2013 ASC Zombie Shoot - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: vt1100c3, XR 50
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: CR.us

2013 ASC Zombie Shoot

Hey guys some of you know me and some don't. My name is Nick. I have shot with some of you at Practical Rifle. The reason for this thread is I along with my brother Richey are the new Chair and Head of the 2013 ASC Zombie Shoot. I know a lot of people had likes and dislikes over the years the event has been put on. I would like to get some feedback on what you liked and also didn't. Please keep in mind to be polite and let me know what you think or would like to see. As I stated I am just trying to get some feedback so we can have a great 2013 Event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Congrats!

May as well resurrect our prior discussion about the 2012 event, to start things off.

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=106

And of course, some of the others had things to say in the same thread.

Do you have access to the results from the 2012 survey that was sent out?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

2013 ASC Zombie Shoot

We have allot of the replies that we are sorting thru. This is our 1st year running it so as you can imagine the paperwork and emails to sort. I figured I would just throw out a fresh thread
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

2013 ASC Zombie Shoot

This year a big push is for vendors and food to be up front not down on the 600yrd range. If anyone is looking for a booth or vendor please contact me. I will do the best I can to get you and your stuff where the registration is.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Details? When and where? Will out of state people be able to participate?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM

Sportbike: 2010 HD Forty-Eight
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: interwebs

I went to the 2011 one and LOVED it. I thought that was an excellent format. I was super excited for the 2012 event until I saw the layout and format, pricing structure.. etc.. didn't go.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2013 ASC Zombie Shoot

It will be at ASC in waterman date TBD and we are working out so that as long as an OFS person is able to be in possession of a firearm in their home state and has proper doc. CC permit or license they will be allowed. We are still building for this years shoot so nothing is set. We are still in the building and planning stage. I will give more details to come

Sent from my Samsung Assault Phone
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Nicky - I'll do my best to remember & paraphrase my feedback for you:

- Costs were too high, despite the "all you can eat" approach. Got far less for the cost. Really hurts those who can only participate for part of the day. Preferred the ticketing "pay for what you consume" system.
- Some bays were "wasted" with things like archery (too large of a bay allocated to it), training, etc.
- Move vendors closer.
- Communication - Range rules, especially since this was a cold range event, were not clearly communicated prior to the event.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignickyh View Post
This year a big push is for vendors and food to be up front not down on the 600yrd range. If anyone is looking for a booth or vendor please contact me. I will do the best I can to get you and your stuff where the registration is.
Do previous vendors get a discount because of last year?

Let me know how else we can be of assistance. Eric's photos were used for the last event, we can put together a new photo shoot for the next if desired.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bek. We are going to move the vendors up this year and working on a budget cost. I know from 2011 with the tickets was cheaper but we were looking for a simple all around way. Let me ask this. What is a fair price (honest) that people would be willing to pay. You have to understand getting the use of the range patch/tshirt. Paperwork all cost money and time. To shoot a rifle the cheapest place around is Article II so thats $25 right there. Indoor range max 60ft. Contained atmosphere and firing conditions. Events are by no means cheap. The feedback we recieved was positive about the price and all you can shoot. 87% to 13% I would like to lower the cost this year a little. But understand where does one get an opportunity to shoot an event like ZS for $75. I am by no means taking what you are saying in a negative way. I thought it was too much. So we are working on that. Range rule will be addressed I promise. Thanks. Keep it going with the feedback

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
Do previous vendors get a discount because of last year?

Let me know how else we can be of assistance. Eric's photos were used for the last event, we can put together a new photo shoot for the next if desired.
Are you interested in having a booth again? Im looking to really open up the Vendor situation. As far as price I cant comment on that at this moment. I can tell you I will address it in our meeting and address the concern of vendors being out of the public eye.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

65-70 IMO for marketing appeal and value would feel appropriate.
If a particular course costs more you could have it advertised that running the XX course will cost a few bucks extra.

Skip on shirts, stick with the patches except go smaller, that zombie head one was huge.
What about PVC patches? I can connect you with my manufacturer, They will need about 3-4 weeks to get product in hand from time of approval.

the range rules part can be adjusted always, but IMO I did not think there was anything in the safety brief that was missed or what could be added to ensure a safe environment.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Quote:
Are you interested in having a booth again? Im looking to really open up the Vendor situation. As far as price I cant comment on that at this moment. I can tell you I will address it in our meeting and address the concern of vendors being out of the public eye.

I should be able to get the Booth staffed again without issue. Just keep me in the loop.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks Bek. We are going to move the vendors up this year and working on a budget cost. I know from 2011 with the tickets was cheaper but we were looking for a simple all around way. Let me ask this. What is a fair price (honest) that people would be willing to pay. You have to understand getting the use of the range patch/tshirt. Paperwork all cost money and time. To shoot a rifle the cheapest place around is Article II so thats $25 right there. Indoor range max 60ft. Contained atmosphere and firing conditions. Events are by no means cheap. The feedback we recieved was positive about the price and all you can shoot. 87% to 13% I would like to lower the cost this year a little. But understand where does one get an opportunity to shoot an event like ZS for $75. I am by no means taking what you are saying in a negative way. I thought it was too much. So we are working on that. Range rule will be addressed I promise. Thanks. Keep it going with the feedback

I totally appreciate the back & forth dialogue & opportunity to have a little direct input. And I totally appreciate that I'm just one opinion of many.

I don't remember exact costs from prior years, so these numbers may be off... but I seem to remember that things went from $20-30 + t-shirt & ticketing system, to $75 + a patch & call you can shoot. It was a big swing. Personally, I'd be fine paying $40-50 with some tickets, no additional swag, & the opportunity to buy more tickets if I choose to shoot more.

Additionally, part of my dissatisfaction with the all-you-can-eat approach, is that I felt the overall quantity, quality, & selection of stages in 2012 were not as good as 2010 or 2011. Going off of memory, 2012's had 2 bays dedicated to training organizations, which were shooting stages in the past. I mentioned how I disliked how the archery stage took up a very large & wide shooting bay, and was underutilized.

The other part of the price shock, is that when it was announced, no stages had been determined at that time. As I recall, stages weren't even announced until very close to the event. So I felt like we didn't know what we would be getting for our $75.

I sincerely hope this feedback helps.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
I should be able to get the Booth staffed again without issue. Just keep me in the loop.
Will do as soon as we iron out some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
I totally appreciate the back & forth dialogue & opportunity to have a little direct input. And I totally appreciate that I'm just one opinion of many.

I don't remember exact costs from prior years, so these numbers may be off... but I seem to remember that things went from $20-30 + t-shirt & ticketing system, to $75 + a patch & call you can shoot. It was a big swing. Personally, I'd be fine paying $40-50 with some tickets, no additional swag, & the opportunity to buy more tickets if I choose to shoot more.

Additionally, part of my dissatisfaction with the all-you-can-eat approach, is that I felt the overall quantity, quality, & selection of stages in 2012 were not as good as 2010 or 2011. Going off of memory, 2012's had 2 bays dedicated to training organizations, which were shooting stages in the past. I mentioned how I disliked how the archery stage took up a very large & wide shooting bay, and was underutilized.

The other part of the price shock, is that when it was announced, no stages had been determined at that time. As I recall, stages weren't even announced until very close to the event. So I felt like we didn't know what we would be getting for our $75.

I sincerely hope this feedback helps.
2011 was $35 with 15 tickets/shirt and option to buy more 2012 was $75 patch and chamber flag. Optional night shoot all you can shoot. I want the feedback and want to have a better 2013 ZS event. Without input we dont know. I cant make promises but. I am trying to meet in the middle

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
Optional night shoot
To my knowledge, the Night Shoot was by invite only. If it was included as part of the $75, then that add-on would have helped to justify the increased cost.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Interested in doing this (and in joining ASC as well).

My 2 cents: Make it fun!!

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

We are trying

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Sportbike: 2010 HD Forty-Eight
How you found us: interwebs

Yeah... do it like 2012's... but the opposite.... FUN!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

In the other threads here I wrote my review of the 2012 shoot. I think $75 is a fair price. In fact, you probably already review your registration each year to see what the sweet spot is for such an event. That in itself will tell you a lot about what you need to know. I agree that your facility offers something unique and it should be priced appropriately. Don't give it away for free unless there are some other intangibles such as new membership. But that should be evaluated as well.

Making it too complicated by having 1/2 day registration might require additional staff to monitor wristbands. But its only fair for me to say I attended from opening to noon and then left.

Now the events need to be unique. I didn't see many total beginners but there was more than one lane set up for them. I just don't see too many total newbies going through the whole registration process. Maybe as walk ons with a pre-registrant (a wife or girlfriend) but not a total newbie.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the black powder lane or other stuff that was somewhat unique. I love archery but I really wish it was set up a little better. Hatchet throws I can do at the Bristol Renaissance Faire so I'm mostly interested in shooting sports.

So what I want to see is more run and gun or timed events to encourage friendly competition. Awards don't need to be given out just bragging rights. I liked being able to use my AR the way it was made to be used. Shooting at scarecrows is good for warming up but it gets boring quick.

I'd also have some supervisors floating around to ensure lanes are being run to standard. I waited in front of the shotgun booth for 20 minutes while the operators joked about. They didn't even ask if I wanted to start. I tried to get noticed but they were just having their own moment I guess. Other events were run much better.

And the vendors, that needs to be corrected. It was a real shame what happened in 2012. They should be right up front as close to the parking as possible, perhaps IN the parking area. Make the vendor area the HQ and put the toilets, Safety, & medical right next to them. Rigorously invite vendors. The vendor area could pay for a lot more simply if there were more booths. I've run a few small conferences in my professional life and our vendor area always paid for a significant cost of the event. Think about Gold/Silver/Bronze event sponsorship, sponsorship for food, for toilets, etc. Think about non-traditional sponsors like the IL National Guard, Army Reserve, American Lung Association, Ducks Unlimited, etc.

Finally, marketing. Go viral. Have members leave flyers in the lanes of other ranges when they leave. Use Facebook. The website last year was pretty good. It could be better. Include a map of the event layout even if it's preliminary. Cross reference with paintball airsoft operators such as: http://operationplague.com/ Because that's how you will attract new members.

Also, you might want to think about partnering with other ranges, specifically indoor ranges such as Article II because you don't necessarily compete with them either because of distance or that you have outdoor facilities. You may find that like Burger King and McDonalds it pays off to link your businesses even if you are competitors.

All in all though, I will say I was impressed. You have a great platform to work within and it sounds like you have a pool of person resources that are really enthusiastic about the sport. Keep up the good work.

Finally, and this is my personal opinion, try to link this with the Walking Dead season opener or invite one of the actors to the shoot. This show is so popular, any cross marketing with it would be wise. Shit have a tent in the food area with a TV playing season 1-3.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Google

Don't hide the vendors away on the 600 yard range, give Firespeed Tactical and the other guys a chance at getting some decent foot traffic. Also contact vendors now, I remember the guy who ran it last year mentioning that he hadn't given big names like Midway or Brownells earlier enough notice to get some cool free swag
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

They vendors will not be down on the 600 this year. Plan is to have them upfront at registration.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitrogen View Post
Don't hide the vendors away on the 600 yard range, give Firespeed Tactical and the other guys a chance at getting some decent foot traffic. Also contact vendors now, I remember the guy who ran it last year mentioning that he hadn't given big names like Midway or Brownells earlier enough notice to get some cool free swag
Yes, and you should cast a larger net to bring in many more.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
I'd suggest using living social or groupon (if they ever let gun clubs back). I also think keeping the price down will encourage more attendees.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

whats the logo looking like for this year?

im thinking about making myself a hat

http://www.flexfit.com/hats/177/6199-flexfit-fade

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode