Ammo - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Ammo

I still have a little stocked up, but was checking out prices today and wtf. Everywhere I looked online was sold out and the prices listed were twice the "norm". I thought the hoarding was only on the black rifles and related ammo. This sucks! Any ideas when this will subside? Any tips for fairly priced in stock 9?

Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

9 is hard to come by. And I've seen prices around here vary from $15 to $25 a box / 50 for mid-range stuff. All of the local shops that have some in stock, have a box limit per customer. (Typically less than 3 boxes any ammo). Can't even buy the bulk boxes of .22
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Sportbike: '10 Husqvarna 510 SMR, '91 Honda CT70
Years Riding: since 1983
How you found us: link from sig of Chris'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
This sucks! Any ideas when this will subside?
It does suck and your guess is as good as mine when ammo will be readily available. I've seen .223 ammo occasionally in some local shops, but I haven't seen 9mm for a while. Better jump on it if you do see it. Only thing I see readily available is .17 and large rifle rounds like 300 win mags.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Consider yourself lucky that you're just now dealing with this ass pain... I know I'm out of state, but things are pretty hard down in Kansas too. The only place that has ammo in stock regularly is Academy Sports+Outdoors, but they have a ridiculous limit of one box of ammo per caliber, 3 box total, per day... It wouldn't be bad if they had their bulk ammo boxes available, but they don't. So unless I'm going to the store with 2+ buddies, and all of us need different calibers, it's not worth the 25 mile drive... I really do hope this shit get's back to normal soon.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

how much 9mm you looking to buy I think i have 150 rounds of winchester white box i used from the range laying around and I dont have a 9mm any more

Actually make that 229 rounds

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 03-03-2013 at 11:57 PM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

I'd say it's time to get into reloading, but Firebretha pointed out that even .45ACP reloading dies were going for 3X normal pricing.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
People buy ammo WTF?? I thought everyone reloaded. Even if prices were "normal" I would still reload, because there is no way to afford to shoot more than twice a week if you have a mortgage, car payment(s), pay off the credit card(s), put food on the table for the family and basically have a life. I laugh at the shooters than leave their brass at the range, then say "I don't reload" idiots don't realize that is the most expensive part of a round, they are leaving money on the ground. Fuck I pick up everything, someone will buy it from me. You can get into reloading for next to nothing. You don't have to spend a $1000 on a press. If you can't find a used press for sale, buy a Lee Turret press. For $200 you can get an adequate reloading set up, fine you'll only crank out maybe 150 to 200 rounds an hour, but it's better than getting raped buying ammo. Ohhhhh Titan Reloading is out of 40 S&W dies

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I'd say it's time to get into reloading, but Firebretha pointed out that even .45ACP reloading dies were going for 3X normal pricing.
your kidding me I'm finding it hard to just find some common caliber dies and components. I'm so glad I always buy bulk, people are hitting me up for, powder and primers and get pissy when I say 'no' or maybe it's they get pissy when I sad "guess that kick ass zombie killer you "built" won't do you much good now" I am putting together a 8mm scout rifle and parts are reasonable and easy to find. Although to my dismay ammo is scarce, but affordable, components are not too bad. But I have to laugh when people say "why are you doing it in 8MM Mauser Rick?" Because I can do it for a quarter of the cost of .308 I can't believe I'm thinking of getting back into reloading shotgun, it's amazing the stuff I find cleaning up, 5000 shotgun primers....and 10,000 large pistol primers Diane should get on my case to clean up the basement more often $68 for a Lee shotgun press in 12 gauge, not bad

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
People buy ammo WTF?? I thought everyone reloaded. Even if prices were "normal" I would still reload, because there is no way to afford to shoot more than twice a week if you have a mortgage, car payment(s), pay off the credit card(s), put food on the table for the family and basically have a life. I laugh at the shooters than leave their brass at the range, then say "I don't reload" idiots don't realize that is the most expensive part of a round, they are leaving money on the ground. Fuck I pick up everything, someone will buy it from me. You can get into reloading for next to nothing. You don't have to spend a $1000 on a press. If you can't find a used press for sale, buy a Lee Turret press. For $200 you can get an adequate reloading set up, fine you'll only crank out maybe 150 to 200 rounds an hour, but it's better than getting raped buying ammo. Ohhhhh Titan Reloading is out of 40 S&W dies

Yeah, normally I'd be right there with you, but things are sold out everywhere. It took me two hours to find a $21 Lee bullet sizer so I can squeeze my lead cast .45 hollow points to the right diameter for my pistol. And then I had to pay $36 shipped for something that normally costs me $23 shipped or so.

Right now, if you didn't stock up on ammo, or are a reloading and stocked up on components...well, drop your pants and bring your own lube...you're going to be paying to shoot.

I saw some reports saying that the government recently has ordered enough ammo to keep them stocked for 14+ years. The tinfoil hat types say it's just a step towards prepping for an eventual civil war; regardless, the result is that us civvies simply don't have the ammunition we need, and what little has been leaked out to us is at premium prices.

I nearly fell out of my chair the other day when I saw people getting excited at 5.56 coming in stock at .90 a round!!

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 03-04-2013 at 08:20 AM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I have it under good authority that the govenrment is throwing ammo/arms budgets into lots of their agencies just to keep buying it! I know someone at the EPA that can't figure out why he's budgeted millions in ammo. Nobody in the EPA is armed yet he tells me they are buying ammo and destroying it!!!

If anyone sees anthing out there for .223 or 9mm lmk. I could use some right now. I feel like an idiot because I sold my shotgun reloader for next to nothing a year ago and gave away all the shells to the guy I sold it to! doh!

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

I just saw this pop up on Facebook.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

i am looking for some 762 x 39
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalz View Post
i am looking for some 762 x 39
Call up the douchenozzles at RGUNs. they typically have spam cans of AK and Mosin ammo in stock.

I'm not sure if that holds true during the panic though. I've not been back to that shop since last year when I picked up my sniper mosin from them. They were the only one with them in stock, otherwise I wouldn't have put up with their douchbaggery.

http://www.rguns.net/

847-428-3569
847-428-0029 (FAX)
140 North Western Avenue, Route 31
Unit B
Carpentersville, Illinois 60110

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

they seem to be sold out=(
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Quote:
your kidding me I'm finding it hard to just find some common caliber dies and components. I'm so glad I always buy bulk, people are hitting me up for, powder and primers and get pissy when I say 'no' or maybe it's they get pissy when I sad "guess that kick ass zombie killer you "built" won't do you much good now" I am putting together a 8mm scout rifle and parts are reasonable and easy to find. Although to my dismay ammo is scarce, but affordable, components are not too bad. But I have to laugh when people say "why are you doing it in 8MM Mauser Rick?" Because I can do it for a quarter of the cost of .308 I can't believe I'm thinking of getting back into reloading shotgun, it's amazing the stuff I find cleaning up, 5000 shotgun primers....and 10,000 large pistol primers Diane should get on my case to clean up the basement more often $68 for a Lee shotgun press in 12 gauge, not bad
Yeah, that's why I started reloading shotgun. Shoot 20 cases a year (5000 rounds) and I can justify reloading equipment. Plus I got a steal on my MEC reloader.

I still can't justify reloading 9mm and .45 though, I just don't shoot them enough. For 10 boxes a year each, meh. I AM starting to save brass (just in case ).

Sooo..... what kinda primers you got? Winchester 209 by any chance? Maybe some bags of shot laying around you might want to "clean-up" and get out of the house?
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Re: Ammo

Quote:
Not everyone has as much spare time as you
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

I won't give away all my secrets...but here's some tips.

Walmarts get regular shipments in...but they sellout FAST. You either have to be lucky and just show up randomly...or show up every day and hope you're in time.

Slickguns.com will post Ammo that is available...but again sells out quick. Most ammo has around 600-1,000 views on the link in the first 5 minutes...so again, you have to check often and be lucky.

You can buy 9mm at less than .25 cents/round these days, and .223 at less than .38/round (including shipping and/or tax). Trust me.

However...you have to be actively looking all the time.

Even .22lr is super hard to find now (harder than the other calibers!!), but...alas, every once in a while Cabelas will throw up .22lr bulk and if you're lucky to get in on it, you can pick up several thousand rounds in one order and be good to go for a while.

Ok...here's 1 secret. There's a link on AR15.com in the sticky's section of the general forum that has links to the ammo that Walmart carries by calibur. Walmart's site is pretty accurate with what's in stock. Bookmark that link, then check all the calibers often, when you see it shows in stock...drive there ASAP. You'll find ammo this way.

Shoot, between me and the fiance, and 2 walmarts this morning...I got several hundred rounds, cheap. (Note: all Walmarts have a 3 box limit)

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post

Sooo..... what kinda primers you got? Winchester 209 by any chance? Maybe some bags of shot laying around you might want to "clean-up" and get out of the house?
Yep 209, and bag(s) of #9, I have plenty of hulls and some wads. And NO

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
Not everyone has as much spare time as you
I don't watch TV or play X-box, I make time

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
I won't give away all my secrets...but here's some tips.

Walmarts get regular shipments in...but they sellout FAST. You either have to be lucky and just show up randomly...or show up every day and hope you're in time.

Slickguns.com will post Ammo that is available...but again sells out quick. Most ammo has around 600-1,000 views on the link in the first 5 minutes...so again, you have to check often and be lucky.

You can buy 9mm at less than .25 cents/round these days, and .223 at less than .38/round (including shipping and/or tax). Trust me.

However...you have to be actively looking all the time.

Even .22lr is super hard to find now (harder than the other calibers!!), but...alas, every once in a while Cabelas will throw up .22lr bulk and if you're lucky to get in on it, you can pick up several thousand rounds in one order and be good to go for a while.

Ok...here's 1 secret. There's a link on AR15.com in the sticky's section of the general forum that has links to the ammo that Walmart carries by calibur. Walmart's site is pretty accurate with what's in stock. Bookmark that link, then check all the calibers often, when you see it shows in stock...drive there ASAP. You'll find ammo this way.

Shoot, between me and the fiance, and 2 walmarts this morning...I got several hundred rounds, cheap. (Note: all Walmarts have a 3 box limit)
Thanks for sharing your secrets Pete. I need to figure out the cost of driving to the nearest walmart to pick up three boxes of ammo...it might be cheaper to just pay the Maxon's prices for ammo.

Greg

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Quote:
Yep 209, and bag(s) of #9, I have plenty of hulls and some wads. And NO
Yeah, I kinda guessed that was going to be the answer.....

Co-worker was going to sell me ten 25# bags of 8-shot that he had bought 5 or so years ago. Until he found out the cost of lead.

I'm set until June anyway, I've got 2700 rounds of 20 gauge loaded and 750 rounds of 12 gauge. So it gives me the next few months to stock up and find deals. This year started with me out to buy 20 cases of shells, now I've got a reloader, 14 cases of loaded shells, and parts for another case at least.

It's not a disease......it's called planning ahead.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Ammo

Hot damn! I must o forgot about this box! If I only had a press! 😞ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362441662.317175.jpg

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Here's the link, keep it a secret!!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/60...ty_thread.html

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

I will get my hands on 7k rounds of 30.06 this weekend, plus two M1 Garands. My brother was ready for zombies too, God bless him.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Dave, I'll be looking for a Garand in a couple of months if you decide to part with one.

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meulen View Post
Hot damn! I must o forgot about this box! If I only had a press! 😞Attachment 70921

Oh Hesus Brian you spend $8000.00 on a bicycle and won't spend

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...ress+reloading

on a press?

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Dave, I'll be looking for a Garand in a couple of months if you decide to part with one.
They were my brothers, so I will never sell them. I will however lend it to you for 1-3 years. We will talk when I come in this weekend.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
They were my brothers, so I will never sell them. I will however lend it to you for 1-3 years. We will talk when I come in this weekend.
I understand the attachment.

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Oh Hesus Brian you spend $8000.00 on a bicycle and won't spend

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...ress+reloading

on a press?
hahaha!! I wish it were only $8k!! Thanks for the link Rick, I may pick that up. Actually I had really nice press. I had it for 2 years and didn't use it once. It was cheaper, at the time, to buy the rounds on sale at megasport in bulk.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode