For those that carry concealed - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
For those that carry concealed

Just saw this gem did a quick search didn't see it come up. So glad they have dash cams and mics. This officer really did a horrible job.

http://ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

I saw this a while back ..... the cop is an idiot....mad at himself for missing something
that in a worse circumstance would have got him dead.

He should ticket himself.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
thankfully most states (at least for me) dont require you tell the officer anymore.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

That officer has no business policing the public. He took a simple solicitation of a prostitute and elevated it significantly. Sure the driver placed himself in a questionable situation with a known prostitute on the wrong side of town while he had his gun but...

I know this isn't true for all cops but when I worked for CPD the term "everyone is a dirtbag" rolled off the tongues of many officers. I understand that the folks the police deal with a lot are not the highest caliber but for Pete's sake be professional.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:27 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Cop is an idiot in this case . I am glad he's been let go . He cant follow simple protocol .
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Yea, this is a clear cut case of a guy who should not have a badge or a gun. The man has no self control and no respect for the law.

Innocent until proven guilty. Calling the man a liar without proof is disgusting and slanderous.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Slava

Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders

Can't carry concealed here anyway, so you guys have nothing to worry about The cop was an idiot.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

I do carry a lot when out of state - drive on interstates a lot and always an thinking of what to do or to say if I get pulled over. When we were coming from hunting in TX, we were pulled over by a cop in IL. He saw 3 guys in a van, big cooler and some camo clothes and his first question was - do you have weapons? where are they, are they transported legally. He was hunter himself and did not give us much hard time so we went off with a warning for speeding 4 mph over the limit and after a conversation about hog hunting. Right after we left, I remembered that somewhere in MO I got tired of my gun in my IWB holster and put it as is in the glove compartment
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Sportbike: 2010 HD Forty-Eight
How you found us: interwebs

I don't understand the problem... when you are armed, and get involved in an encounter with police. Why wouldn't you state that you are armed?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHorse View Post
I don't understand the problem... when you are armed, and get involved in an encounter with police. Why wouldn't you state that you are armed?
Did you even read the article? Not to mention look at the video?

Pretty sure this is a repost, but it's a good one.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

You know what he should of done, took 2 steps back and put 10 shots in that officer just for being an unprofessional piece of shit of a human being, not serious of course. You can tell right away the first time he opens his mouth its nothing but a complete jackass talking.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Makes me think that bosses or union bosses should be doing random reviews of dash footage for, "quality assurance"

This guy should have been realized as a threat to the department and public safety. They have to be held accountable for who they keep in service.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
Did you even read the article? Not to mention look at the video?
EDITED:

Nevermind...you're a troll.

Last edited by PaleHorse; 01-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
EDITED:

Nevermind...you're a troll.
Really? BWA is a heavily armed crazy Polish fuck that defended this country while you beat off to the ads in CL casual encounters section.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Really? BWA is a heavily armed crazy Polish fuck that defended this country while you beat off to the ads in CL casual encounters section.
Really.... wow....
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Quote:
Really.... wow....
Please leave, the grown ups are having a discussion here.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Please leave, the grown ups are having a discussion here.
Yeah, i was discussing the article. The article is about the requirement to notify police you are armed when in a encounter with them. Hence the whole section of it titled "Why "mandatory prompt notification" needs to go:" or....

The second half of the first sentence of the article where they outline the premise of the article.. let me quote it for you since you missed it.. "This Canton Concealed Carry arrest is a perfect example of why the law on "mandatory notification" needs to be changed quickly."

The encounter outlined is evidence of why it (the law) should go.

I agree it shouldn't be mandatory, codified by law.

But I don't understand why someone in an encounter with police, when carrying concealed (assuming they are behaving lawfully), wouldn't want to tell the police.

By an encounter I don't mean walking past a cop, I mean you get pulled over and have your concealed carry weapon right above your back pocket above your wallet, and you need to get your license out. Before reaching back there suddenly for your wallet, might be wise/prudent to mention you are a CCW carrier.

I was trying to start a discussion about the article rather than everyone agreeing the cop is a tool, i thought that was fairly evident(the cop being a tool).

as my original post asked, before I was asked if I read the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
thankfully most states (at least for me) dont require you tell the officer anymore.
got this...

Quote:
when you are armed, and get involved in an encounter with police. Why wouldn't you state that you are armed?
maybe bwa was really asking if i had read it... Yes I did.

as far as a discussion, you weren't a part of it until you hit your knees in front of BWA, wipe your knees off when you get up, and GTFO.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 PM
bwa
Boom

Aside from Mopar mentioning how his state has no such requirement, no one in the thread said anything about how there shouldn't be such a requirement. The cop is the tool because the driver tried to let him know that he's legally carrying a firearm from the get go. Guess I thought you were responding to the thread, not to those who wrote the article.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

And the other part that sucks about this. Imagine if he shouted at the cop that he was carrying. Cop woulda lost it if he tried to talk over him to inform him.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
And the other part that sucks about this. Imagine if he shouted at the cop that he was carrying. Cop woulda lost it if he tried to talk over him to inform him.
Yeah the cop is a tool, you couldn't do anything right with this kind of guy. The guy in the car did a good job and the right thing if you ask me. The cop in this video is a moron. Guy did a good job not making any moves toward his gun, etc. Had he reached for his wallet or something and this cop saw the gun, idiot probably woulda shot this guy for nothing.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
Guess I thought you were responding to the thread, not to those who wrote the article.
The thread is about the article... the article is about the requirement to tell the coppers you are armed. I'm asking why wouldn't you want to tell the police in an encounter with them that you are armed for your own safety?

I can't believe you can't follow this... polish... eh...
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
bwa
Boom

Quote:
The thread is about the article... the article is about the requirement to tell the coppers you are armed. I'm asking why wouldn't you want to tell the police in an encounter with them that you are armed for your own safety?

I can't believe you can't follow this... polish... eh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inu View Post
Just saw this gem did a quick search didn't see it come up. So glad they have dash cams and mics. This officer really did a horrible job.

http://ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html
You're right, the Polak has trouble following the issue brought up by the OP
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 AM

If im just sitting in my car i feel i dont have the need to tell a cop anything. If he has probable cause to pull me out of the car i would then with my hands far away from the gun, tell him i have a concealed weapon. Wether this guy in the video was lying or not about his story i dont know. If its just a traffic stop and ticket then no im not saying anything.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
To a lot of people, it's nobody's business, including the police, that you're legally CCW. If you're getting a speeding ticket, or some other minor issue, and the law doesn't require it, most people won't say shit. Or they won't say shit until the officer asks, or the situation changes to where you have to get out of the car, or the officer somehow feels the need to search the car. Then it's a big "officer, I need to inform you that I'm legally carrying a firearm", or what's happened to me, "officer, just so you know, I have my camping gear in the back, and I have a couple large knives and my pistol legally cased in the back". But I won't divulge that information unless asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
You know what he should of done, took 2 steps back and put 10 shots in that officer just for being an unprofessional piece of shit of a human being, not serious of course. You can tell right away the first time he opens his mouth its nothing but a complete jackass talking.
This post is completely unnecessary. A responsible gun owner should check his attitude, even if it's just idle internet banter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
Sadly, I agree with this. I've had several encounters with officers that escalated the issue themselves. I'll cut the cop some slack calling the guy a liar to his face..while it's unprofessional, it's a useful way of keeping the guy off balance (and in this cops case probably a macho I'm better than you verbal pounding) and possibly cutting to the chase and getting to the point of the encounter. The cop is mostly pissed that his partner was in a confined space, poking around in the car not realizing there is a CCW. But that's his fault for being so macho and "in charge" and not being very professional.

I for one am glad we have more and more dash cams. I'll just always be as cool as a cucumber and let the cop hang himself. Thankfully I've only had encounters with professionals lately and not tools like in the video. No all cops are bad, I'm sure we can agree on that (especially considering we have a few LEO members)

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
To a lot of people, it's nobody's business, including the police, that you're legally CCW. If you're getting a speeding ticket, or some other minor issue, and the law doesn't require it, most people won't say shit. Or they won't say shit until the officer asks, or the situation changes to where you have to get out of the car, or the officer somehow feels the need to search the car. Then it's a big "officer, I need to inform you that I'm legally carrying a firearm", or what's happened to me, "officer, just so you know, I have my camping gear in the back, and I have a couple large knives and my pistol legally cased in the back". But I won't divulge that information unless asked.
Yeah, I agree.....

"By an encounter I don't mean walking past a cop, I mean you get pulled over and have your concealed carry weapon right above your back pocket above your wallet, and you need to get your license out. Before reaching back there suddenly for your wallet, might be wise/prudent to mention you are a CCW carrier."
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Oh yeah, I wasn't discounting what you said, just clarifying. I've chatted it up with several very conservative folks and tinfoil hat types, and they are really OPSEC when it comes to authority.

I can understand why the lawmakers wanted to make it a law, and I could deal with it if I had to, but they probably weren't expecting an encounter like the above when they wrote it. I think lawmakers don't understand that cops don't treat everyone with the same respect.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Lonely i said i was just kidding. I was just trying to match the cops lack of self control and professionalism to show how out of line i thought he was.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
Lonely i said i was just kidding. I was just trying to match the cops lack of self control and professionalism to show how out of line i thought he was.

I figured, but still; that kind of stuff jets gets the anti-gun people all feathers ruffled and makes responsible gun owners look bad in general. It's good practice to not even joke about shooting someone up, especially a cop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode