Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

A hard way to learn gun Safety!!! Graphic pics inside

626 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  HDTony 
#1 · (Edited)
Copied from another MB-its a long read but worth the time. Ill post the pics afterwards
===========================================

The Story as I Lived It!

Some of you know this story, but for those that have not heard the brief details, this is what happened last Sunday to Stuart, Jr. and me.

Stuart and I were invited to go quail shooting with a father and son whom I have a professional relationship with and the son plays on Stuart, Jr's. football team. The dad has probably been shooting for 2 years (mostly sporting clays and some released quail), and the son has probably fired only a handfull of rounds at clay targets. I typically do not accept invitations to shoot with inexperienced people and those I do not know well as most of my close friends will tell you, but the dad kept pushing for the kids to have a half day of shooting. I tried to get a rain check several times, but was eventually forced and I went only for Stuart, Jr.

The morning started with a great drive down to Dorchester with Stuart, Jr. We spent the drive talking about gun safety and what to expect (Stuarts first quail shoot). We saw the Med-star helicopter on the drive down and had an interesting conversation about the fact that we would never need to ride in that thing.

Upon our arrival, our hosts were finishing breakfast and host son playing the game boy at the lodge, and Stuart immediately went to the guides and other adults introducing himself and asking questions - believe it or not. Stuart shot a few practice rounds at the skeet range, and we were off on his new adventure. The host dad invited me to shoot with him for the first few birds so the kids could get the picture, and Stuart agreed that was a good idea. Out guide gave a great 5 minute instruction on safety - Stuart was very attentive and asked questions and the other I had hoped was listening. The dad and I shot 2 or 3 birds, and I passed the gun to Stuart and he and the other dad began shooting. Experience dictates that the dad of the young shooters always stays with the son and helps pick the target and when to shoot. Also positioning yourself between your son and the others to prevent improper swinging, etc. I should also mention that Stuart, Jr. is more experienced with guns than our host dad, and I trust him under most circumstances with a gun in his hand - hunting has become a way of life for Stuart and I, and could be said that hunting is life for the 2 of us. Our best experiences and unbelievable relationship has all been developed around hunting and fishing, and I believe that he is indeed the lifetime hunting and fishing partner that I have been looking for all of my life. I have also often listened and read the stories of others who I gladly share a campfire with that tell this same story about the relationship of father and son which was developed in the field on hunting trips. All that you read and hear is indeed true with Father and son hunting relationships.

During the morning, and with Stuart and host dad doing most of the shooting (the host son did not want to carry his gun because it was heavy and he would get tired), Stuart did great! He shot a few quail, dusted a few more, and shot a pheasant that was missed during the pheasant shoot the day before. He also knew when to shoot and not on his own and with a little of my coaching!!! The Guide even told Stuart on several occasions that he had done the right thing by not shooting. Stuart was having a blast, and dad was very proud. I should also mention that during a walk down a road on the way to the jeep for more dogs, a single got up just in front of us. Stuart was unloaded as we should have been and I was walking ahead of the others with the guide. The host dad was behind on the right and all of a sudden pulled up and shot at the bird. The muzzle was 5 to 6 inches from the guides ear and I was also close. The guide and I had serious muzzle blast, and the comment from the host dad was that he probably should not have taken the shot. This was the sort of thing that I had thought would have happened, and the reason for my not wanting to be there.

Later in the morning the host son decided to shoot, and I was proud of the host dad following my lead and leaving his gun in the jeep to work with his son. The two sons had a good go at it, and got some shooting. We decided to circle to the jeep and move to a location where a lot of singles had flown for the last 30 minutes of the hunt. On the way to the jeep we had a beautiful point and Stuart was the lone shooter. The lab flushed the point, and a beautiful rooster pheasant flew towards Stuart and then cleared to our left. He shot twice with no feathers, but was indeed a great sight when the smoke cleared. The smile was from ear to ear and his eyes bigger and brighter than silver dollars. He said that was awesome!!! I thought what a great experience for him and for a moment I was very thankful that he and I had the chance to be there enjoying the thing we love most.

Once repositioned, the host dad mentioned that his son was ok with the gun that that he thought he would shoot backup for the kids. I thought a bad idea and should have told him this, but this was his place and I kept my thought silent. We flushed a pheasant and the host dad got it on the second shot, and the dogs pointed just minutes later - locked up that is.

We went to the point in the open field with very little cover. Stuart on the far left and I was just to his right as I was all day, the guide in the center (to our right) and host son and host dad to the right of the guide and pointed dogs. Host dad was on the outside of his son which I clearly noticed and should have mentioned as we approached. The guide sent the flushing lab and 2 quail jumped and flew directly back towards the guide. Stuart and I immediately raised his gun straight up and I said no shot turning towards the others. Host dad was leaning back and raising his gun up to the safe position 5 feet or so away from his son, and I noticed the son swinging with gun parallel to the ground and coming in our direction in slow motion. The quail had cleared the guide and were gone, and I thought no way he is going to shoot. He kept swinging and the impact hit the same time as the bang. He clearly shot just to pull the trigger as the quail were long gone and not even near his sight picture! The impact was unbelievable and knocked me to the ground - I thought my guts were gone. Falling, I noticed Stuart running some small circles and saw where he had been hit in the right shoulder and a few in the face. Not knowing the seriousness of my injuries, my initial reaction was to make sure Stuart was ok. He seemed better than me, and he was concerned if I was going to die. The crazy thing is I could not answer his question and I asked him to lay with me until the EMS arrived. I had the sense to tell the guide to call the helicopter and take care of my son first. EMS told me that he was in better that I was, and this unbelievable calming sensation took control of my feelings and emotions. He said that I was in bad shape, and that I would have serious internal injuries, but that the helicopter was in route and we would get to the hospital soon. I told the EMS and helicopter flight nurses that I would not go unless Stuart went with me. They agreed and said this was a first. It was a 12 to 14 minute ride to the hospital.

The x-rays and cat scans showed around 100 shot in my gut with 8 in the liver and a few in the kidneys. Stuart has 25 to 30, and one in his kidney. We both had one shot very close to the large intestine which concerned the doctors due to infection. The thought was to wait and see and not operate, and I now think we have cleared the infection possibility. I should also say that my glasses were shattered which saved my eyes. Stuart got a few to the face and broke one of his permanent teeth which is still not resolved, and cracked his shoulder blade by three shot hitting close together. Latest count by Mary Brooke is that I have close to 200 shot in me. GA Department of Natural Resources made the determination that the shooter was less than 15 yards from us.

There are many What If's in this story including the fact if I was not in the position to take most of the shot Stuart Jr. would have gotten it all in the face and probably not survived!

This has happened for a reason that I have yet to determine. I hope this accident and future stories about my event will help hunters understand the seriousness of guns and being afield with loaded guns. Stuart and I survived this because of Gods will I am certain, and I plan to explore and understand and share this reason for the rest of my life. When time permits, and as I think and learn more about this accident, I will share the whole story in detail with you, but I wanted to tell you the brief version and to say that Stuart and I are going to be ok. The getting well process will be a week or so - hurts like elmoelmoelmoelmo-, and the healing process will take a while.

I also want to thank you for thinking about Stuart and I and praying for us, it is your prayers and Gods wish that we are here to share this unbelievable experience with you. I know we will all learn a great deal about gun safety and the reality of being in the field with loaded guns. Hunting is not for the inexperienced, but for those who take the time to learn right from wrong and follow the lead of the ones that know.

Stuart and I are planning another trip to Dorchester Shooting Preserve when we are able, and to hunt with our Guide Matt. Stuart will do all the shooting, and I plan to watch my best hunting partner have the best day of his life. Stuart is looking forward to our trip.

I am grateful!

Stuart

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats gonna leave a mark.

#4 ·
ummm are the bb's still in him? fking looks like a sheit load of paint ball gun marks up close and personal... all the best, heal well and stay alive, godspeed

#7 · (Edited)
guns arent dangerous :rolleyes you could take a fully automatic handgun..load it..cock it...lay it on the ground pointing directly at someone..that gun will never go off-until its touched by a person. Guns + People = possibility of being dangerous. Bikes are no different.

#9 ·
Sad but true......

Guns are no more dangerous in the hands of a knowledgible hunter than a corvette in an 18 yr olds hands. I am sorry but that is the way i feel.

Growing up around guns and being around them for 30+ years you have a different outlook.

In the south (atleast in Virginia where i called home) a rifle/shotgun was nothing more than a tool such as a shovel or rake. You used the tool and knew it was not a toy. It was just the way we were taught.

Knowing who you hunt with and just "WATCHING" their actions in the first 10 minutes of a hunt you get the idea of how well of a hunter he is.
This guy (the one who was shot) was WRONG because you ALWAYS speak your mind and follow your instincts!!!

If i see a "half cocked" hunter in a group i am with i always rethink cover and lines....Or i walk away if the enjoyment is not there. Chances are the "hunters" will have that person walk away!

Hunting as described above is a BEAUTIFUL thing. Shit my son is only 2 years old and a couple months back i was torn whether or not i should by him a .410 that was on sale! :laughing :laughing

GREAT POST MIKE!!!

#10 ·
Labdog said:
Hunting as described above is a BEAUTIFUL thing. Shit my son is only 2 years old and a couple months back i was torn whether or not i should by him a .410 that was on sale! :laughing :laughing

GREAT POST MIKE!!!
as long as its not Mikes 410 with the faulty trigger that attemps to take your foot out upon closing the action :laughing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.