Stray Bullet from the Cops - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Stray Bullet from the Cops

This is an article from the local place in Northern WI where we have our place on the lake.. straight out of Mayberry !

Errant police bullet
breaks truck window
By Kurt Krueger
News-Review Editor

An errant bullet fired by a city police officer during a training exercise last Tuesday broke the side window of a truck in the Pamida parking lot as the bullet fell from the sky, said Police Chief Sig Hjemvick.

During an exercise where an officer was firing from ground level at a target, it appears one of the bullets went over the berm, said Hjemvick. It would have to have been about a 45-degree angle into the air in order to miss the backstop.

Hjemvick said the bullet traveled nearly a mile from the department's practice range southwest of the airport before the spent projectile fell from the sky, falling at a steep angle and striking the small driver's-side window on the extended-cab pickup.

Police learned about the errant .45-caliber bullet when the truck owner went to a local dealer to have his window replaced. A worker who was vacuuming up the glass found the bullet just inside the vehicle and notified police.

When I saw it was a round-nosed .45-caliber, the type of bullet used in training, I knew it was one of ours, said Hjemvick.

He said the very understanding truck owner, Marv Jarvis of Eagle River, got an apology, a new window paid for by the department and will get some repainting where the glass scratched up the side of the truck.

There was just enough energy in that bullet to break the window. Half the glass fell inside and half of it outside, said Hjemvick. The bullet was traveling nearly vertical. It would not have hit someone if they were sitting in the vehicle.

Jarvis said it was fortunate that he wasn't standing near the driver's-side door. He said he had just been on the passenger's side, unloading some items from a cart, and that he was returning the cart to a rack in the lot when the bullet hit.

I didn't hear it hit or the glass break, but I would have seen it on the first trip to the truck if it had been broken, said Jarvis.

He said the bullet ended up on a ledge above the door handle, inches from the broken window.

What I'm really thankful for is their honesty. They could have just denied any involvement. I felt good about that, said Jarvis.

Hjemvick said Jarvis told him that as a hunter, he understood the potential of a spent bullet falling from the sky.

Surprised and unhappy that a bullet left the department's training range, Hjemvick said it was a tough lesson but that adjustments have been made to prevent any type of similar event in the future.

Our berms are plenty high to prevent that sort of occurrence and I'd say 99.9% of the bullets fired last Tuesday hit the berm, said Hjemvick. The problem was the contour of the land in front of the berm. It was too steep, and shooting from ground level, it created a bad angle. When the target was moved further from the berm, on level ground, there was no problem.

6/15/2004

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Shit if that was chicago, there would be lawsuits and jesse jackson would be out in full force calling for the disbandment of the chicago PD

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTony
Shit if that was chicago, there would be lawsuits and jesse jackson would be out in full force calling for the disbandment of the chicago PD
hmmmmm...

The People's Law Office, an activist firm, conducted an investigation and identified sixty-five (65) suspects who were tortured by Jon Burge or other officers and detectives between 1972 and 1991 in Areas 2 and 3. A report by the police investigatory agency, the Office of Professional Standards (OPS), found that physical abuse "did occur and that it was systematic.... The type of abuse described was not limited to the usual beating, but went into such esoteric areas as psychological techniques and planned torture. The evidence presented by some individuals convinced juries and appellate courts that personnel assigned to Area 2 engaged in methodical abuse."

After the city of Chicago settled the claim of thirteen-year-old Marcus Wiggins, who "alleged" electric shock by Jon Burge's detectives, the attorneys representing Wiggins fought for the release of the department's internal documents related to the case and its investigation, noting that the police are public servants and that issues of public safety and general public interest were at stake. The city and police union had argued to protect the privacy interests of the officers named in the files and a supposed chilling effect that would negatively affect future police internal investigations. The court found in favor of the public's right to know... several of Jon Burge's colleagues involved in the torture cases had been promoted, commended or allowed to retire with full benefits.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:34 PM

Re: Stray Bullet from the Cops

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot

Our berms are plenty high to prevent that sort of occurrence and I'd say 99.9% of the bullets fired last Tuesday hit the berm, said Hjemvick. 6/15/2004
I'd feel better if I lived in that area if more bullets were hitting targets instead of the berm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode