AR Questions Before Buying - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR 1000RR
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Stumbled upon the site

AR Questions Before Buying

I'm ready to buy a rifle and have been looking at everything from a 45acp carbine to a Saiga AK in all different calibers to different AR's, etc.. I've finally decided on getting an AR, and am pretty sold on a new Daniel Defense M4 V5. I can get it for ~$1250. I've heard lots of good things about DD and have heard a lot of people say that it's the "sweet spot" in value (high quality vs low price). On the AR forum I've seen people start with a DPMS or other less expensive rifle but eventually end up with a DD.
So my question is... What other types/brands/models should I consider? I have ~$1350 max to spend.
Rather than answering with "Noveske is good" please tell me what model and why you think it's a better choice than the DD M4 V5.

This is mainly a rifle for the range and possibly HD. I've wanted an AR for a while and thinking it'd be fun to mess around with & accessorize.
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Sportbike: Hayabusa
Years Riding: 20+ Years
How you found us: Google

I'm no expert on AR's, as a matter of fact I just placed an order for my first one. I shopped around, asked a lot of questions.......talked to a few guys at G.A.T. Guns and at Cabela's as well as a ton of hours reading on the web. I decided to go with Rock River Arms LAR-15 in 223/556. It seems to be a respected name and R.R.A has a great sale going on right now (look at their website). $1500 rifles on sale @ $1000 with free shipping.

Dan
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Use the search function- there has been an entire novel written on this before.

The DD is a great setup.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
You asking "What is the best AR for $1400" is like asking which 600 is the best. I will tell you that Daniel Defence makes a very good AR period. I personally think they are slightly overpriced, but again are solid performers. In your price range, the LaRue Predatar would be my first choice (available in 16" or 18" barrel) then the Stag Arms 3G 3gun 18" rifle. For what you get on these 2 rifles, you will be hard pressed to find anything better made or more accurate.. That being said, I have rifles that I have built that have had very good accuracy and high quality parts for much less.

We could debate this for a very long time, but if you are happy with your choice and you are comfortable paying the price they are charging then you have made the right choice for you.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR 1000RR
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Stumbled upon the site

Brian, I haven't found anything comparing DD to other rifles here such as the RRA mentioned above. Which would be a superior rifle?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
You asking "What is the best AR for $1400" is like asking which 600 is the best. I will tell you that Daniel Defence makes a very good AR period. I personally think they are slightly overpriced, but again are solid performers. In your price range, the LaRue Predatar would be my first choice (available in 16" or 18" barrel) then the Stag Arms 3G 3gun 18" rifle. For what you get on these 2 rifles, you will be hard pressed to find anything better made or more accurate.. That being said, I have rifles that I have built that have had very good accuracy and high quality parts for much less.

We could debate this for a very long time, but if you are happy with your choice and you are comfortable paying the price they are charging then you have made the right choice for you.

This.

I'd save up the extra couple hundred $$ and get that Larue in a heartbeat.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
In either case, the DD isn't a bad rifle by any means. You won't have buyer's remorse if you choose to go this route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode