Grandpa / Marines / Historical Weapon Information Request - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Grandpa / Marines / Historical Weapon Information Request

I'd like some help in trying to find out some info about the Marines from a half a century ago. My grandpa died when I was still in single digits and had a stroke before I even really remember being able to talk to him, but with my Grandma's passing this spring I'd really like to find out as much as I can about him so that I can some day pass along his accomplishments to my children. My Grandpa was a Marine in the Korean war and was stationed at Camp Pendleton in San Diego for a while back in 1952. I'm starting to get into finding out as much as I can about my grandpa and his involvement in the war and one of the first things that popped into my head after finding his burial flag and war medals would be to find out what kind equipment they used back then. I am just starting with my home arsenal but I would really like to get one of the same pistols he would have had, if not (however impossible it would be) the same one he as issued.

Does anyone have any access to standard issue weapons for the Marines around the 1950's time period or Korean War in general, or finding any more detailed information about him and his assignments if I gave you his name? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
You might want to see if you can track down anyone from his unit. I'm sure they would have some good stories for you.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

They were still using WWII weapons. If he was a rifleman he was probably lugging around a M1 Garand or an M1 Carbine. There were even some 1903 Springfields in use. If he was a big boy (like my dad) he might have been the squads BAR man. As a sidearm the Colt 1911A1 was the weapon of choice.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
+1 on the 1911 being the sidearm,

wwII period 1911's get pricey, id assume itd be a little less for a korean war era pistol since it wont carry the same mystique/ history but nontheless still pricey

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I'll bet it was a WWII manufactured piece that just saw service in Korea. There were more weapons WWII in stock than we would ever use in Korea.

BTW, I know where a M1 Carbine is. I have no idea about pricing at this time.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Realistically, is there any way to find issued serial numbers for weapons from that far back and/or find out what would have happened to said weapons?

Adam
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
personal diaries/letters or memoirs would likely be the first best bet

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
personal diaries/letters or memoirs would likely be the first best bet
I'll check with my mom and aunt to see if they found any of his old documentation anywhere.

Adam
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I have no idea where one would start, but it is possible to get the info from the government. One of my cousins had my grandfathers medals reissued after they were stolen by his sister after his death (from my grandmother, no less). I know they tried at the time to have his orders released, but it was all still classified. He served in WWII and they inquired in the late 90's. He must have been doing something pretty badass. He would never talk about where he was or what he did.

Hit up these people. Maybe they can find something for you.

http://www.va.gov/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
I have no idea where one would start, but it is possible to get the info from the government. One of my cousins had my grandfathers medals reissued after they were stolen by his sister after his death (from my grandmother, no less). I know they tried at the time to have his orders released, but it was all still classified. He served in WWII and they inquired in the late 90's. He must have been doing something pretty badass. He would never talk about where he was or what he did.

Hit up these people. Maybe they can find something for you.

http://www.va.gov/
I had no idea they'd actually share that kind of info. That would be amazing to find out! Did they contact through e-mail or via phone call? I would think the e-mail would take forever to hear back from them.

Now a question for everyone who's posted...
If he was issued a rifle and/or pistol back when he first got to training, would he have kept possession of said weapon after being discharged from the service or would that be something that would be returned to the Marine Corps? Trying to get an idea of where that particular gun might be - private owner somewhere or locked up in a government warehouse...

Adam
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Who knows where his issued weapons ended up. They could be quite literally anywhere in the world. The US Army has sold surplus to hundreds of armies thoughout the world.

I have no idea how they contacted or even whom they contacted.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 AM
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
might wanna try just googling his name. I typed in my grandpas name just now out of curiosity. and found a link to his divisons website in the army. had a explination of his medal recieved and bunch of old pictures of his division. Gotta love google.

Best of luck with your search

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracin1820 View Post
might wanna try just googling his name. I typed in my grandpas name just now out of curiosity. and found a link to his divisons website in the army. had a explination of his medal recieved and bunch of old pictures of his division. Gotta love google.

Best of luck with your search
I've been trying to google his name, but with his middle initial I was only getting 9 hits. Nothing too in depth, obituaries and such.

I will give googling his company or the base a try and see what I can find with that. Hopefully I can get some more detailed information about his company from some documentation my mom has and work on it from that direction. Thanks for the tip!

Adam
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
Try Military.com and put his info in there. You can also see if anyone from that company has posted anything on there. You can also try your local VFW, or you can contact our civilian network Marine Corps League: http://www.theillinoismarine.com/detachments_1-4.htm

As far as finding the serial numbers for your Grandfather's weapon(s), it's going to be very hard, but good luck with your search.

I'm sorry for your loss, and for the loss of a fellow brother, Semper Fidellis.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode