Looking for a used Shotgun Upland bird hunting - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Looking for a used Shotgun Upland bird hunting

Title pretty much says it, Im looking for a 12ga for pheasant hunting. I have a few in mind, but would like to see if I can find any of them used for a break on the price. I have been looking at reviews online at some of the places nearby and Ill I seem to find are negative reviews on either customer service or excessive prices. Im out in Aurora so JRs and Mega Sports are nearby but all I see for review are mostly negative.

Where have you guys had positive experiences on used gun purchases?

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Sportbike: vt1100c3, XR 50
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: CR.us

Mossy 500 FTW

Sent from my mutha fukin pgone!!!
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignickyh View Post
Mossy 500 FTW

Actually of all the options I'm looking at, the Mossberg is the one that I'm going to stay away from. I don't like the feeling of the loose slide, feels cheap to me.

Adam
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM

not sure what you were looking at but mine is not loose and it has the biggest aftermarket at lowest prices. I have had mine for over 10years and have thousands of rounds thru it. NEW your looking at 275 if you find a deal and that gun will outlast most.

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

I was at Dicks Sporting Goods and they pulled down the 500 for me off the rack. The slide/pump on it could wobble from side to side and they said that’s how they designed the gun. I’m not a big fan…

I was looking more at a 870 Wingmaster or a Benelli Nova, or possibly the 870 supermag as my possible options.

Adam
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM

to each his own, I would look store but buy online unless you get a comparable deal. Also try armslist.com local sales know a.bunch of people been down that road

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Does no one buy used guns?

Adam
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
In my opinion getting a base 12ga is worth buying new as the sale prices found in stores will be comparable to used asking prices. For higher sticker priced items, used is the way to go.

Greg

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
I hear about people getting great deals on used shotguns, but I've never seen one myself. I get pissed when I hear "oh yeah, I picked up an old Police Remington 870 for $100 and just threw some modern plastics on it for $60". I've just never seen a deal like that, though I keep my eyes out for them.

I dropped about $500 on my Benelli Super Nova, $600 on my Saiga 12, and $250 for my Remington 870. I'm looking at a Mossberg 590A1 next. I would absolutely buy the Super Nova or the Remington 870 again. Both are very fine shotguns and worth every penny. I'm not so sure about the Saiga yet - it still feels like a $299 shotgun to me.

For bird hunting, the longer ribbed barreled shotguns are your best bet, and often you can find them much cheaper than the "tactical" shotguns. Though if it's going to be used as an all purpose gun, then anything that feels good to you will do, but a shorter Home Defense or "tactical" shotgun makes shooting small moving targets much more difficult.

I friggen hate JRs, but you might try there or GAT Guns (if you can find someone to help you) for used hunting shotgun.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I hear about people getting great deals on used shotguns, but I've never seen one myself. I get pissed when I hear "oh yeah, I picked up an old Police Remington 870 for $100 and just threw some modern plastics on it for $60". I've just never seen a deal like that, though I keep my eyes out for them.

I dropped about $500 on my Benelli Super Nova, $600 on my Saiga 12, and $250 for my Remington 870. I'm looking at a Mossberg 590A1 next. I would absolutely buy the Super Nova or the Remington 870 again. Both are very fine shotguns and worth every penny. I'm not so sure about the Saiga yet - it still feels like a $299 shotgun to me.

For bird hunting, the longer ribbed barreled shotguns are your best bet, and often you can find them much cheaper than the "tactical" shotguns. Though if it's going to be used as an all purpose gun, then anything that feels good to you will do, but a shorter Home Defense or "tactical" shotgun makes shooting small moving targets much more difficult.

I friggen hate JRs, but you might try there or GAT Guns (if you can find someone to help you) for used hunting shotgun.
Is there a reason you chose the Supernova over the Nova (besides the fact that it's super)?

Also, which 870 did you go with? My dad suggested the Wingmaster but that's at a higher price point and might be hard to find cheaper than the Benelli.

Last thing, been seeing these come with different chokes. What is their purpose and how important is it to have a removable choke and have alternatives to swap out?

Adam
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Is there a reason you chose the Supernova over the Nova (besides the fact that it's super)?

Also, which 870 did you go with? My dad suggested the Wingmaster but that's at a higher price point and might be hard to find cheaper than the Benelli.

Last thing, been seeing these come with different chokes. What is their purpose and how important is it to have a removable choke and have alternatives to swap out?
chokes are a big thing specialy with bird hunting they determine the width of your shot size. ie for a narrower pattern or a wide shot pattern

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM

post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Are you considering a semi or just pump?

Greg

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

I'd be open for semi, but I can't justify the price hike between that and the pump with as often as I'll get to go hunting around here.

Adam
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

why is it you feel you cant hunt a lot around here?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

You can't go wrong with an 870 Wingmaster.... there's a reason so many exist. It's a solid gun, that will be with you a lifetime.

I wouldn't look at anything without choke tubes though. If you buy the gun now for pheasant hunting, you'll want to take it to a club and shoot some trap, skeet, 5-stand / walking clays. Trap is Imp. Modified to Full choke. Skeet takes Skeet choke (go figure). 5-stand / walking clays can range from Skeet to Modified Choke. Not saying you CAN'T shoot skeet with a full choke.... it'll just be frustrating.

If you're set on an auto..... Remington, Benelli, Browning are good choices. A good field gun (Not that tactical crap they sell to Walmart hicks) will cost between $500 and $900 for base models. And the sky is the limit on price after that.

Like a Helmet.... GET WHAT FITS YOU!

The gun should come up natural, fit into your shoulder without throwing your hands away from your body. The rail should disappear with just resting your cheek on the stock, and only the bead / beads visible. Different models have different drop on the stock, which makes them fit different. The gun that feels right, will shoot the best for you.

If you're willing to spend more, an over-under might be right for you. Great for pheasant, they swing nice, but are heavy to carry and you only get 2 shots.

I don't buy used guns for a simple reason. The only deals I've seen on shotguns are on piles of crap that were never cleaned, worn out / sloppy, or were used to pry barb wire (finish is junk). They tend to be very close to the same price as a new gun ($300 less on a $2000 gun), and it might have 100 or 100,000 shells through it.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
saiga 12 with a 20rd drum in case those pheasants are comming right for you.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Damn, you figured it out!

Seriously though, I picked up the Super Nova tactical because it has the ComforTech stock (flexes to reduce recoil and back on target time), and I really wanted a tactical shotgun *without* a pistol grip, but with Ghost Ring sights. It's a wonderful package, and with an extended magazine tube and side saddle, it's done and done.

Quote:
I picked up the 870 Express Tactical...mostly because it came up for sale here in the forums at a good price and I really wanted an 870 in my stable. It's a rock solid home defense weapon. I'll be adding an extended mag tube on this, and probably a little Window Red Dot and done. 870 has been around since...what, the '60s? There are lots of mods for them, and the barrels aren't terribly expensive. So if I really wanted to, I could swap in a nice hunting barrel and be right at home (for about $140 for an extra barrel I think). The Wingmaster is a great shotgun and will surpass your expectations. If that's what you're leaning towards, then just go for it. But if cost is holding you back, check out a super nova with a hunting barrel and see how it feels to you

Quote:
My Benelli being a tactical shotgun doesn't have the option for chokes...it is what it is. The 870 being the Swiss army of shotgun, I can take off the breecher choke and swap in one appropriate for whatever it is your hunting. Since I don't hunt I can't recommend anything for you, I really know very little about chokes except the concept of what they are for and how they work.

One last thing...if you do go for a Benelli, don't expect to get extra barrels for it...they cost almost as much as the whole damn shotgun. So whatever you get, that's what you're going to stick with. If you were hoping to swap barrels (rather than having multiple shotguns), then your back to the 870.

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 06-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
why is it you feel you cant hunt a lot around here?
The biggest reason is that I don't know many people out here - hunters, farmers, land owners - so finding a place to hunt would be the first problem. The other issue is my schedule and working around field trials with the dogs. They'll get into the field quite a few weeks out of the season, but not necessarily for hunting. Plus I heard that the pheasant population around here is VERY weak too so that kinda sucks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Damn, you figured it out!

Seriously though, I picked up the Super Nova tactical because it has the ComforTech stock (flexes to reduce recoil and back on target time), and I really wanted a tactical shotgun *without* a pistol grip, but with Ghost Ring sights. It's a wonderful package, and with an extended magazine tube and side saddle, it's done and done.

I picked up the 870 Express Tactical...mostly because it came up for sale here in the forums at a good price and I really wanted an 870 in my stable. It's a rock solid home defense weapon. I'll be adding an extended mag tube on this, and probably a little Window Red Dot and done. 870 has been around since...what, the '60s? There are lots of mods for them, and the barrels aren't terribly expensive. So if I really wanted to, I could swap in a nice hunting barrel and be right at home (for about $140 for an extra barrel I think). The Wingmaster is a great shotgun and will surpass your expectations. If that's what you're leaning towards, then just go for it. But if cost is holding you back, check out a super nova with a hunting barrel and see how it feels to you

My Benelli being a tactical shotgun doesn't have the option for chokes...it is what it is. The 870 being the Swiss army of shotgun, I can take off the breecher choke and swap in one appropriate for whatever it is your hunting. Since I don't hunt I can't recommend anything for you, I really know very little about chokes except the concept of what they are for and how they work.

One last thing...if you do go for a Benelli, don't expect to get extra barrels for it...they cost almost as much as the whole damn shotgun. So whatever you get, that's what you're going to stick with. If you were hoping to swap barrels (rather than having multiple shotguns), then your back to the 870.
It sounds like the Benelli should be a solid bet in the Nova or Super - 3.5" chamber and multiple choke options. I'll have to get my hands on a few of them and see what I like. The guys at JR didn't seem like they were too wild about me handling them so I'll see what I can do about finding some place a little friendlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post

If you're willing to spend more, an over-under might be right for you. Great for pheasant, they swing nice, but are heavy to carry and you only get 2 shots.

I don't buy used guns for a simple reason. The only deals I've seen on shotguns are on piles of crap that were never cleaned, worn out / sloppy, or were used to pry barb wire (finish is junk). They tend to be very close to the same price as a new gun ($300 less on a $2000 gun), and it might have 100 or 100,000 shells through it.
The over/under is an interesting concept. I believe a break away shotgun is needed to be carried when it comes to field trials for the dogs - never loaded, but carried during the testing.

That's a good point with the used guns. definitely something to keep in mind if I stumble across a used deal.

Adam
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

if youre the one with the dogs - people will find you. Trust me
If you want to hunt only wild birds then yes, you may as well take up bowling. If youre open to other types of hunts - look harder. Your dogs could not possibly care less about what kind of birds theyre hunting.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

If you just want to manhandle shotguns or are considering buying new, Mega Sports in Plainfield would be your best bet.

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Wisconsin FIB

If you're going to carry a gun for field trials or hunt tests.... an over/under is a must, not a suggestion. The safety aspect is huge (some coordinators won't allow anything but O/U), and frankly its nice to be able to break the gun and throw it over the shoulder to tend to a dog.

Ive grown up with pump, auto, and over/under...... and prefer the O/U for all around shooting. You'll pay more. Two barrels, 2 chokes, 2 firing mechanisms, fit and finish will be higher quality. I've been looking at replacing my Ruger Red Label (16 year old field gun), and the leading candidate (no engraving) is $1800.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
if youre the one with the dogs - people will find you. Trust me
If you want to hunt only wild birds then yes, you may as well take up bowling. If youre open to other types of hunts - look harder. Your dogs could not possibly care less about what kind of birds theyre hunting.
I'd be open to trying anything, but the field trials, testing, hunting in general is all very new to me (been a long time since I've been out hunting). What other types of hunts are you suggesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post
If you're going to carry a gun for field trials or hunt tests.... an over/under is a must, not a suggestion. The safety aspect is huge (some coordinators won't allow anything but O/U), and frankly its nice to be able to break the gun and throw it over the shoulder to tend to a dog.

Ive grown up with pump, auto, and over/under...... and prefer the O/U for all around shooting. You'll pay more. Two barrels, 2 chokes, 2 firing mechanisms, fit and finish will be higher quality. I've been looking at replacing my Ruger Red Label (16 year old field gun), and the leading candidate (no engraving) is $1800.
I agree that's something that I'd need to look into in the future. My dad was big into hunting when I was younger and always wanted and o/u but never got around to getting one. I may be wrong, but I don't think that'll the break over gun be needed until these pups get to a master level (if I remember correctly). I think a solid pump is a good way to start, especially if I want to get them hunting this season.

Adam
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
God forgives, we don't

Sportbike: K7 Gixxer 600, 15 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
Years Riding: 5+
How you found us: On the interwebz

Also look at the Weatherby shotguns... I have one of these (PA-459) for home defense. Very good quality and priced well.

This would be pimp for hunting...

post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
I use a Mossberg 500 pump as a backup and a Semi Auto Beretta Urika 391 as my primary gun.

I prefer my semi auto for quick follow up shots since I miss a lot (I have a list of excuses of why I miss). I've never handled an OU though, but everyone I've ever talked to has always said the love it. If you need to break open a gun for safety and can't empty it (you can only carry 3 shells in the gun anyhow), trust your safety, or leave the bolt open, then you might have some paranoia issues.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inu View Post
I use a Mossberg 500 pump as a backup and a Semi Auto Beretta Urika 391 as my primary gun.

I prefer my semi auto for quick follow up shots since I miss a lot (I have a list of excuses of why I miss). I've never handled an OU though, but everyone I've ever talked to has always said the love it. If you need to break open a gun for safety and can't empty it (you can only carry 3 shells in the gun anyhow), trust your safety, or leave the bolt open, then you might have some paranoia issues.
I have a 500 also I use for everything, a mossberg silver reserve O/U I cant stand that my brother uses a mossberg 6200 semi that hates everything except high brass so thats a dust collector. My 500 is my favorite, 3sec to change from a bird hunting gun to a tactical, shoots 3 1/2 shells. can get a rifled barrel for slugs, and parts and acc. are cheap and.everywhere. used it at the Zombie Shoot pulled 14.71sec on 11 target with the plug in loading 3rnds on.the run. fastest with a pump that ran all day. wasnt the nice 7.71 that I believe Pale ran but its a runner

Last edited by bignickyh; 06-14-2012 at 10:46 AM.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Greg

The reason I asked if you were interested in a semi vs a pump to kind of judge your budget. As already stated you can get a great basic Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 for $250 and it will last you forever. After that you can spend as much as you like to upgrade or customize. I personally like the feel of and the safety on the Mossy, but as far as options/accessories go, the Remmy has more stuff out there.

Semi's are nice, but I have never been out with anyone who has one that they did not spend half the time trying to troubleshoot something.

Greg

post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inu View Post
If you need to break open a gun for safety and can't empty it (you can only carry 3 shells in the gun anyhow), trust your safety, or leave the bolt open, then you might have some paranoia issues.
It's not for your safety or paranoia, during field events its for everyone's piece of mind.

I can tell an O/U is unloaded and safe from a long distance off when its open. The same can't be said about a pump or auto. I'm not worried about my gun....I'm worried about the other guy Ive never met, swinging his gun around while he tries to control his dog.

I still vote 870. Great starter gun, good price. Take the money saved and put it into training the pups.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Any disadvantage with the express over the wingmaster in the 870?

Adam
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Quote:
Any disadvantage with the express over the wingmaster in the 870?
I think the rib is slightly different. The express is more of a turkey gun, so it might have a rail design for optional sights.

Guts are the same, stock is synthetic, and balance will be slightly different because of it. If you're not one for looks, its a good option.

Ive never seen an express in person though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode