Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Generator Thoughts?

845 views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Wink 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have to stop borrowing Kruz's generator... so I guess I need to buy a generator (even though he doesn't have a bike yet!)

The big question is of course whether to go high-end high-dollar low wattage and get the ultimate generator, the Honda eu2000i, super quiet generator and be a good track neighbor...

OR

to get a super cheap, super loud high wattage generator at a lower price at PepBoys, WalMart, Sears, CostCo, etc...

Any words of wisdom from those of you who use tire warmers at the track?

#3 ·
They pull 1250 to 1500 and are the main draw. I suppose air compressor from time to time.

The thought is perhaps to eventually get two EU2000i's and use a parallel cable to sync them, and then do two warmers plus, or do one AC unit at night. 4000 is more than enough to handle that, and the 2000s are quiet enough to sleep next to.

#6 ·
Wink said:
The big question is of course whether to go high-end high-dollar low wattage and get the ultimate generator, the Honda eu2000i, super quiet generator and be a good track neighbor...

OR

to get a super cheap, super loud high wattage generator at a lower price at PepBoys, WalMart, Sears, CostCo, etc...

Any words of wisdom from those of you who use tire warmers at the track?
I split the differnce and went with the encased Coleman...not as quiet as the Honda but half as loud as the cheapos.

#7 ·
the line up

I am in the same quandry with regards to power. I had mentioned to Wink that the guys at AF1 racing recomended the EX4500 or if you had the extra
$ the twin cylinder liquid cooled EX5500. The small inverters look nice and are very quiet but these bigger units cost less than a set of inverters, and have comercial engines. I have been out weekends in other sports where the generator starts friday PM and does not shut off until the loadout on sunday afternoon. My concern is that continuous duty is a lot to ask of non comercial units. I burned through a few generators my younger crappy construction job days.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp

I have a 6000w 180amp miller but I don't think it would be nice to listen to it all day, let alone night time.

These are sweet but the $$$$ go up very fast. http://www.onan.com/onan/rvgenerators/generatorHome.jsp

#10 ·
Ok, based on feedback from a few people that bought cheap generators and had problems with them, I shopped and bought the Honda EU2000i. Certainly the top rated, and the quietest of its kind. Not the cheapest, but it will work great.

Planning on getting another one later in the year, adding the parallel cable, and having a redundant system with twice the wattage.

So, it is a racetrack, and I will be the quiet one. Also bought the extended gas can accessory so that it can run 21-24 hours non-stop, or 12 hours with 2 units running. This makes it ideal for running the AC unit in the trailer overnight without keeping everyone awake.

#11 ·
Wink said:
Ok, based on feedback from a few people that bought cheap generators and had problems with them, I shopped and bought the Honda EU2000i. Certainly the top rated, and the quietest of its kind. Not the cheapest, but it will work great.

Planning on getting another one later in the year, adding the parallel cable, and having a redundant system with twice the wattage.

So, it is a racetrack, and I will be the quiet one. Also bought the extended gas can accessory so that it can run 21-24 hours non-stop, or 12 hours with 2 units running. This makes it ideal for running the AC unit in the trailer overnight without keeping everyone awake.

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing OH i am SOO gonna mess with you if you pit 100 feet from me anywhere. i bet you already know where i am gonna put my noisy beast:laughing :laughing :laughing

#14 ·
quiet

I'll be off in a corner of the paddock, far away from Ken and Wink. That way I can enjoy the quiet, cool comfort of my own overpriced box on wheels. :jester

Come on over and we can watch the Ken and Wink show from a safe distance. Where is one of those popcorn smiles? Which reminds me, we still "need" to get a new microwave for the trailer.

#15 ·
Got the microwave and the fridge.

I was thinking KEGS though...

#18 ·
and don't forget my magic fingers bed!

2000 watts is for my tire warmers, not much else. In order to do anything else, I need the second 2000 watt generator in parallel. Now the microwave... that'll just ruin everything.

#20 ·
just go buy the biggest beast you can find and bolt it to the front frame rails on the trailer. you can never have too much power. How the heck are you gonna run the 6 plasma's and disco ball in that trailer without one?

#21 ·
Now who the heck was it that wanted that brass pole in the trailer?

#24 ·
#25 ·
You are such a good citizen and neighbor.

I bought a cheapo 3,500 watt earlier this year on sale from Menard's for $260. It isn't exactly whisper quiet (not even close), but it gets the job done.

It already saved well over $2g of fish, corals and the contents of the fridge this year when we lost power for 20 hours in 90+ degree weather.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.