Support side shooting sight picture? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

Support side shooting sight picture?

Do you just have to train to get a decent sight picture with your non-dominant eye? Or is it such that if you are that dominant with one eye forget it, there is no way to reprogram your brain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Yes, you have to train your eyes. They are muscles and can be conditioned luke any other though you will always have one that processes better. You can not reprogram the dominance but you can strengthen the weaker one

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Get with your optometrist to see what vision therapy is avaiable for your needs. A good optometrist with an understanding of what you do is worth their weight in gold. Luckily mine is also a shooter and understands all my questions and concerns. The only thing more valuable to me than my eyes are my index fingers!!!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

http://www.livestrong.com/article/38...nce-exercises/

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Sportbike: K8 GSXR600
How you found us: GOOGS

HA. This is funny coz I just got back from a weekend drill in MO for the weekend and we were training the basic BRM. Then our Commander was saying he is left eye dominant but he is right handed shooter but he uses his right eye for a long distance sight picture. He was an infantry 15 years ago and it works.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

I'm right handed left eye dominate. I just trained my body to be a left handed long gun shooter. All pistol is cross body fired

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I was a left handed shooter until about 10 rounds from a M16 on full auto bounced off a telephone pole, I was leaning against, and went right down the open collar on my fatigues. They burned like hell. I've since learned to shoot right handed. It's just as well because I found out later that I am right eye dominant.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Right handed .... crossed up always ..... left eye dominant.

Never thought about retraining ..... might be interesting.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Right-handed & right eyed dominant here.

Funny story, back in college when I had much longer hair, it draped over my right eye. I shot LOTS of pool back in college. When I took up shooting shortly thereafter, I realized that my hairstyle had messed with my eye dominance... I had inadvertently trained my left eye to be stronger.

For me, that worked out well in the end, as now I can use both eyes much more easily and/or keep both eyes open easier when shooting.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Right-handed & right eyed dominant here.

Funny story, back in college when I had much longer hair, it draped over my right eye. I shot LOTS of pool back in college. When I took up shooting shortly thereafter, I realized that my hairstyle had messed with my eye dominance... I had inadvertently trained my left eye to be stronger.

For me, that worked out well in the end, as now I can use both eyes much more easily and/or keep both eyes open easier when shooting.
Your college photo?

My left eye has better vision, and I'm left eye dominant, but I can shoot pretty much with either eye. I'm currently training right eye with both pistol and rifle, but I'm working hard to keep both eyes open and still keep a right eye sight picture.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Sportbike: K8 GSXR600
How you found us: GOOGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
I was a left handed shooter until about 10 rounds from a M16 on full auto bounced off a telephone pole, I was leaning against, and went right down the open collar on my fatigues. They burned like hell. I've since learned to shoot right handed. It's just as well because I found out later that I am right eye dominant.
Yea It is definitely not fun getting a brass in your collar especially when wearing a full battle rattle and not securing your neck. I got used to it for a quite several times happened to me when shooting side by side with your battle buddy in a 4 window truck in motion course. You are so lucky if you shoot on the far left during training. Fun stuff though..

Back to that topic, I shoot right hand and training to shoot left as well -as required. But I am right eye dominant and when shooting left hand i use my left eye.

I am wondering if you zero your rifle with your right eye-right hand, when you shoot left eye-left hand does it affect the zeroed weapon? I mean I am not as good when shooting non dominant side. Is it because of the zero or because my non dominant finger and hand squeeze and etc. aren't that trained enough?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

The support side shooting killed my score....

Afterwards I practiced trying to "use" what my non-dominant eye was seeing, then went to the indoor range (25y). I shot a few mags from support side to get started.

For the final target I did 4 mags. Started from low ready dominant side;
safety off, 2 shots, safety on, dominant hand to fore grip, support hand to pistol grip then from support side;
safety off using support thumb, 2 shots, safety on using support index, support hand to fore grip, dominant hand to pistol grip.
Repeated until 4 mags were shot. Did it with purpose but not to the point were it was unsafe.

Not great but better than when I started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0308.jpg (47.8 KB, 10 views)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonson3 View Post
I am wondering if you zero your rifle with your right eye-right hand, when you shoot left eye-left hand does it affect the zeroed weapon?
The weapon's point of impact never changes, but as you described the point of aim will as your sight picture using your non dominant eye is being used.

There are several factors going into the question you pose but the simple genral answer is YES, your bullets will NOT impact the same location with your non dominent eye as your dominent eye UNLESS you are aquiring teh same SIGHT PICTURE as your DOMINANT EYE. you must strengthen your eye to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevisR6 View Post
The support side shooting killed my score....

Afterwards I practiced trying to "use" what my non-dominant eye was seeing, then went to the indoor range (25y). I shot a few mags from support side to get started.

For the final target I did 4 mags. Started from low ready dominant side;
safety off, 2 shots, safety on, dominant hand to fore grip, support hand to pistol grip then from support side;
safety off using support thumb, 2 shots, safety on using support index, support hand to fore grip, dominant hand to pistol grip.
Repeated until 4 mags were shot. Did it with purpose but not to the point were it was unsafe.

Not great but better than when I started.
The drill you did is a very good excercise to strengthen your non dominant eye. You may also try and using both eye open next time to see how that effects your shooting.
long gun shooting is easier than doing this with a handgun as you are able to steady the rifle better through the use of the stock. Try doing the same drill with a handgun, then see how many different parts of your body you have to retrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode