Eggs - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Eggs

Hey Doc,

So what's the scoop on eggs and egg yolk? I am hearing conflicting reports that eating the egg with the yolks is bad for you as it is high in cholesterol. Then I am hearing that it is NOT and that you should eat the yolk since most of the protein is in the yolk.

Can you shed some light on this?

Sincerely,
Dude who likes eggs

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Eggs are good for you. Gaston eats like 5 dozen eggs a day and he's healthy as a horse.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore

firstly...do i get paid for this consult?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaeric View Post
firstly...do i get paid for this consult?
What will it cost me?

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

so, yep the yolk has the cholesterol in it and the white does not. protein is in the white part. the american heart association recommends a limit of 300 mg of cholesterol daily and a single egg has 200 mg in it. BUT studies have disagreed whether or not cholesterol intake is a major risk factor for heart disease. one study saw a relative risk increase of 1.3 but others have not found this to be true. the real danger is saturated fat and trans fat intake. the recommendation is to keep saturated fats to less than 7% of total calories a day (about 30 grams of saturated fat) and trans fats should be zero. a single egg yolk only has 1.5 grams of saturated fat in it so an average of a single egg a day should be fine but egg yolk free dishes would be slightly healthier.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
rocky says it's ok.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
so, yep the yolk has the cholesterol in it and the white does not. protein is in the white part. the american heart association recommends a limit of 300 mg of cholesterol daily and a single egg has 200 mg in it. BUT studies have disagreed whether or not cholesterol intake is a major risk factor for heart disease. one study saw a relative risk increase of 1.3 but others have not found this to be true. the real danger is saturated fat and trans fat intake. the recommendation is to keep saturated fats to less than 7% of total calories a day (about 30 grams of saturated fat) and trans fats should be zero. a single egg yolk only has 1.5 grams of saturated fat in it so an average of a single egg a day should be fine but egg yolk free dishes would be slightly healthier.
I see. I eat roughly 12 eggs a week. So what you're saying is that can't be good and should cut down to 1 a day.

Here is an article saying that its not so bad.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/re...olesterol-eggs

Thanks for the response.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:

Last edited by ENutz; 02-23-2010 at 04:51 PM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
good reply doc. you get a rep

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

this is from JAMA (the journal of the american medical association) A prospective study of egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women.
Hu FB; Stampfer MJ; Rimm EB; Manson JE; Ascherio A; Colditz GA; Rosner BA; Spiegelman D; Speizer FE; Sacks FM; Hennekens CH; Willett WC
JAMA 1999 Apr 21;281(15):1387-94.

RESULTS: We documented 866 incident cases of CHD (coronary heart disease) and 258 incident cases of stroke in men during 8 years of follow-up and 939 incident cases of CHD and 563 incident cases of stroke in women during 14 years of follow-up. After adjustment for age, smoking, and other potential CHD risk factors, we found no evidence of an overall significant association between egg consumption and risk of CHD or stroke in either men or women. The relative risks (RRs) of CHD across categories of intake were less than 1 per week (1.0), 1 per week (1.06), 2 to 4 per week (1.12), 5 to 6 per week (0.90), and>or =1 per day (1.08) (P for trend = .75) for men; and less than 1 per week (1.0), 1 per week (0.82), 2 to 4 per week (0.99), 5 to 6 per week (0.95), and>or =1 per day (0.82) (P for trend = .95) for women. In subgroup analyses, higher egg consumption appeared to be associated with increased risk of CHD only among diabetic subjects (RR of CHD comparing more than 1 egg per day with less than 1 egg per week among diabetic men, 2.02 [95% confidence interval, 1.05-3.87; P for trend = .04], and among diabetic women, 1.49 [0.88-2.52; P for trend = .008]).

CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that consumption of up to 1 egg per day is unlikely to have substantial overall impact on the risk of CHD or stroke among healthy men and women. The apparent increased risk of CHD associated with higher egg consumption among diabetic participants warrants further research.

so basically it says that except in diabetics they did not see a trend for an increase in heart disease or strokes with increasing whole egg consumption. however, since there are studies that have shown an increase in blood cholesterol with an increase in dietary cholesterol consumption, i think the wisest thing to do is to have your cholesterol checked on your current consumption and if is normal then dont worry about and just keep an eye on your cholesterol serially.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
this is from JAMA (the journal of the american medical association) A prospective study of egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women.
Hu FB; Stampfer MJ; Rimm EB; Manson JE; Ascherio A; Colditz GA; Rosner BA; Spiegelman D; Speizer FE; Sacks FM; Hennekens CH; Willett WC
JAMA 1999 Apr 21;281(15):1387-94.

RESULTS: We documented 866 incident cases of CHD (coronary heart disease) and 258 incident cases of stroke in men during 8 years of follow-up and 939 incident cases of CHD and 563 incident cases of stroke in women during 14 years of follow-up. After adjustment for age, smoking, and other potential CHD risk factors, we found no evidence of an overall significant association between egg consumption and risk of CHD or stroke in either men or women. The relative risks (RRs) of CHD across categories of intake were less than 1 per week (1.0), 1 per week (1.06), 2 to 4 per week (1.12), 5 to 6 per week (0.90), and>or =1 per day (1.08) (P for trend = .75) for men; and less than 1 per week (1.0), 1 per week (0.82), 2 to 4 per week (0.99), 5 to 6 per week (0.95), and>or =1 per day (0.82) (P for trend = .95) for women. In subgroup analyses, higher egg consumption appeared to be associated with increased risk of CHD only among diabetic subjects (RR of CHD comparing more than 1 egg per day with less than 1 egg per week among diabetic men, 2.02 [95% confidence interval, 1.05-3.87; P for trend = .04], and among diabetic women, 1.49 [0.88-2.52; P for trend = .008]).

CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that consumption of up to 1 egg per day is unlikely to have substantial overall impact on the risk of CHD or stroke among healthy men and women. The apparent increased risk of CHD associated with higher egg consumption among diabetic participants warrants further research.

so basically it says that except in diabetics they did not see a trend for an increase in heart disease or strokes with increasing whole egg consumption. however, since there are studies that have shown an increase in blood cholesterol with an increase in dietary cholesterol consumption, i think the wisest thing to do is to have your cholesterol checked on your current consumption and if is normal then dont worry about and just keep an eye on your cholesterol serially.
Thanks again sir.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM

just eat scrambled eggs instead. I think it cancels out the cholesterol in the yoke.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

I used to eat many whole eggs a day, mostly hard boiled and omelets. At the time my cholesterol was too low according to my doctor (HDL was too low).

If you toss the yolk out you are wasting an excellent source of nutrition. Eat the whole thing.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
just eat scrambled eggs instead. I think it cancels out the cholesterol in the yoke.
you're too much chunk! i would love to cat scan your scrambled brain sometime!
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

I am about to eat 3 hard boilded eggs right this minute. Yum.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Only if you scramble them counterclockwise. Clockwise will double the cholesterol which is what I do.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

dont eat the egg, wait until the baby is born and eat the placenta. nomz!

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

whatever study may be done on any food whether it be eggs or chickpeas, it is certain that there will be another study done that will contradict it....

so take every study u hear with a grain of salt...

common sense says that if u eat a dozen donuts and fries every day washed down with milkshakes then u will be less healthy than say someone that eats grilled chicken, lettuce, purified glacial water....

but that does not mean u will live any longer...

u could have the best diet in the world and die suddenly from many diseases

i may be wrong...but i dont think that eating two eggs a day vs one will kill u any sooner..

i like eggs...im not afraid of them

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
don't throw out good food.

Chris
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

protein is bad too. don't work out and just smoke a lot of weed instead.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:35 AM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
whatever study may be done on any food whether it be eggs or chickpeas, it is certain that there will be another study done that will contradict it....

common sense says that if u eat a dozen donuts and fries every day washed down with milkshakes then u will be less healthy than say someone that eats grilled chicken, lettuce, purified glacial water....

but that does not mean u will live any longer...

u could have the best diet in the world and die suddenly from many diseases

i may be wrong...but i dont think that eating two eggs a day vs one will kill u any sooner..

i like eggs...im not afraid of them
yep. studies all have to be funded by someone and this introduces inherent bias be it a drug company researching their OWN drug or an industry concern. moderation is the wisest approach and i agree 2 eggs a day (unless you have high cholesterol or diabetes) isnt going to kill anyone.

JAMA Apologizes for Cattlemen Tainted 'Science'

For OpEdNews: Martha Rosenberg - Writer

Would a medical journal publish an article pushing for a higher Recommended Dietary Allowance of protein from an author whose email used to be [email protected]?

JAMA did in its June 25 issue last year in an article titled The Recommended Dietary Allowance of Protein: A Misunderstood Concept.

In its Oct. 15 issue it had to print a correction stating that author Sharon L. Miller was "formerly employed by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association" and author Robert R. Wolfe received money from the Egg Nutrition Center, National Dairy Council, National Pork Board and Beef Checkoff through the National Cattlemen'sBeef Association.

Oops.

Both Cattlemen flack Miller and Robert R. Wolfe, Professor of Geriatrics at the Donald W. Reynolds Department of Geriatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, have a paper trial of junk food science articles funded by Big Food.

The dairy industry funded their, Protein Metabolism in Response to Ingestion Pattern and Composition of Proteins, (J Nutr 2002) Miller's, New Frontiers in Weight Management (J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Apr), her Dietary Calcium And Dairy Modulation Of Adiposity And Obesity Risk (Nutr Rev. 2004 Apr) and probably--just guessing--Wolfe's Milk Ingestion Stimulates Net Muscle Protein Synthesis Following Resistance Exercise (Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Apr).

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association funded Wolfe's Dietary Protein Intake Impacts Human Skeletal Muscle Protein Fractional Synthetic Rates After Endurance Exercise (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Oct) and the Danish Meat Association and the Danish Dairy Board sponsored his talk at the 9th Nordic Nutrition conference in Copenhagen in June 2008.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
werd!

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Will

Sportbike: 2009 R6 Raven
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Search Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post

*snip*
Salt is bad for you!
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
I only eat the whites and use the yolk as a masterbatory lube.

teets
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
i thought you were talking about this guy...

cause i figured you were gay.

(for those that don't know, its "Eggs" from HBO's 'True Blood')

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
i thought you were talking about this guy...

cause i figured you were gay.

Who's the gay guy? The dude who posted a question about eggs? Or the dude who posted a photo of a shirtless black guy?

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Who's the gay guy? The dude who posted a question about eggs? Or the dude who posted a photo of a shirtless black guy?
the gay one is likely the one who is wanking it to the shirtless black guy.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
+1

i heard that smoking actually 'artificially' lowers your cholesterol... something to think about.

visor down
nesba #608
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
sucks when you are reading a thread at work about eggs...

you scroll down as some people are walking by and they see a nekked black dude on my monitor! LOL
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Mopar, your mancard has been revoked!
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:
you're too much chunk! i would love to cat scan your scrambled brain sometime!
If your giving out free cat scans I want one. I can't remember the last one I had several years ago. Long story.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode