Beretta 92 or 96? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Beretta 92 or 96?

OK pistol boys,

I've been kicking around getting a new side arm this spring. I'm beginning to shy away from a new .45. Although if I change my mind again I'd probably go with a Kimber. I've been kicking around going with a 92. If I go off the deep end I was thinking of the Elite II. Does anyone have experience with the Beretta? Do you like it? Is the Elite II worth the extra $$$? What about 9mm vs. 40 S&W? Finally, has anyone messed with Crimson Trace LaserGrips? Beretta has a 96 factory stock with LaserGrips. http://www.crimsontrace.com/beretta/revolind.html
Oh,
GAT is having a factory demo days the last weekend in Feb. and I want to have some direction by then as they are talking about some stong sale prices and I'm sure it will be a mob scene.

Opinions?

Thanks!

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I have a 92 berretta that I bought off Ken. Out of all my friends guns that I've shot I like it the best. Super smooth, very accurate, and never jams.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Here she is.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:02 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Get a h&k for a 9 mm, beretta is nice, but a h&k is better in its ergos, and features of maintaining a good grip weld and drop the mag, engage the saftey,decock, etc...the only thing about h&k's are you gotta buy there own lighting system that only fits on there rails, and 40 cal is nothing more then a ploy to sell guns.

The ballistic properties of a 40 are almost no different then a 9 in penetration levels, while 45 packs more of a stopper and less penetration while achieving the goal, brute stopping force without to much of over penetration.

Hope this helps.
And for a 45 1911 based weapons are the best when it comes to a 45 unless its a socom 45. But that's a big hand full for what it is.
springfield armory and wilson combat are the best makers when it comes to the 1911 weapons, h&k cause i have handled almost every semi auto, and its the only one i will get if i went with one.
and then it would be a USP9mm.

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Yep, that's what I heard and my general impression. About the only bad thing I've heard is the factory trigger spring tends to break under heavy use. A spring kit is under $10 bucks. I just came accross a good article in this months American Handgunner. If you are interested I could scan it and email it to you.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:09 PM
YO MAMA

nahh i already know about it IF your talking about the H&K its called trigger reset and some people dont know how to pull a trigger if you can understand that.

either way, the beefer springs will help in that matter.

but ive shot maybe 4000 rounds threw a USP9mm with primer loads (i cant explain that any further sorry) but i havent seen a problem with it yet, again if we are talking about the h&k bruce.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

H&K? Oh well time to go shoot another 9.
I wasn't wild about the S&W 40 either.
I surprised you don't like the Kimber. I was pawing a Team Match II that had one of the best triggers I've seen.

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

No not the H&K the 92 is supposed to eat springs. You posted when I was still replying to Tony.

Last edited by Blade Runner; 01-12-2004 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:24 PM
YO MAMA

ahh i can say i ever ran into that problem, the 92fs brig, if a beerfier slide, but that about it, i went and sampled about 20 differant brigs to check slide tolerances. by far that was the best and it will hold pretty dam accurate for a good long time.

never really liked kimber, kimber is kinda like the poor mans 1911 with sub grade parts and mechining, ive handled a few not crazy about them. but thats all my personal prefferances on all that i give it on.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Your preferences are what I'm asking for buddy.

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 PM
YO MAMA

What ya gonna do with it basically, a competition piece, a paper pin hole puncher, a silhouette hitter?

this all comes down to which one does the job good enough to do it as well as you can hold a good POA "point of aim"

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:36 PM
YO MAMA

damm tony, i almost regret selling that 9 but i know as a firend your enjoying it

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Competition with a pistol? Me? That's pretty funny. Frannkly, I don't have the time to spend on it.
The Ruger which I have to go clean after I'm done working, (Yes I'm still at it.) is the primary hole puncher.
It will serve double duty. Side arm that I hope I never need (That is why I was wondering about the LaserGrips) and range gun.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:51 PM
YO MAMA

well in that case, i suggest a peice, that fits in your hands nice, something that you can get to the mag release, and saftey single handed with the weapon that takes the least breaking of your solid hold on the firearm.

almost any gun will hit 2 inch at 30 feet. since this will be a more of a defensive tool and range play toy.

but from there if you want better accuracy, lighter trigger, we are talking more money for example hand milled rails, custom trigger actions etc. most of which is found in your upper hand gun lines.

but thats the cool thing about all these brands and types...there always something to fit the amount you want to spend and taste.

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Being a lefty I'm almost always screwed on a mag release. Otherwise, I'm back to the 92 except the grip is a little large for my hands. I want to run down a Vertec model and see if it fits better. Of course, almost any 92 will do a lot better than 2" at 30'. They can probably do that at 75'. Not that I can do that, but it is a very accurate pistol out of the box. It also fits what I want to spend on the toy.

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
One word.....SIG....I shot IPSC with an out of the box 226, 25000 rounds plus, no problemo. I never liked the trigger action on any Berretta, HK's look "overly-engineered" to me bulky and Glockish. The SIG was a natural fit and pointer for me, it was like part of my hand.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:17 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I agree with Rick.......Now mind you personal feeling and preference.........I love my Sig! Extremely dependably, ergo's where perfect for me and as a duty weapon it was top notch and i put it through it's paces at the time!!! From the sandy environment to the sweltering jungle humidity it performed flawlessly. That also has a major factor on handler's maintenance.

I loved it so much i got another one for home and range.

I did have the shorter barrel on mine and VERY tweaked at the time. Almost dangerous with the trigger pull since i have been out of those environments for (Ahmm) awhile

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:28 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

If money's no object try out the HK P7 in 9mm (I'll also become your best freind if you'll let me try a box of ammo through it )

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
One word.....SIG....I shot IPSC with an out of the box 226, 25000 rounds plus, no problemo.
Sigs rock! Before you buy anything, seriously, shoot a Sig. The 226 is a solid piece and you would not regret it. The 220 is next on my list of purchases down the road. Not much experience with the Berettas, but from what I've heard the 92 is a nice one also. Whatever you get, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:55 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I like my Beretta 92. I got the stainless model. The thing shoots like butter no matter what Ken says

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
damm tony, i almost regret selling that 9 but i know as a firend your enjoying it

Shit I love this piece, I've got about 1500 rounds through it and its been awesome to me, so much so all my friends are thinking about buying simular ones.

You guys with HK's and Sig's do need to come shooting with me, I havent shot either of those yet

- Ronald Reagan

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:57 AM

Oh....hears a pic for your viewing pleasure

oooooooooooo so pretty.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Thats Perty

- Ronald Reagan

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:15 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I dont know squat about handguns but Brians Baretta did feel nice...... no matter what Ken says !

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
I dont know squat about handguns but Brians Baretta did feel nice...... no matter what Ken says !
and don't forget it's perty

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:48 AM

While running a shoooting range in the Navy, I shot the baretta's and the sig's. I have never shot the HK's.

The baretta will take a pounding, lots of rounds through it. We use to take 50 guns out and ran 7 departments of minimum 90 people through them at 30 rounds per person and they held up well. Of course we had to switch out guns for barrel cooling. All we did is cleaned them, oiled them, and very rarely changed a spring. The cool thing about them is that the are so easy to fix and get parts for. The only time the baretta would start jamming is if you have a bad magazine or the spring inside the gun is waring, not allowing the slide assembly to come back fast enough and the bullets would double feed in barrel.

The sig is more comfortable and lighter, depending on size. We the instructors carried those because of no safety's and they wont take the abuse the baretta can. The firing on the sig and baretta is real smooth but if you are in a double action fire on the baretta ( first shot of course) you have to pull back longer making your shot go down and to your writing hand side.

I personally liked the sig better because of the consistancy of firing patern and shortness of trigger pull, but I like the baretta for durability. If I were a cop I would use the baretta because I know if it gets wet or muddy it will still fire. plus it has a double safety so I wint shoot myself in the toe, I'm clumsy
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Yup I dont like guns with out safety's. I like the safty's on the berretta a lot.

- Ronald Reagan

post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 AM
YO MAMA

hey dont get me wrong, i still like beretta, and it is a reliable pistol and a work horse.

post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:51 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

9mm = pee shooter

If you're not a cop and you're going to buy a hand gun get the one of the big dogs - It might cost a bit more to shoot but they are fun and loud. If your looking for high accuracy go with small cals. like long barrel .22s. If you're looking for home protection just buy a sawed off.

just my .02
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Old Squid on a Blade

Hey thanks guys!
Well for sure I have to go to demo days at GAT. I'm still leaning towards the 92, but I'll shoot the SIG and the HK before I purchase. I do like my weapons to be bomb proof and the 92 is about as close as you can get. I also like the safety and being able to shift the Mag release for a lefty. Right now GAT has a Desert Storm "special edition" in the case on sale for $585 that is tempting me. It's hard to go wrong at that price. That leaves me plenty of moola to spend on a trigger job if I want.

Oldskool
Used to shoot a fair amount of .45. These days I'm liking the smoother recoil and quicker follow up shot of a 9. I have a Ruger .22 target and especially since my surgery I'm running 500+ rounds a week through it. My Benelli semi auto with the plug pulled so it holds more rounds is better than a sawed off, but it stays locked in the big gun safe in the basement. The 9 will live in a pistol safe in the master bed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode