Chicago Firearms Permit Training Course - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 05 SV
Years Riding: ...
How you found us: ...

Chicago Firearms Permit Training Course

I'm on the northside in the city, best place to take this course?

I've yet to apply for the FOID card, which will be done within the next 2-3 days, which I know will take 30ish days to get

And then have to take the course since I'm in Chicago

From the way its been worded, I only need the course if I plan on owning a firearm in the near future, but if I plan on just renting/borrowing for practice at a range, all I need is my FOID card?

I'm alot newer than to this than you think, but doesn't hurt to verify with others who have more experience

Personal preference for nearby gun shops/ranges to browse/rent/shoot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Be advised that FOID applications are overwhelmed & backed up, due to recent events. Expect anywhere from 6-9 weeks to receive yours.

You need a FOID to not only own or purchase, but to possess & transport. That means that if you want to peruse firearms at a store, you'll need an FOID to handle (i.e. possess) one in the showroom. Additionally, with an FOID, you may purchase ammunition and rent firearms, to use on a range.

Without a FOID, you'll have to accompany someone who does have an FOID, to use a range.

Many people here are fans of either Maxon's or GAT Guns. Note that Maxon's is an old school hole BUT they are in the process of building a massive, brand new range & store right now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Why wait to apply for a FOID. Just do it now. You can download the form from the IL State Police website and mail it in yourself. If you have a gun shop do it for you then it'll cost more.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Be advised that FOID applications are overwhelmed & backed up, due to recent events. Expect anywhere from 6-9 weeks to receive yours.

You need a FOID to not only own or purchase, but to possess & transport. That means that if you want to peruse firearms at a store, you'll need an FOID to handle (i.e. possess) one in the showroom. Additionally, with an FOID, you may purchase ammunition and rent firearms, to use on a range.

Without a FOID, you'll have to accompany someone who does have an FOID, to use a range.

Many people here are fans of either Maxon's or GAT Guns. Note that Maxon's is an old school hole BUT they are in the process of building a massive, brand new range & store right now.
Awesome, thanks for the info. So looks like the FOID will do for renting, etc except having a firearm at home in Chicago.

Yea I know its probably gonna take much longer than 30 days, but its no rush really so I guess it doesn't matter, not like I have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
Why wait to apply for a FOID. Just do it now. You can download the form from the IL State Police website and mail it in yourself. If you have a gun shop do it for you then it'll cost more.
No idea man, part of it is because I've been busy lately and keep forgetting at night when I have a chance. Its only $10 and can be done online, will do it today.

More importantly, where is the best place to take teh Chicago Firearm Permit class? Of course google gives me quite a few results, and I know its just a basic class, but doesn't hurt to have recommendations.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
/this

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidapp.cfm

you just need a passport photo from walgreens or print it out yourself. dont spend too much time on it, they will likely toss it and use your license photo on file.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Yup, already printed it out, couldn't find a photo earlier today even though I had a few laying around from renewing my passport, but walgreens is pretty close, chances are I'll send it out today

I do know they're backed up, but its not really a rush

Any recommendations for where can I take the CFP course? GAT has it so chances are I'll probably go there once I get my card in 6-8 weeks, but it is a hike

Anywhere closer to Chicago? eventhough I know I'll probably have to drive for the range portion of it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothiawala786 View Post
Anywhere closer to Chicago? eventhough I know I'll probably have to drive for the range portion of it
http://www.maxonshooters.com/fireTrain.html

Quote:
NRA Basic Safety Course or Chicago Firearm Permit course:

If you are interested in a NRA Basic Handgun Safety Course and/or a Chicago Firearm Permit Course, please contact us directly at 847-298-GUNS so we may put you in touch with an Instructor that is closest to your area that provides this type of course for you. We will be holding the range qualification portion of these courses at our range, however, due to the limited space & scheduling availability at our current location, the classroom portion is conducted with the Instructor. At our new location, all classroom & range portions will be conducted on-site.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Awesome man, I read the first paragraph where ti said the Basic NRA course doesn't qualify and I started browsing other parts of their site, not sure why I didn't scroll down

They're closer too. Sending my FOID card app today, maybe if I'm lucky I'll get it before March

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode