on gunbroker and am really interested in it. Thoughts and opinions on this? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=268456905

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
I'd look for one with the quad rail system, otherwise you'll have to fork out some more $$$ to put one on (and also do some work to remove items).

I put this one on mine:

http://store.troyind.com/10_MRF_MX_B...rf-m1bt-00.htm

I'd also get one w/o the integrated front sight (just get a backup sight).

That's just me though...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense. Guy next to me in my department's carbine course had a S&W and had nothing but problems, some of it was ammo related and some with the weapon.

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Bushmaster. Had mine for 12 yrs and never had an issue. Its a basic 16" carbine A1. No goofy gadgets other than a quick release scope mount.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 AM

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

FWIW I have 2 S&W ORC; they eat wolf, federal, pmc, etc. No problems with either. (I only go from brass to steel cased between cleanings tho, never the other way around) Also have (or have had) Spike's, RRA, PSA.

The one you linked looks like the Sport; melonited barrel 1:8 twist but carbine gas. IIRC you can shoot most loads out of a 1:8 and the melonite is nice but Mid-length would be more desirable. No forward assist tho, and not sure if the BCG is different b/c of this. Buds has the new ones (w/ mbus rear sight) for $615 shipped when in stock.

Also, Very good trigger on both of my MPs... could be they are well broken in but very nice for single stage milspec trigger. No creep or grit and clean break.

You could build your own w/ superior parts for around the same price....
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

I thought of building my own but having no experience with an ar i thought it would be better to get one preassembled for now so i can get practice with that one. Im all for building one tho, love doing projects like that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 AM
The neighbors hate me!!!

Sportbike: '03 Superhawk 996, '95 Nighthawk (wifes bike), '78 Moto Guzzi v50
Years Riding: Forever!
How you found us: C.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomByU View Post
Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense. Guy next to me in my department's carbine course had a S&W and had nothing but problems, some of it was ammo related and some with the weapon.
I have the S&W M&P 15 and I haven't had any problems. Awesome weapon. I'll put it up against anyones out there. Besides its made for them by Stag arms. I say get what you can afford.

"To be old and wise.... You must first be young and stupid."
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
I thought of building my own but having no experience with an ar i thought it would be better to get one preassembled for now so i can get practice with that one. Im all for building one tho, love doing projects like that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Just buy one off the shelf, and build your second one once you get a feel for what you like, and what you'd change about your first one.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

I just picked up a Rock River Arms Elite Operator. It's very accurate and has everything I wanted. Less than S&W and a few others for similar options.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

If you want to turn that rifle into anything aside from a casual plinker, you'll need to replace 75% of it. I understand you want to be able to build it into something nicer down the road, but this is not the AR15 to start from.

You want a Midlength gas system.

Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, BCM, DD, Spike's, RRA are brands to look for.

Non HBAR, especially in a carbine.

You'll end up spending much less money/time if you find these things in the initial purchase.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

If I started to get pieces and put one together, whats a nice budget way to go that wont break my wallet. Id rather do this right from the start so if building one is the better way to go then I got no problem doing that. I see rock river arms sells kits and you can customize a good portion of it. Its gonna be nothing but a plinker and just something cool to add to the collection.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Point out same links of the betters AR's to be looking at SmartDrug. I know jack about them for the most part

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 AM
The neighbors hate me!!!

Sportbike: '03 Superhawk 996, '95 Nighthawk (wifes bike), '78 Moto Guzzi v50
Years Riding: Forever!
How you found us: C.B.

Quote:
If I started to get pieces and put one together, whats a nice budget way to go that wont break my wallet. Id rather do this right from the start so if building one is the better way to go then I got no problem doing that. I see rock river arms sells kits and you can customize a good portion of it. Its gonna be nothing but a plinker and just something cool to add to the collection.
Rock River makes nice stuff, and their not badly priced. I bought my LAR-8 from them. I have a complete AR lower and I'm thinking about getting one of their uppers, I just haven't decided which caliber to go with yet. Good luck on your decision and have fun with it.

"To be old and wise.... You must first be young and stupid."
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

I say look at palmetto state armory for best value in preassembled ARs, look at Spikes components for best value in DIY and look at DD, BCM and others that Smartdrug mentioned to get a solid platform with some bling and bragging rights
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

+1 on RRA.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdske View Post
Rock River makes nice stuff, and their not badly priced. I bought my LAR-8 from them. I have a complete AR lower and I'm thinking about getting one of their uppers, I just haven't decided which caliber to go with yet. Good luck on your decision and have fun with it.
RRA does make nice stuff, but for the price-:

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseLiteURG.aspx

is still a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samal View Post
I say look at palmetto state armory for best value in preassembled ARs, look at Spikes components for best value in DIY and look at DD, BCM and others that Smartdrug mentioned to get a solid platform with some bling and bragging rights
I forgot about PSA, I bought one of their complete kits last year, fantastic deal for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post

You running LaRue?

FWIW, RRA is still a good manufacturer but their product quality has dropped in the past few years since they picked up the DEA contract. They, like most small organizations that grew very quickly, have sacrificed quality for quantity, at least to some degree. They're still better than many other AR manufacturers but they're not what they were back in Colona unfortunately.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:

Last edited by SmartDrug; 01-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM

This may be the thread you are looking for:

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...d.php?t=113838

I tell ya, my Rock River is nice. I picked it up new for under $900 from a local FFL with a $20 transfer. Is it the best AR out there, certainly not. Is it good for plinking, yes. The link to http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseLiteURG.aspx will run you $1200 and PSA and BCM build your own may end up pricey if you keep expanding the scope and build a higher quality rifle. Check that 1st thread out and you'll see that a sub $1000 project can creep beyond that price easily enough.

I think there are a ton a decent AR rifles out there. If you don't know what you want, don't rush in to buy. Pick up a few of the AR specialty magazines and see if you'll ever use it for anything other than plinking.

If I were to get a plinker I'd skip the 22 and go straight to the 223 and get a 22 bolt conversion. It will save ammo cost and you'll essentially have 2 rifles for the price of 1. I picked up my conversion kit on Amazon.com for under $130 and it's spot on.

If you plan to hunt the 223 isn't the best option for small or large game. In that case you'll want to plan a little more. You'll end up with less of a plinking rifle though.

No offense to anyone here. All the suggestions are good. I'm just not convinced spending $1000 on a plinker is the best way to go. For that, my Remington 597 is so dialed in. At this point it's me and not the rifle with the limitations.

I don't see the deficient quality in the RRA. I think some people have taken this from other web forums. People get really into this stuff and for the casually interested person those concerns may be unfounded. My RRA rifle was spot on with iron sights and the build quality is tight. For the money it's in the running with a lot of others that's for sure. I think SmartDrug is suggesting that as well.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM

I'll build one someday but I spent too much coin on firearms in 2011 to justify spending anymore. I need to go to some sort of AA for guns and cool my jets for a while.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

A few things to amend-

RRA is still a great manufacturer of ARs and components, I just installed a RRA trigger in a friend's AR this morning. All I was saying there is that my more recent RRA rifles tend to have more tooling marks and the fit and finish is not what it used to be. That being said, RRA is WAYYYY more than capable for a plinker, hell, it's more than capable for a daily use rifle that you'd need to trust your life with; all I was trying to point out is that RRA used to be one of the top dogs in the AR world, up there with Colt and they have fallen from grace a little bit. Forget I even mentioned it.

Second, if this truly is a plinker and will NEVER see duty as a HD piece or a SHTF rifle, then get the cheapest AR you can get, Olympic, Delton, etc. Sure it may FTF/FTE every once in a while and only hold 4 MOA but who cares, you saved $300. If you're just shooting at cans once a year, you'll be good to go.

HOWEVER, If there is any chance in hell you will ever rely on this weapon to protect yourself/family, it behooves you to spend some money on a quality setup from the get go. You don't need a free float rail, muzzle brake, Geissele trigger, UBR buttstock- people killer that they used to kill Osama. You do need a well built rifle that you can learn with and that you can depend upon.

So there you go, You need to decide what role this rifle will fill. One thing to remember/consider, just like motorcycles, no single rifle will do everything. You won't find a bike that cruises like an Electra Glide, handles like a 996R and looks like a Vincent Black Shadow - Nor will you find an AR that does CQB, Long distance sniping and static defense. You can make a rifle that will do all 3 of those things very poorly, but like a UJM motorcycle, they may be cheap but they don't do anything very well. You want to decide what role this will fill and design the rifle around that. So many people decide they're going to build an AR and end up with a HBAR carbine with a collapsible stock, fixed irons, bipod and 4-16x scope - ABORTION. Think about this and ask questions from there. Lots of info on here, we're more than willing to help.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on this to start out with? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=269665956

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

Quote:
Thoughts on this to start out with? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=269665956
Knowing what I know now.... that is a nogo. I like them for a 308, but 556, no thanks

Get a spikes middy or psa middy for 100-200 less and not have to worry about service issues.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
So many people decide they're going to build an AR and end up with a HBAR carbine with a collapsible stock, fixed irons, bipod and 4-16x scope - ABORTION. Think about this and ask questions from there. Lots of info on here, we're more than willing to help.
load her up LMAO

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar_kitchen sink.jpg (71.9 KB, 52 views)

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Hot damn man, read what was posted.

NM, just buy a GSX 650 and have a good season.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

We'll see what happens. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=270300196

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Quote:
just make sure you throw away every part that says UTG (Leapers is same company as UTG) on it and spend another $700 to replace them with good quality parts.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samal View Post
just make sure you throw away every part that says UTG (Leapers is same company as UTG) on it and spend another $700 to replace them with good quality parts.
Well then I have no fucken idea how to determine a good ar from a bad one. Its a rock river arms prebuilt so I figured it would be good to go. As far as utg parts, isn't that one just all external parts so they could get that green and black appearance? All the internals should still be RRA, correct?

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

I don't know, it looks fine to me for the money.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

for the money as it's now - it is OK - after he gets good foreend, and new optics, because leapers will break apart (I had one) and he will understand how uncomfortable and heavy UTG quad rail is and will get a decent stock - he will be $1100 in this gun. however the auction is not over yet - and people will see the "Awesome tactical setup that needs nothing" and will bid another $200 on it, it will be crap deal
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
RRA does make nice stuff, but for the price-:

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseLiteURG.aspx
I'm looking at building one from DD through the link, couple questions tho. Whats the difference between the gas blocks? Also this is just the upper assembly and il still need a lower, correct? Also I want the 18" barrel so which rail would you suggest for the longer barrel? I was leaning towards the lite rail 12.0 but with no experiece not sure which one would work best or if it even matters aside from looks.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by michowski; 01-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode