looking for a tactical holster - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: zx6r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: friend

looking for a tactical holster

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulld...h-All+Products

came across this...anyone have any experience with bulldogs? as im sure most of you know, this style can be pricey. so i am looking for something basic and affordable.

any thought or recomendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullgod tactical holster.jpg (10.8 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

I'm a fan of the Serpa holsters. They make a nice "tactical" thigh holster setup. It's not going to be cheap, but IMHO, proper storage/protection/carry shouldn't be skimped on.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Sportbike: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2000 and 2008 R6 track bikes
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: another local forum

I use safariland.

Motovid A #528
Formerly NESBA A #528
STT A #528
NEZBRAH Awesome Group Commander #528
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Unless you're actually involved in LEO, military, professional security work, etc., a drop-leg holster is not for you. While one might not think so, they actually require a different degree of skillset to make use of. Additionally, you cannot use them in any sort of competition (USPSA or IDPA). So unless you're a professional, and I know you're not (don't mean to offend when I state that), take a pass on the drop-leg holster and stick with a good quality belt holster.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:04 AM

^Agreed, we only use them when we are required to wear our bulkier tac vests.

Motovid A #528
Formerly NESBA A #528
STT A #528
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

serpas are nice for sure...i dont have much experience with safarilands though

no, military and law enforcement are not my profession...but yes, im looking for a thigh holstr.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Get on with your mall ninja self!

If I thought I'd use it, I'd get the Serpa. The Safariland is supposed to be pretty bad assed as well, though I've never used one.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

im going to give it a shot. for 25 bucks, ill consider it a brand test and try it out. itll be perfect for my job...top flight security...of the world.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannho View Post
serpas are nice for sure...i dont have much experience with safarilands though

no, military and law enforcement are not my profession...but yes, im looking for a thigh holstr.
Quote:
im going to give it a shot. for 25 bucks, ill consider it a brand test and try it out. itll be perfect for my job...top flight security...of the world.
Alright, what is your intended use? Seriously?

Do you intend to be able to quick draw with the Bulldog rig? If so, good luck - it has a buckle that must first be undone. And given that it's a nylon holster, it has no inheritent retention system if you forego the buckle. Sit down in a chair and "plop" out comes your gun cowboy.

Had you even considered what belt you'd use with a thigh rig? Do you own a dedicated gun-belt? I bet you don't - good gun belts START at $50 and one will generally pay $100 for one. Did you know that thigh rigs are horribly unsecure if you use a "normal" belt? They sag & cannot support the weight adequately.

I would strongly, STRONGLY advise that you not waste your time and money on any sort of thigh rig. They have limited practical use, particularly for a non-advanced firearms user. Get a good gun belt, good quality belt holster, and learn how to use those.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post

Do you intend to be able to quick draw with the Bulldog rig? If so, good luck - it has a buckle that must first be undone. And given that it's a nylon holster, it has no inheritent retention system if you forego the buckle. Sit down in a chair and "plop" out comes your gun cowboy.

Had you even considered what belt you'd use with a thigh rig? Do you own a dedicated gun-belt? I bet you don't - good gun belts START at $50 and one will generally pay $100 for one. Did you know that thigh rigs are horribly unsecure if you use a "normal" belt? They sag & cannot support the weight adequately.

I would strongly, STRONGLY advise that you not waste your time and money on any sort of thigh rig. They have limited practical use, particularly for a non-advanced firearms user. Get a good gun belt, good quality belt holster, and learn how to use those.
you make a lot of assumptions...especially when you know nothing about me, about what i do, or who i am. im sure your intentions are good and I can appreciate the thought. but to start making assumption on an internet thread isnt always accurate.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Making assumptions and judging people is what internet forums are all about. I'm judging you right now. Kidding aside the holster you posted looks like garbage. It's a waste of money in my opinion, which is what you are asking for.

Motovid A #528
Formerly NESBA A #528
STT A #528
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
you make a lot of assumptions...especially when you know nothing about me, about what i do, or who i am. im sure your intentions are good and I can appreciate the thought. but to start making assumption on an internet thread isnt always accurate.
I sure have. But I could make less assumptions if you answered questions and provided details, such as "what is your intended use?"

Your base request for information, in of itself, shows a lack of knowledge regarding thigh holsters, the role they best fit, and knowledge of fit & function. Had your request been about a Safariland or Serpa thigh holster, then the presumptions taken would have been entirely different as well. But yes, these are assumptions, which is why critical questions were asked in response... to gather more details, so as to better inform.

I fully admit that I'm being very critical of you, but realize that I'm also trying to help you. If you simply just say "I want one because I think they're cool," that's a perfectly valid and acceptable answer too. If you said that you wanted to get into competitive shooting like USPSA/IDPA, then that would garner a different response. If you said you were active duty military, then that too would have justified a different reply.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride View Post
Making assumptions and judging people is what internet forums are all about. I'm judging you right now. Kidding aside the holster you posted looks like garbage. It's a waste of money in my opinion, which is what you are asking for.

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: Off Road-15; Street-8

I say we settle this with a duel!

And Bek, Nannho is no noob. He has quite the collection of guns all with some good trigger time.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
.45 as a back up sidearm for Bear Hunting.
Holster rec's?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
.45 as a back up sidearm for Bear Hunting.
Holster rec's?
When bear hunting, are you more often on the move, or stationary in a hide?

One drawback to a drop-leg holster is that they add extra weight to one leg. They have to be adjusted and mounted and strapped in JUST RIGHT. Too loose, and your gun will move around a lot... too tight, and you'll screw circulation... too low will further encumber your movement... too high, often interferes with the family jewels.

Another drawback is that drop-leg holsters love to snag on things. As a hunter on the move, you have to deal with brush, foliage, and debris. Consider that.

To address the specific example holster that the OP posted about, consider this. If you need your sidearm while bear hunting, it's because your primary has gone down and you have seconds before you become lunch. Do you want to fumble with a buckle in order to draw your sidearm? No, you want a holster that will both carry your sidearm securely but allow for a rapid-draw.

In most cases, a good solid hip/belt holster will fill virtually everyone's needs. Drop-leg holsters are really only needed if you have to wear heavy armor - and even then, a chest rig are arguably often be a better choice. There are times when a shoulder holster or chest rig are better suited (armored tank driver).

Again, your use case will vary, depending on what your need and use will be... hence why I asked the OP that in the first place.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Riding in the free world!

Sportbike: sportbikes
Years Riding: Since I was 9 years old
How you found us: Member

I Like my CompTac holster and mag pouches. I also have Serpa and BladeTech holsters but the CompTac is much quicker (for match).
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
"what is your intended use?".
simply an alternative for when i am at the range..specifically for the polymer and alloy firearms.

ill write you a thesis next time...and ill let you know if my airsoft falls out when i sit down
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Some bad-asses just don't need no stinking help .....

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
When bear hunting, are you more often on the move, or stationary in a hide?

One drawback to a drop-leg holster is that they add extra weight to one leg. They have to be adjusted and mounted and strapped in JUST RIGHT. Too loose, and your gun will move around a lot... too tight, and you'll screw circulation... too low will further encumber your movement... too high, often interferes with the family jewels.

Another drawback is that drop-leg holsters love to snag on things. As a hunter on the move, you have to deal with brush, foliage, and debris. Consider that.

To address the specific example holster that the OP posted about, consider this. If you need your sidearm while bear hunting, it's because your primary has gone down and you have seconds before you become lunch. Do you want to fumble with a buckle in order to draw your sidearm? No, you want a holster that will both carry your sidearm securely but allow for a rapid-draw.

In most cases, a good solid hip/belt holster will fill virtually everyone's needs. Drop-leg holsters are really only needed if you have to wear heavy armor - and even then, a chest rig are arguably often be a better choice. There are times when a shoulder holster or chest rig are better suited (armored tank driver).

Again, your use case will vary, depending on what your need and use will be... hence why I asked the OP that in the first place.

sitting in a tree stand about 12 feet up. I couldnt get to a hip holster too easily

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
simply an alternative for when i am at the range..specifically for the polymer and alloy firearms.

ill write you a thesis next time...and ill let you know if my airsoft falls out when i sit down
Airsoft? So are you a serious shooter or an Airsofter?

Fine, I'll continue to answer your question in the context of casual range use. First, are you aware that ranges/private clubs that do allow holsters will often restrict drop-leg holsters to LEO only? Fine, let's say you are not subject to that restriction... here's why your selection is a poor one.

You're going to figure out really really fast, that your selection of holster will be very uncomfortable. One design shortcoming is the connection point between the straps and the holster itself - there is nothing solid to prevent the firearm from pivoting from side to side. Each time you move your leg, it will wiggle. The only viable solution is to clamp it down so hard that you'll cut circulation to your leg. Note the Safariland example posted above - it has a solid plate that attaches to the holster & contours to your leg. The straps have multiple "contact points" on that plate, which mitigates the pivoting problem.

The second shortcoming of the Cabela's holster is that you really cannot hitch it up very high on your thigh without permanent modification. The only reason to drop a holster, is to get around heavy armor that you are wearing. Even so, you want to mount it as high up on your leg as possible. Part of the reason is to bring it as close to your hip & your leg's pivot point. This will reduce fatigue vs mounting the weight of your firearm further on down your leg.

Know that there are quick-draw shortcomings of the Cabela's drop-leg holster (or any drop-leg holster), along with significant retention challenges. But since the context is only for casual range use, I will not address them unless asked.

Where the hell is SmartDrug anyway? I'm getting sick of typing and need to tag out!
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
sitting in a tree stand about 12 feet up. I couldnt get to a hip holster too easily
Okay, consider from a seated position, how easy it would be to draw something mounted to your thigh? That's even more challenging than drawing from your hip, since you have to draw "backwards" along the direction of your leg. With a hip holster, your draw stroke will still be up and out.

If you have nothing constricting your hip area (like a seat belt, harness, etc.), you'll probably be fine with a good hip holster even in a seated position. Otherwise consider a shoulder holster, as I know many hunters do. You do not need to consider a concealment rig that places the firearm directly underneath your armpit, so consider a shoulder holster that places the firearm just forward of your weak-side arm. The less distance your body must twist & your hand must travel, the faster you can draw and engage.
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

I think the Airsoft thing was just him fucking with you, Bek.

post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

I bet the dude is a mall ninja.

I don't know shit about holsters. I text Bek on what to get, he replied, l use it. It's just that easy. I am moving to a state that allows ccw (and silencers, machine guns, short barrel rifles and shotguns....)

post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
That holster is garbage. The serpa holster is garbage, poor design makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the leg. If you want a drop leg stick with safariland and like what others said you still need a good sturdy belt to go with it.

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Slava

Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders

I'd go with a Serpa all the way. I've never heard of any problems with them and it's a solid holster.
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
Serpa is now banned by FLETC, alot of professional trainers do not allow them in their classes. It is the only holster I know of that you use your trigger finger to disengage the retention.

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Slava

Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomByU View Post
Serpa is now banned by FLETC, alot of professional trainers do not allow them in their classes. It is the only holster I know of that you use your trigger finger to disengage the retention.
I have 3 of them and never had any issues. The only other one I'd consider is the Safariland. After reading the reasoning for banning the holster, I find it stupid. It's called training. An untrained person will have an ND regardless of the equipment he is using.

Last edited by spetsnaz56; 01-24-2012 at 03:48 AM.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

The idea of wearing soft armor at the range is growing on me fast.

Wouldn't one want a hard holster for a polymer pistol (glocks anyway)?
That cabelas one looks crappy.
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post

I don't know shit about holsters. I text Bek on what to get, he replied, l use it. It's just that easy. I am moving to a state that allows ccw (and silencers, machine guns, short barrel rifles and shotguns....)

You shut your dirty whore mouth!

And drive safe on the way down. Punk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode