Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Looking for a Mountain Bike

4K views 67 replies 26 participants last post by  Kiecker 
#1 ·
Well Krystal and I went looking today for a set of "Beginners" Mountain bikes. I'm not gonna be jumping shit or any hardcore stuff like alot of the people on the board. We are looking into trail riding with a little to moderate amount of off road riding.

The place we stopped in at here in Joliet recommended GIANT. The guy says he's got 10+ yrs worth of riding and fixing of bike.

We are looking in the $300-$450 Range. The guy likes the Giants over the Trek because you get more for your money and GIANT makes some of Treks frames anyways.

What does everyone think of GIANT? Now remember we are beginners not hardcore experts :D

The 2 bikes I am looking at are:

GIANT Rincon

OR

GIANT Yukon

So let me have it. ;)

P.S. Also if you know of any other places that sell GIANT please let us know.

See less See more
#9 ·
Good to see you getting a mtb, bro. I took mine out to the trails for the first time yesterday. Grasshopper and I went to Palos. It was f*cking awesome. We'll go riding when you and Krys get bikes.

Hey, I had a thread a few weeks ago about buying a bike and there are a couple of board members with really good bikes for sale in your price range. Do a search and you'll find it.

#11 ·
CHeYeNNe said:
Yea I read that, but we wanna just buy new ;)

I can understand that. I ended up buying new, as well.

I bought this one:

With Manitou front suspension, Hayes disc brakes, and WTB rims and tires, this hardtail mountain bike is the real deal.
-Manitou Trace Comp front shock features convertible travel, hydraulic damping and a Manitou RA casting for ultimate stiffness without extra weight
-Hayes MX2 disc brakes provide reliable off-road stopping power
-Upgraded, bomber 6061-series aluminum frame will take you to the limit and beyond
-Truvativ LE riserbar and stem offers comfortable positioning for off-road terrain
-Streamlined and responsive Alivio Rapidfire 8-speed shifters deliver excellent on-the-fly performance
-Designed to prowl the backcountry, WTB Weirwolf tires have fast-rolling center knobs for efficiency and razor-like cornering knobs to grab the trail
-WTB Speed V Saddle for a soft and comfortable ride
-Shimano Clip-less pedals with adjustable tension

#12 ·
The Yukon looks to be a good bike.

Something to consider...No matter how much you think you won't be going "Hardcore", entry level bikes break at a point much lower than that. You'll be suprised at how easily just mileage wears into a bikes life.

#14 ·
Vcook said:
giant makes nice bikes. why not just give tony a hundo for his old trek and see if you like it before you drop a bunch of cash on a new one?
Too late its sold. Its now in EMR hands.

#16 · (Edited)
#20 ·
jimzx9r said:
Huffy is made by 10 year old kids in china that get 10 cents for each bike they build in a day.
:laughing
They get a spoon of rice for each bike they produce.

Gary Fischer is a proven brand. Trek owns 'em. :) But like anything, you're paying for the brand name, and may not be getting as much for your money.

That having been said, I got a Trek 6000 - paid $450 for it, and beat the living crap outta it with my crappy riding skills causing me to crash a lot, and it's tip-top. :)

Getting a solid frame is the most important thing, as you can upgrade components later. That having been said, get the Wahoo. It's less expensive, has the solid frame (with lifetime warranty, like all the Fischers) and if you get into the sport, you'll be able to buy the extra goodies later.

Oh, call around bike shops and ask if they have any 2005s left over. That's how I got such a good deal on mine.

#21 ·
Shane and I got our Treks around 9/2004. We bought 2 from a bike shop in Chicago for at total of $750 out the door. End of season and all and we're pretty happy with our choices. Shane has a Trek 4500, he rides the hell outta it and I have a Trek 4100, pure putzing along in mine:laughing .

#22 · (Edited)
I took a Gary Fischer through San Fran, down to Sausalito and on through Tennessee Valley to Point Bonita and through the tunnel. Very nice bike. Agressive seating position, but very nice bike. Made easy work of the trails in Tenn. Valley. Felt great on the long straights. Not sure what model and this was back in 2000. But, you gotta get one with the rock hoppers (rock shox).

#23 ·
Slowass said:
:laughing
They get a spoon of rice for each bike they produce.

Gary Fischer is a proven brand. Trek owns 'em. :) But like anything, you're paying for the brand name, and may not be getting as much for your money.

Getting a solid frame is the most important thing, as you can upgrade components later. That having been said, get the Wahoo. It's less expensive, has the solid frame (with lifetime warranty, like all the Fischers) and if you get into the sport, you'll be able to buy the extra goodies later.
The Wahoo and Piranha have the same frames, but with the Piranha the forks are better and also the shiters/derailers etc for the extra $100 plus a few odds and ends here n there.

I think we are gonna end up going with the Fisher Piranha, but gonna wait until the bike show coming this weekend. ;)

#25 · (Edited)
We went to Bicycle Etc. and the place was great. We delt with a guy by the name of Fred and he was VERY informative. They actually stayed after hrs to inform us of the ins and outs of mountain biking. The differences in frames, brakes,forks etc.

We looked at the Trek 4300 & 4500(which is comparable to the Piranha) Fisher Wahoo & Piranha and also the Schwinn something :D

Unless we find some other bike of interest we will be going back here for the product and services. They deal with TREK,FISHER,Schwinn and forget what else.

If anyone is interested in MB, try hitting this place up they are great!!! :thumbsup

They are on College Rd just North of 75th st.

#26 ·
As Paulette posted, I have the 4500 and am very happy with it. I usually use it to ride with Brie around the dirt track on Joliet Rd & Internationale Pkwy, and have not had a problem with it. Ours came w/out kickstands so we have to get them and have them put on still; something we discovered too late, so make sure if you want them that they put them on for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.