.45 Auto Lead Ammo (No jacket) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

.45 Auto Lead Ammo (No jacket)

Guys,

Im doing a IDPA intro class next weekend at Ripon gun club, but was just informed they do not allow jacketed ammunition at their indoor range. So I'm looking for lead ammo, which is apparently hard to find.

Does any one have an internet source for lead only ammo? I do not reload, as that was the suggestion from the local gun shop. Ripon has club reloads for 9mm and .40 only.

I have the option of using a .22LR, but I'd very much prefer to use my own pistol..... as that's the point of going to the class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/730...tter-box-of-50

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/11960

https://www.buffaloarms.com/ammuniti....aspx?CAT=4447

I've not used any of those as I reload my own. But call your local Dick's Sporting goods as I think some carry the Ultramax stuff.

I know there are other shops online that specialize in re-manufactured ammo that carry lead based rounds...but none come to mind right now since, as I said, I load my own.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Also, you might ask if they accept plated ammo, as plated is just the same as lead, but has a thin plating of copper to help reduce barrel fouling compared to straight lead.

You might also want to look into a barrel cleaning solution that works on lead fouling, though it's less of an issue with a slow round like t he .45 ACP

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

i bought some unjacketed .45 years ago, probably still have a box, but after the first time i shot it i swore i would never put that stuff in any gun i cared about, took forever to get the lead out of the rifling, get plated ammo, possibly CCI? that stuff in aluminum cartridges is plated i think
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Wisconsin FIB

I'm checking on Frangible ammo, to see if its acceptable. You guys bring up a good point on lead fouling.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post
I'm checking on Frangible ammo, to see if its acceptable. You guys bring up a good point on lead fouling.
If you're hitting steels, frangable doesn't have the mass that lead does. It also has bullet setback problems, which isn't terrible with a .45, again being a low pressure, slower round.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
For Lead: Try Dick's Sporting Goods, they had them on sale last year. If not look at Gander Mountain.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I don't know how much you peeps shoot, but in the early 90's when I was shooting a lot, our lead counts were thru the roof! Anyone shooting lead indoors is plain nuts, handling lead is dangerous enough, but shooting indoors with lead might as well drink toxic waste. The last IDPA I was at (Racine) they allowed shooting jacketed stuff, there was a couple of steel targets, no problems, because I found splatter, I couldn't believe anyone was shooting expensive stuff at a match. Personally steel targets should not be allowed in IDPA matches, period. I have been shooting Federal Champion .45 ACP I picked up at Cabelas for a song.

And as for IDPA's rule for getting a procedural for a tactical re-load is all I have to say, only someone in full panic spray and pray mode would shoot their gun to battery.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Wisconsin FIB

I'm going to run down to the Cabelas in Milwaukee to pick up some non-jacketed. The frangible is acceptable for the indoor range, so that's my first choice. They also have some nylon jacketed Herters ammo, which sounds interesting. I would think the nylon would just disintegrate for steel targets, like a lead only bullet.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
I don't know how much you peeps shoot, but in the early 90's when I was shooting a lot, our lead counts were thru the roof! Anyone shooting lead indoors is plain nuts, handling lead is dangerous enough, but shooting indoors with lead might as well drink toxic waste..
I was diagnosed with lead poisoning back in 2003 and suffered with it for 4+ years as I refused to stop shooting. Then again I shot 3K rounds of lead ammo a week at the indoor range I worked at and cleaned 4-6 days a week with no respirator. Loading lead without using gloves is dumb too, but what do I know. I toss a .38 wadcutter in my mouth every now and then and just chew. BTW, don't drink stuff while on teh range either, that shit is in the air and your drinking it.

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Wisconsin FIB

So after all that running around, I ended up finding some Ultramax at Dick's Sporting Goods. Thanks for the lead on that.

I got pissed off several times, when after calling and asking stores if they had any, I drove 20 min. only to find they were out......and had been out for weeks. "Oh, I thought you meant FMJ."

I did find a nice Mom and Pop gun shop in an out of the way spot. Good selection, ok prices, very knowledgeable.

Fiocchi and Winchester Frangible is out across Wisconsin, and I couldn't find any website that had it in stock. A few places said they did, but when called, confirmed they were out.
Same with Herter's Nylon Jacketed.
The price for .45 ACP FMJ ranges from $19.50 /50 up to $27.50 / 50 for cheap stuff (Blazer, Winchester white box, even the Ultramax was $20/50)

I'm really considering starting to reload after this. Not getting a good price is one thing, it doesn't really pay for a press. Not being able to find ammunition at all....... now that could sell it for me.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
We ride tomorrow?

Sportbike: i like 04's
Years Riding: not enough
How you found us: NESBA.com

Did you check on using plated projectiles? It seems like rainier or berrys would be perfect for this situation if they are allowed. Let me know if you do decide to get into reloading and need a hand with anything or any advice, I think im only a half hour north of you.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

With .45 ACP, even an expensive progressive press pays for itself in a couple years of regular use. I did the math, and I paid for my RCBS Pro 2000, with digital scale and all the accessories and books, in less than 3 years. I've had it for going on 11 years now.

Keep in mind, with this being an election year, and people getting edgy about gun bans and all that, they are stocking up and hoarding so they don't run dry like in 2008.

I remember seeing a box of printers going for $50(!) in mid 2008, and just the year before I was picking them up for $20. Same shit is going to happen again, except you have all these "wise" reloaders and hoarders who didn't stock up in 2008 saying they aren't going going to be caught with empty shelves this election year. So they've already started buying out everything in sight. Ammunition (especially .45 and .223) are staring to be in short supply, and the components are soon to follow.

So plan accordingly.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Also, about the lead poisoning, I read a recent study that said most of the cases seen in the past 10 years were all from ingesting lead - not from inhalation. Scooping lead and sweeping floors is one thing (your screwed without protective gear), but your typical shooter and caster shouldn't be worried about poisoning, assuming they take necessary precautions and wash hands and face immediately after contact.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Also, about the lead poisoning, I read a recent study that said most of the cases seen in the past 10 years were all from ingesting lead - not from inhalation. Scooping lead and sweeping floors is one thing (your screwed without protective gear), but your typical shooter and caster shouldn't be worried about poisoning, assuming they take necessary precautions and wash hands and face immediately after contact.
If you shoot a lot of lead indoors, you will have elevated lead counts in your blood, its dangerous is all I know, if you get really high counts you end up like Henderson or chop off your ear

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wisconsin FIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
Did you check on using plated projectiles? It seems like rainier or berrys would be perfect for this situation if they are allowed. Let me know if you do decide to get into reloading and need a hand with anything or any advice, I think im only a half hour north of you.
I haven't gotten a definite "yes" on the plated, but couldn't find any in stock anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
With .45 ACP, even an expensive progressive press pays for itself in a couple years of regular use. I did the math, and I paid for my RCBS Pro 2000, with digital scale and all the accessories and books, in less than 3 years. I've had it for going on 11 years now.

Keep in mind, with this being an election year, and people getting edgy about gun bans and all that, they are stocking up and hoarding so they don't run dry like in 2008.

I remember seeing a box of printers going for $50(!) in mid 2008, and just the year before I was picking them up for $20. Same shit is going to happen again, except you have all these "wise" reloaders and hoarders who didn't stock up in 2008 saying they aren't going going to be caught with empty shelves this election year. So they've already started buying out everything in sight. Ammunition (especially .45 and .223) are staring to be in short supply, and the components are soon to follow.

So plan accordingly.
Yeah, this was a bit eye opening. Just in the last month, Ive seen prices increase, and shelves get emptier. Midwest Shooters was jam packed on Sunday, when I went in to get the G/F a shooting bag.

I think I'm going to start saving brass at least. That's the most expensive component, and If I have to buy it new, it doesn't pay to reload.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post
I haven't gotten a definite "yes" on the plated, but couldn't find any in stock anyways.

Yeah, this was a bit eye opening. Just in the last month, Ive seen prices increase, and shelves get emptier. Midwest Shooters was jam packed on Sunday, when I went in to get the G/F a shooting bag.

I think I'm going to start saving brass at least. That's the most expensive component, and If I have to buy it new, it doesn't pay to reload.
I'm almost 100% positive you can shoot plated. I did, actually no one said anything to me about no FMJ ammo.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
dont forget to lick each bullet for good luck!

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Sportbike: FZ6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: fz6 forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode