Do you keep a gun in your car? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

View Poll Results: Do you keep a gun in the car?
Yes 6 30.00%
No...BIGGY you're a crazy mo' fo' 8 40.00%
Other weapon (knife, bat, etc.) 6 30.00%
I luvz my gun...LUVZ MY GUN! 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Do you keep a gun in your car?

During a motorcycle class that I was teaching this past year, we were talking about operating a motorcycle under stressful conditions and confontations with other drivers. While the point is to avoid it (car vs bike = win for car usually), one of the instructors mentioned a stat that 30 or 40% of drivers keep some sort of gun in the car or other weapon. Anyone here roll the streets with a gun (legally stored) in the car?

I usually have one mostly because I compete in shooting competitions and it saves me a trip home after work. Not that I ever thought or plan to use it on anyone other than paper unless I really have to. Even then it would be the last of resorts.

Last edited by BIGGY; 01-20-2003 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
In order for a gun to be considered "legally stored", wouldn't it need to be unloaded and NOT in the passenger compartment?

Personally, I think it is stupid to keep a gun in a car. A car is not a secure environment (like a residence). What happens when your car is broken into, or stolen?

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Last edited by KBOlsen; 01-20-2003 at 10:59 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
" 5 days! But I won't be angry by then!"

-Homer Simpson
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Here's what I came up with once when I sat down and looked over the laws with a Deerfield police officer...

Basically it says that...It's illegal to carry guns on you or in your car "EXCEPT that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet ONE of the following
conditions:

(i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or

(ii) are not immediately accessible; or

(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card..."

To legally carry a gun on you or in the car with you, you need to meet one of the above conditions. The third one allows you to have it in the case next to you on the seat, or you can even sit on it if you like. You can have the magazine loaded with bullets, but it must be outside the case that holds the gun. The quote above is from the Illinois Gun Law page. From the page I also got that you can basically walk around your front lawn holstered if you want. Might be an interesting way to cut the grass eh? Now the officer said "Yea everything you say is legal, but you might be arrested anyway and have to go through the courts to get it tossed out which may not be worth it. I don't give people a hard time, but there are officers that really don't know the law for carrying guns all that well..."

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 12:56 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Remember, thanks to Mayor Daley,

If you are transporting throught the city of Chicago any handgun must be disassembled

I carry a mag light. It's too risky and irresponsible to carry a gun in your car.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
Remember, thanks to Mayor Daley,

If you are transporting throught the city of Chicago any handgun must be disassembled

I carry a mag light. It's too risky and irresponsible to carry a gun in your car.
If you're passing through the city and are not a resident, then the law does not apply to you. This is only for people who plan to remain in Chicago for extended periods of time.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Well thank god only non law binding citizens and tourists can pack heat in my city.

...damn tourists. They are always the bad drivers too. I should be more careful when i scream at them.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 01:17 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by MoTo178
Well thank god only non law binding citizens and tourists can pack heat in my city.

...damn tourists. They are always the bad drivers too. I should be more careful when i scream at them.

Well,

I'm not sure thats the case cause CPD told me different, so I'm not sure where Biggy got that.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

Well,

I'm not sure thats the case cause CPD told me different, so I'm not sure where Biggy got that.
What CPD says and what the law says may not always be the same. Like when I spoke to the Deerfield officer and he never thought that the gun could be laying next to you in a case. I simply dug up the law and wanted to make sure about the wording and everything...that's when I spoke with the PD. There's a lot of laws, they don't know some of them I'm sure.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
I've considered carrying an asp on the cycle or in the cage. I don't think I would carry a gun due to the fact that I can get pretty angry at other drivers I'll leave it up to Darwinism to handle those folks.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 05:40 PM

I KEEP A UNREGISTERD GUN UNDERNEATH MY SEAT AT ALL TIMES..... GOTTA HANDLE MY BUSSINES
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:49 PM

They arent talkin cap guns! You know that you wouldnt be able to handle anything more than a Red Rider BB gun.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:03 PM

I'm never honking at or passing any driver in chicago ever again
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 08:56 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Personally, I think it is stupid to keep a gun in a car. A car is not a secure environment (like a residence). What happens when your car is broken into, or stolen?
Tell me about it.

I had a couple of handguns in my car. Planned on going shooting, but it never happened. I forgot to take them out. I'm at the air show, parked at Lincoln Park Zoo and someone broke into my car and stole them out of my trunk. They busted the passenger side window and got in. They went through my trunk, and stole the guns. The guns were hidden way in back behind a bunch of crap and were in a heavy locked box. Neither was loaded.

They took my Dan Wesson 357 Magnum Stainless Steel Revolver w/6" barrel and my 9MM Baretta 92 FS Semi w/16 round clip

It's weird, they didn't take my golf clubs which were right there, they dug in there and foung the guns. I made the Chicago Police aware of theis.

You never know!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode