Next gun? SIG 226 Elite - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Next gun? SIG 226 Elite

Apparently, they have tweaked the standard 226 trigger an bit

Quote:
The new P226 Elite is the next generation P226 and features an ergonomic beavertail grip, front cocking serrations, front strap checkering, custom wood grips and the new Short Reset Trigger or SRT. SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting.
Has anyone fired/bought one of these yet?

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Cocobolo grips look awful on that, but other than that the 226 is one of my all time favorites

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Never saw all the fuss about Sig Sauer/Sig Arms. They shoot smooth and are relatively accurate but so are most 1911s, 92FS, Glocks, etc. Why do the Sigs carry an $800-1000 price tag?

It does look like a fine weapon though.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Never saw all the fuss about Sig Sauer/Sig Arms. They shoot smooth and are relatively accurate but so are most 1911s, 92FS, Glocks, etc. Why do the Sigs carry an $800-1000 price tag?

It does look like a fine weapon though.
Porsche Boxsters and BMW M3s are relatively quick and pretty smooth, but then again so are Mustangs and WRXs. Do you really wonder why the price tag is higher on those?

The Sigs I've shot were all very high quality, solid feeling pieces. Much in the way a BMW just feels higher quality than Chevy Cobalt. My only problem with them has always been the shitty DA/SA trigger. Heavy pull, tons of overtravel, long reset. This Elite model seems as though it might be better, which is why I ask about it. A good trigger is fundamentally important to real world accuracy.

I'd take a Sig over the Beretta 9 any day. Not so sure about taking a Sig over a Glock (have one) or a 1911 (have one).

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

I get the German car analogy and that makes sense. But you kind of made my point for me with your last sentence, if you're not sure if you'd buy this $1,000 Sig over a $400 Glock then what's the appeal. As I said, it looks nice, I like the cocobola grips and half rail, it looks like a fine tactical weapon, but if it were my $1000 it would be on a 1911 or an HK.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
I get the German car analogy and that makes sense. But you kind of made my point for me with your last sentence, if you're not sure if you'd buy this $1,000 Sig over a $400 Glock then what's the appeal. As I said, it looks nice, I like the cocobola grips and half rail, it looks like a fine tactical weapon, but if it were my $1000 it would be on a 1911 or an HK.
Oh, we're on the same page my friend. I already have all of the above, which I bought well before I considered purchasing Sig. I love my Glock, but only after I sunk about $300 more into in sights, barrel and trigger work. So in reality it's a $700 gun to get it how I like it. Not only that, I managed to snap a frame rail on it. Glock replaced the frame free of charge, but my confidence in the little chintzy metal-tab-embedded-in-plastic design is significantly eroded. (I should note the thing fired an unknown number of rounds flawlessly with the busted rail, I didn't notice the break until i disassembled it)
Same goes for the 1911. Bought it, then replaced all the crappy MIM internals with high grade tool steel parts. The HK I spent more on initially, but all it needed was a set of Heinie Straight-8's on the HK match trigger kit.
Basically, you get what you

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Oh, we're on the same page my friend. I already have all of the above, which I bought well before I considered purchasing Sig. I love my Glock, but only after I sunk about $300 more into in sights, barrel and trigger work. So in reality it's a $700 gun to get it how I like it. Not only that, I managed to snap a frame rail on it. Glock replaced the frame free of charge, but my confidence in the little chintzy metal-tab-embedded-in-plastic design is significantly eroded. (I should note the thing fired an unknown number of rounds flawlessly with the busted rail, I didn't notice the break until i disassembled it)
Same goes for the 1911. Bought it, then replaced all the crappy MIM internals with high grade tool steel parts. The HK I spent more on initially, but all it needed was a set of Heinie Straight-8's on the HK match trigger kit.
Basically, you get what you
What did the internals on the 1911 run you? What model did you start with? I've been debating picking up Taurus PT1911 and going the same route, they come from the factory pretty well put together but I'm not sure about the insides.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
What did the internals on the 1911 run you? What model did you start with? I've been debating picking up Taurus PT1911 and going the same route, they come from the factory pretty well put together but I'm not sure about the insides.
I started out with a Kimber Classic, pre-series II. I installed Wilson combat internals with a Cylinder and Slide Sear spring, and a STI Ti hammer strut, Wolf springs throughout.

check out 1911forum.com, or even the 1911 specific forum on glocktalk.com There's some very good info. From what little I rembember, the Taurus might not be the best starting point.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Inu
Computer Junkie

Sportbike: 02 Katana 600
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: http://www.katanaplanet.com

Send a message via AIM to Inu Send a message via Yahoo to Inu
I wonder if I should do anything to my stock Beretta 92fs. And who should I bring it to? I'd like to have the trigger worked on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode