Just some quick iPhone shots from last nights late night casting.
I finally got the .308 mould I borrowed casting well. It only took a really good scrubbing with the degreaser. Apparently the owner had it glopped with oil, so it's spotless now. I think I need to work on my alloy more. I don't think there is enough Tin in it.
My brand new K31 Mould. This can be cast for my Swiss rifle, SKS, Mosin Nagant, and probably my Remington 700 in .308. I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and/or add tin to the alloy to get it to fill in better. I see what the old timers mean when they say you need to learn what each mould likes. These are shootable, but not pretty. I'll figure out what this mould likes and next time I fire up the furnace.
I did a whole bunch of 1oz slugs. These seem easy to cast. I get a 90% success rate, and I figure that will go up with more practice and understanding. Fun thing about these, is I take cheap clay busting shot shells, cut the top off, pour the lead into the furnace, and drop one of these slugs into the shell. Cheap 12 Gauge slugs!
I'm still trying to get the Buckshot mould to work well. After an hour, this frustratingly little pile is all I have to show for it. I probably should gone with #000 which I think would be as easy to cast as the 1oz slug is.
I'll be writing a full on article for FireSpeed soon on my learning journey into casting. Lots of other articles to write first!