Rugerís New .22 Rimfire SR-22 Rifle - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Only TWO cams now...

Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com

Rugerís New .22 Rimfire SR-22 Rifle

FYI...

Ruger’s New .22 Rimfire SR-22 Rifle

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22.htm

The most popular .22 semi-automatic rifle in the World is the Ruger 10/22. It has been in constant production for over forty years now, and is more popular than ever, with several million of them in the possession of shooters. These days, the hottest-selling centerfire rifle in the US is the AR-15, in its many variations. Ruger now has their own AR rifle, the SR-556, just introduced a few months ago, and it has proven to be a very popular seller, with its high-quality features and unique gas piston design.

Now, Ruger has blended the style and handling of an AR with the proven reliability of the legendary 10/22 into the new SR-22 Rifle. Inside, the rifle is pure 10/22, but the exterior is a Nordic Components chassis, modified to meet Ruger’s specifications. The result is an AR-looking, AR-feeling rifle that shoots like a 10/22, and uses standard 10/22 Ruger or aftermarket magazines. As mentioned, mechanically, the SR-22 Rifle is a 10/22, and can utilize 10/22 aftermarket barrels and trigger groups, if desired. The hand guard is a tubular aluminum unit, drilled for accessory rails, and any AR-15 style hand guard can be used. The buttstock is also an AR unit, adjustable for length at six positions over a three and one-quarter inch range, and again, any AR buttstock can be attached to the SR-22 rifle. The top of the chassis wears a Picatinny rail, and the rifle is shipped without sights. Additional sections of Picatinny rail can be purchased at ShopRuger.com, and aperture or open sights can be added, if desired. Most shooters will want some type of optical sight, and there are many good ones from which to choose on the market, from dot style electronics to traditional scopes. The SR-22 rifle is supplied with sling attachment points, and has a very comfortable AR-style pistol grip. Between the pistol grip and trigger guard is a filler built by Hogue. Being a 10/22 inside, the rifle has a crossbolt safety, and a manual bolt hold-open at the front of the trigger guard.

The SR-22 has a steel hammer-forged barrel that measures 16.12 inches in length and three-quarters of an inch in diameter. The barrel has a one-in-sixteen inch right-hand twist. Inside the tubular hand guard is a barrel support block, held in by the front sling swivel stud. The rifle can be fired with or without the block, so lightweight aftermarket barrels can be used, if desired. The barrel is attached to the receiver with a V-block, like on all 10/22 rifles, so any barrel that is made to fit a 10/22 will slide right in. The barrel is fitted with an AC-556 flash suppressor, as mentioned above, which has a standard 1/2x28 thread, allowing the attachment of sound suppressors or other devices to the muzzle, if desired.

The chassis fits around and fully encloses a 10/22 receiver, but adds only about one-quarter inch to the width of the rifle. The chassis width measures only one and one-half inches thick. The rifle weighs in at six and one-half pounds, with an overall length of between 32.75 and 36 inches. Ruger’s website list the overall length as between 32.25 and 35.25 inches, but that discrepancy could be due to the attachment of the buttstock tube, allowing for a variance. Length of pull varies between 10.125 and 13.375 inches on the test rifle, allowing the SR-22 rifle to fit most any shooter well; because of this, the SR-22 would make for an excellent trainer for a young shooter, and could grow with the shooter. A rifle with a wooden buttstock just doesn’t offer that kind of versatility.

The chassis of the SR-22 Rifle is made of aluminum, finished with a matte black military style exterior. It has top and bottom halves, and is easy to remove to get to the 10/22 receiver, if necessary. The pistol grip is attached in typical AR fashion with a bolt through the hollow bottom.

Surprised it took them this long. Old man Ruger would never have allowed this.

Just checked.....MSRP is 625.00. Huh?

http://www.ruger.com/SR22/specs.html

Looks like the boy is getting a nice bolt action .22 or .17 instead.

"Fear only two: G-d, and him who fears not G-d."
-Judah Leib Lazerov

"Tov lamut be'ad artzaynu." (It is good to die for our country)
-Joseph Trumpeldor

Last edited by 4Cammer; 09-21-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
interesting

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

$625? meh

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
$625? meh
seriously??? F that!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

That is the listed retail on it. I ass-u-me since it is new they are going to get close to retail.

For that price, you should be able to pick up a tuned 10-22 tack driver especially if you go used.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I cant see spending more than 200 on a 22, just not worth it. especially with some of these prices approaching AR price range.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
That is the listed retail on it. I ass-u-me since it is new they are going to get close to retail.

For that price, you should be able to pick up a tuned 10-22 tack driver especially if you go used.
no kidding, look at mine in the gun forum. now thats a tack driver 22.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Exactly what I was thinking of, I would go buy yours before I go buy a stock 10-22 at that price. All that VQ shit is where it's at for accuarcy. you'd still have to add that to this AR look-a-like.

- Ronald Reagan

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
That's what I mean. $650 for a .22 AR toy with no parts or optics is a joke IMHO.

If I wasn't going through the D I might take you up on it. I've always wanted a built 10-22. It's just too rich for me right now with all the JD fees going on.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Exactly what I was thinking of, I would go buy yours before I go buy a stock 10-22 at that price. All that VQ shit is where it's at for accuarcy. you'd still have to add that to this AR look-a-like.
that helps but the receiver to barrel has a lot to do with it.
Quote:
That's what I mean. $650 for a .22 AR toy with no parts or optics is a joke IMHO.

If I wasn't going through the D I might take you up on it. I've always wanted a built 10-22. It's just too rich for me right now with all the JD fees going on.
hey i hear ya bro.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Wanna work out a monthly payment schedule?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Wanna work out a monthly payment schedule?
for you?

sure pm me if your for real.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Damn, you would say that...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:12 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Damn, you would say that...
cause i trust you.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

I know brother, I know...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode