Rod wants to get rid of Pheasant hunting - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Rod wants to get rid of Pheasant hunting

Another Sad Day In Illinois!

NRA has stated that March 14,2008 Governor Rod Blagojevich has cut the Budget of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and there will be no more Pheasant Hunting at State Game lands, In spite of the fact that the Hunters pay for the birds.

There is a State Budget meeting in Joliet March 20, 2008 at the Joliet Township West High School at 6:00 pm .401 North Larkin , Joliet IL Hosted by State Rep McGuire

Please him know how this is not right and ask why people in Chicago get Free Bus Rides at our expense. And then our programs are cut even when we as Hunters are paying for them.

Please be respectful in voicing your opinion on this matter. Its Important !!

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

yeah Ive benn following this.. heres an article that some reporter chick wrote.. She DID receive an email from me

What she fails to mention is that this program is not free or supported by the state. Hunters pay a fee to hunt these birds.

---------

Your tax dollars at work: breeding pheasants
(http://www.southtownstar.com/news/mc...queary.article)
March 16, 2008
By Kristen McQueary

Would it pain you to know the state of Illinois spends more than $1 million a year to raise pheasants?

If I was a teacher dipping into my own pocket for classroom supplies, I might be offended.

If I was a health care provider waiting 90 days for the state to reimburse my Medicaid costs, I might be offended.

If I was a sick veteran waiting for a bed to open, I might be offended.

After all, in times of barrel scraping, it is difficult to justifythe state-sponsored practice of inseminating pheasants, hatching chicks, growing them to maturity and releasing them for the sole purpose of allowing hunters to shoot them down.

But that is, in fact, one program the Illinois Department of Natural Resources handles on a seasonal basis - raising 75,000 birds each year for sport at a cost Gov. Rod Blagojevich's office estimates at $1.3 million. His Office of Management and Budget targeted the pheasant program last week as cut-worthy.

"We're in a tough fiscal situation. Growing pheasants is not one of our core priorities," budget spokeswoman Kelley Quinn said.

But, but, but. There are many "buts," one being the magical way in which government finds money under rocks and sofa cushions, even in the tightest of budgets. Dress Blagojevich in a purple smock with a sparkly wand and he makes an excellent fairy godmother. Last week, he promised to find $1 million for Pilgrim Baptist Church in Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood. Three weeks ago, he pledged $40 million to rebuild Cole Hall at Northern Illinois University.

Perhaps his next news conference will commence with a tap dance and sing-along of "Bibbity Bobbity Boo." There often is money to be found if enough voters and loud-mouthed lobbyists aid in the search.

Hunters will tell you the$1.3 million figure is inflated and that pheasant hunting fits with the Department of Natural Resources' core mission.

"Millions of dollars flow to this state because of hunters and anglers," Illinois Rifle Association lobbyist Todd Vandermyde said. "The rest of you guys get to take advantage of the state parks largely because of our fees. We're not opposed to some sort of fee increase for our activities to make sure we're covering our costs, but (the department) is supposed to foster hunting and conservation, and that shouldn't change."

Blagojevich's office recognizes the popularity of the program but would rather spend the money elsewhere.

"The General Assembly needs to look at the situation right now, which we are in with the Fiscal Year 2008 budget because of their inflated revenue projections," Quinn said. "We have a $750 million deficit. This is a program that is not making us any money."

It's also a program that makes a soft-hearted girl cringe.

At three downstate hatcheries, pheasants are mass bred. Their eggs are warmed until little chicks emerge. The chicks are transferred to a pen, where they grow and roam beneath a wide net to keep them from flying away.

And then, when their wings are finally limber and their torsos plump, they are released into a controlled park setting, only to be sniffed out by dogs and shot. Their limp bodies are scooped into a hunter's vest and then sliced and barbecued.

Maybe a few birds escape and enjoy their retirement in a wet, warm field in Iowa. One can only hope.

I know I'm being dramatic. And hypocritical. I eat McDonald's Egg McMuffins, made from mass-produced eggs and ham - and probably cheese from hormone-crazed cows in India.

Meanwhile, lawmakers who will decide the budget priorities understand the delicacy of balancing pheasant hunting against health care and schools.

They also are wary of the way in which budget cuts have been presented so far. Blagojevich's history of ruling by executive order and avoiding legislative scrutiny makes many legislators skeptical. Does he want to cut the pheasant program only to free up money for something the Legislature has rejected?

"That's going to get looked at with a level of dubiousness," said state Rep. Al Riley (D-Olympia Fields), who sits on the committee that heard testimony about the pheasant program.

Did I mention Blagojevich recruited a candidate to run against Riley in the primary? They aren't exactly buddies.

"I would hate to see a program created whose creation is built on the backs of another program that was cut," Riley added.

Yes. Indeed.

If the hunting community is willing to pay more for the privilege of enjoying their sport in a controlled, state-sponsored setting, it might make for a worthwhile compromise. After all, the state subsidizes many sports, including baseball and football, through stadium construction, tax breaks and such, and tax dollars subsidize honey bee production and fisheries, to name a few.

Me? I prefer to experience food production from afar, awash in naivete, in the drive-thru lane.

Kristen McQueary covers government and politics for the SouthtownStar. She can be reached at (708) 633-5972 or [email protected].

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=2weelpilot;1046282]Me? I prefer to experience food production from afar, awash in naivete, in the drive-thru lane.[QUOTE]

Denile is not just another river in egypt. In the words of uncle Ted Nugent "it is so easy to deny the truth that a living animal was put threw the most hainus practice of proccessing to make your lunch threw the drive threw so conveinent."

If it wern't for hunters paying for licenceing there would be no parks no conservation or in the case of IL no animals pieriod because developers would cement the whole freekin state.

whats even more of a crock is you need a licence to hunt on a game farm in IL. a licence to hunt birds on a controlled private farm for that purpose for birds that YOU technicaly own because you bought them. If you bought them and just buchered them would you still need a licence?

don't mind my rant I just hate when people who have no idea of the facts spill raw sewage from there yap.

Get your hands bloody our become a vegitarian.

Veg.it.ari.on = navaho word meaning piss poor hunter
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Private hunt clubs FTW!

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode