I'm in the process of building my first AR15. The www.firespeedtactical.com
guys are hooking me up and helping me out on the build. But, I'm really stuck on optics. Maybe some of you guys have an opinion on what to go with?
Here's my thoughts so far:
- The guns purpose is really CQC. Home defense and fun shooter, maybe I'll go back to shooting some 3 gun comps with it here and there
- REALLY like the ACOG with top mount red dot, but I don't really need any magnification on this build for it's purposes. But maybe would like to add some magnification later if possible. I'm also not sure I want to shell out $1200 all at once for this, but still not an impossibility if that's what it takes.
- I don't like the Eotech's. The more I read about the battery life, the more I dislike them. I'm the kind of person that leaves stuff in the locker and puts things on hold for long periods of time and likes things to work when I come back them.
- Nightvision isn't necessary but again I may like the possibility of adding it later. I think for home defense purpose I'll add some sort of light/laser configuration besides the optic.
This is what I'm leaning toward: Aimpoint red dot with flip up iron sights.
- This option seems to have good battery life, rugged quality, and functionality I'm looking for. But I don't know if I can add magnification or nightvision to this later.
Is there an optic out there that fits the bill for everything I'm looking for or am I searching for something that doesn't exist?