Holy crap plinkers are fun! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Holy crap plinkers are fun!

Well I just picked up my Browning Buckmark Hunter and got back from the range. i have to say I wasn't too excited getting this gun. I thought it was a nice gun, but it's a .22, nothing to get excited about. Just figured it would be nice to make my trips to the range last a little longer and save me some money on 9mm ammo.

Well after I picked up the gun I bought 100 rounds of 9mm ($32) and 550 rounds of feral bulk .22LR ($19.99). I stayed at the range for about 2 hours and what can I say....THIS GUN IS AWESOME!!!!

It's more fun than the 9mm. I must have shot about 300 rounds and only had 2 duds, no jams. After I sited it in, it was accurate and fun to shoot. I'm way more excited about this gun now and I have to say it's a must have for everyone that likes the range. I just can't get over that the 300 rounds only cost me about $10. That would have cost about $100 if I was just shooting my 9mm. This gun is going to see a lot of action.

I also love the grips. I was thinking about swapping them out during my waiting period, but after seeing them again and using them they are staying the way they are.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Heh, the Buckmark's a great little piece!

Aren't guns great?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Me thinks that boat is history. Long live firearms!!!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Me thinks that boat is history. Long live firearms!!!
Or I can just shoot things while on the boat lol.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Wait till you get good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Wait till you get good
doubt that will happen.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

If you think the pistols are fun, try a 22 rifle. Glad to see that you are enjoying your new past time.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
If you think the pistols are fun, try a 22 rifle. Glad to see that you are enjoying your new past time.
I grew up with .22 riffled. I could see getting amother like a ruger 10/22

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I told you you would like those grips, they rock!

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

IMO, a good .22 is the best range pistol available. Period. I love .22 pistols and rifles.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
BTW unless you are going to mod it out, I think 10/22s are over rated and not worth the $. I've had several .22 rifles that shot rings around stock 10/22s.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:46 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

If the whole caliber thing is ok with your ego.

You should try a fine air gun.They will help you improve trigger control and breathing.These guns can pay for their high buy in cost with low ammo expence within a few boxes.

Many of these air riffles and pistols are hand made and come with an unlimited lifetime warrenty.
These guns have triggers that are works of art while having valocities that repeat within a range many firearms can only dream of.

All the while safely shoting in your basement.

The more powerful guns will burn their way threw a phone book that's in a box and then the fence and threw the neighbors garage.

True story: Once while training for a field competition I spent many hours shoting at said box ,after many rounds placed in the space of a sq " I noticed day light threw my scope After about a dozen more shots I realized that light must be threw the neighbors garage.

Never shot in that direction again.Luckily they soon moved and when the new neighbor came over to say hello.He mentioned the funny holes in his garage I told him the P/O kid like to make spairs.

Any way that's my plinker story.

Happy holidays

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

I bought a Ruger .177 air rifle on Black Friday just for that reason. Been spending the basement when bored

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Try the glow targets Or even a dozen tacks on the side of a box.

I once shot a whole box of 20cal in one sitting while trying to shot a smilely face on the side of a box.

Given enough practice a well placed shot makes a gun like an RWS-52 in 22cal.Pretty darn fair hunting iron.

It's almost like cheating though when hunting squerel.The fact that there is little to no report from the shot fired,the serviving squerels don't think much of it.

Rabbits in the winter lets just say I'd bet my Air gun. Can produce as good a harvest as any gun made.

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

I had so much damn fun plinking in HS with a Ruger and Marlin .22

They're a gas.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Just a quick buffer on air pistols.

1) The law. In illinois any airgun that shoots a projectile above .177 caliber or in excess of 700fps is considered a FIREARM and thus requires a foid card. This law is lax but is still law so be careful.

2) Velocity: rimfire velocity consistancy is dependant on ammunition. To say "having valocities that repeat within a range many firearms can only dream of." is a misleading statement as the firearm has very little to do with it. Ammunition quality is the ighest factor in velocity consistancy. A $20 box of .22lr ammo will meter within 5fps of each shot. Also, over time any "pump" action air gun will have weakend seals wich will cause either a decrease in over all velocity or n consisntant velocity. CO2 powered air gunswill see a decrease in velocity over 10 shots as the pressure of he CO2 cartridge will decrease. And finaly, high end target air guns use compressed air tanks, usualy filled at scuba shops, to get their power. While hese guns are fine pieces some have regulators in them that shut the gun down after the pressure drops below a certain level in order to maintain their velocities.

3) Diffrences: BB vs. Pellet--
BB guns are inacurate by target standards as they are nothing more than a smooth bore firing projectiles that are mass produced, ususlay never cosistant in diameter and leave air gaps in the barel wich pressure escapes from thus leaving inconsistant velocities. Pellet guns are generaly rifled barrels with pellets a hair oversized that actualy grab the lans and groves as they are fired and spin in the same manner as a traditional firearm. They have a hollow circular base that tapers to the diameter of the barrel and leave a nice round hole helpful in scoring of matches. Pellets general make an air tight seal of the barrel and aid in consistant velocities. Pellets can ome in many forms. Round head, flat head and point just to name a few. Each one designed for a specific purpose. Also as of late, pellets have also been made of alloy vs. lead in order to decrease weight and increase velocity.

4) Triggers: while both are mechanical, hough some of the highest end airguns are electronic, they do very diffrent things. In an air gun the trigger is designed to open a valve hat releases an imidiate blast of a precompressed charge of air. A gun trigger pushes on a sear, which is pushed against a hammer by pressure thus creating an entirely diffrent feel. Although the amount of pressure needed to begin the firing process may be similar the actual feel is night and day. Also, most firearms have a pull weight between 4-7lbs. Airguns come in under 4lbs and some go down into single digit oz.

5) Projectiles, weight, recoil and muzzle blast:

weight: pellets range from 17gr to about 30, the alloy stuff is ligter than 17gr.
.22lr starts at 38gr and goes up to as high as 60gr. Pellet gun accuracy maxes out at about 10 meters as wind begins to play havoc on the light projectiles. Standard velocity match grade .22 ammo is rated at 75feet. the distance most NRA matches are held.
Recoil: Piston driven air guns have a straight push that is fely, compressed gas generaly has little to none. Firearms will have a varing dgree but much more notcable than any airgun. For a firearm he amount of recoil will be dependent on projectile weight, velocity and weight of firearm. These factors are the same for airguns.

Muzzle blast: Due to compression sometimes air guns may have a tiny bit of condensation or "air blast" that protruds fom the muzzle, rimfire guns have hot expanding gas and fire coming out of them. The later of the 2 can hinder rapid follow up shots as the smoke and fire may need to clear.

Muzzle flip: Airguns have little if no noticable muzzle flip. Rimfires will have some type of noticable muzzle flip at the end of the barrel as the projectile leaves. this again is dependant on velocity and weight.

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Weapons Tech Guru

6) Useful tools: While air guns are NOT a replacement for actual firing of firearms there are a few things they will help.

-- Proper sight aligmnet techniques. This will translate into firearms. Sight alignment in accordance to trigger break will translate over.

-- breathing techniques. seeing how diffrent breathing styles while shooting effectsacuracy

-- gun handling. as a training aid for breaking young children or anyone scared of load bangs, muzzle flash and recoil, into the shooting sports.igh as $30

-- Lower cost. Notice how I didnt say LOW cost. depening on how you get into it an airgun can be had for as low as $50 and as high as $3000. A tin of pellets/bb's as low as $3.00 and as high as $30. So as always get what sites your needs.

7) safety. as with any gun a proper backstop is a must. This is the end users responsabilty. A proper backstop must not only keep everyone's physical health in mind but also property as well.

In conclusion:

While an airgun is a fine tool for hours of enjoyment and some useful undersanding of fundamental shooting skills it in no way replaces the actual use and training with a firearm. Understand that if you master an air gun it doesnt automaicaly make you a firearm master. The fundamentals learned with an air gun need to be applied to a firearm and then the shooter has to make corrections for variables not there in airgunning such as increased recoil, muzzle flip, muzzle blast, diffrences in mehanics and weight.

My post in no way is meant to discourage anone from airguns but simply to make them aware of the pros and cons.

Safe shooting

Last edited by Ofc. Ponch; 12-08-2009 at 11:28 AM.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Yes sir that sounds right right on the money.Thanks for the good info.

I might add that spring guns are heavy and need a firm grip.

Another concern will be in a triger that is this light. caution must be observed when closing some rifles as that can be enough to fire round.

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Just last weekend I introduce our kids to the fun to be had with our pellet/BB gun. The huge smiles they had, the first time hitting the jugs of water we used as targets was priceless.

My daughter was very hesitant at first, was a crack shot at the end. Neither can wait for the next outing.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

So, I've been considering an inexpensive, though very accurate air rifle for in house practicing into a metal trap. Is there something under $200 that would give me the same practice accuracy as my Ruger 10/22?

Basically I want to practice indoors all winter so I don't have to start from scratch come spring. And I don't want to be frustrated with the air rifle being inaccurate.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Weapons Tech Guru

Finished, please go to post 17 for conclusion

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

You missed Ruger Air Hawks at Sports Athority on Black Friday for $79.99. Plenty good for basement shooting.

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Weapons Tech Guru

Look at the PELLET only guns in teh GAMO line

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Weapons Tech Guru

The Ruger stuff isnt made by Ruger. it's made by UMAREX of Germany. A good mfg of air guns who coincidentaly makes, under license, the COLT M4 .22lr.

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofc. Ponch View Post
The Ruger stuff isnt made by Ruger. it's made by UMAREX of Germany. A good mfg of air guns who coincidentaly makes, under license, the COLT M4 .22lr.
thx H, didn't know that. It sure didn't look like a Ruger. Shoots fine after being sighted in. The irons were way off. I don't like the scope mount as it's a clamp on. I might consider having the receiver drilled, but for an $80 pellet gun to shoot in the basement it seems like overkill. Not wild about the scope either, but see above.

I like Gamos, but they were starting at $200.

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
take a look at this one before you go with the 10/22

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ht=savage+arms

Adam
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy4dsm View Post
take a look at this one before you go with the 10/22

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ht=savage+arms
I saw that...nice...you should sell it to me cheap

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Marlin Model 60 semi-auto

Super cheap... and real good.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -

Last edited by OldSkoolMC; 12-17-2009 at 04:16 PM.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Couple years ago we were shooting .22 incendiary out of my buddies suppressed little ruger at night it was pretty cool.

suppressed .22 is really quiet so all you'd here was a thoot thoot noise followed by a decently loud pop and a little flash down range

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__23/In...mmunition.html
grab a few and mix it in next time you go to the range with someone.. don't tell them.. then deny you saw anything strange when they fired it.. it'll drive em nuts
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

$22 for a pack of ten...i'll pass when you can get 550 for $15.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode