6 Ways to Develop Fast Transitions - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

6 Ways to Develop Fast Transitions

International Triathlon Union elite racers--racing at the Olympic distance of a 1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run--post some of the fastest transition times on the planet.

Besides trying to get into the first transition (T1) before the big pack, good swimmers in World Cup races also want to be first across a designated prime line, which pays out additional prize money as an added incentive to go fast.

Once in T1, World Cup racers need screaming fast transitions to get on the bike--preferably in a small group--so they can work together to put time between their breakaway and the main pack.

After a multiple lap bike course, a fast second transition (T2) is critical not only to the racers in any breakaway, but to the racers in the main group as well. Seconds count, as the 10k running leg at World Cup triathlons has begun to look like an open 10k road race. Once on the run, any alliances formed on the bicycle are typically set aside for individual success.

How fast are these elite athletes going? In 2006, the fastest overall Olympic distance results were produced in Hamburg, Germany, with the men's winner going just over 1:43 and the women's winner at 1:53. In this particular race, first and second place were separated by only 11 seconds for the women and 14 seconds for the men. At a race in Ishigaki, Japan, the second place male finished only a second behind the winner.

Fast transitions are critical in all World Cup triathlons. Just a few seconds lost in transition might cost an athlete a podium position.

Like a World Cup racer, age group athletes need quick transitions to be competitive at sprint and Olympic distance racing. Here are some pro techniques you can use to make your transitions faster.

Begin practicing fast transitions now

Too often, athletes wait until the week before the race to practice transitions. That is too late. You need to practice now to execute the fastest transitions possible and have them be second nature.

One way to do this is to include transitions in your brick workouts. Also, set aside some practice time to work exclusively on faster transitions--don't worry about an aerobic workout that day.

Leave your shoes in the pedals and use rubber bands

Elite athletes leave their shoes in the pedals for the first transition (T1). After exiting the swim, they put on their helmets, grab the bike and run out of the transition area.

In order to keep the crank arms and shoes from rotating and jamming into the ground, they use thin rubber bands to hold the shoes and the crank arms parallel to the ground. They attach one end of the rubber band around the shoe or through the heel loop of the shoe, and the other end to a rear stay on the side of the bike.

Do the same with the other shoe. You will have to experiment to see which locations are best for your rubber bands depending on your shoe size and frame size.

The thin rubber bands easily break away when you mount the bike and begin pedaling with your feet on top of your shoes. Slide your feet in your shoes once you are rolling at a good pace.

Put your sunglasses on while pedaling

Instead of putting your sunglasses on in the transition area, put them on once you are rolling on the bike. If your helmet has front air vents, see if you can secure the sunglasses there.

From the front, it will look like your helmet is wearing sunglasses. If your sunglasses are not secure on your helmet, fasten them to the top of your frame with a small piece of tape.

Use a flying mount and dismount

World Cup racers are going as fast as possible at every moment during a race. They are running relatively hard when they exit T1. They mount their moving bicycle with a flying mount, which looks something like a cowboy jumping onto a galloping horse.

Before they approach the dismount line at T2, they remove both feet from their shoes and continue pedaling in a manner similar to when they began the bike leg. Near the dismount line, they swing one leg back and over the bicycle so it's behind the other leg on one side of the bicycle. At the dismount line they are off the bike and running to the transition area. This particular move is advanced and takes plenty of practice.

Use elastic laces and no socks

There are elastic laces available at most stores that stock triathlon supplies. Elastic laces allow you to easily slip your feet into your shoes, wasting no time to secure Velcro or old-style lace locks on regular laces.

Before you decide to race with no socks, do a few practice runs at home. Some athletes can run with no socks and not have a single blister. Other athletes will develop hot spots on their feet that eventually bloom into blisters.

On your test run, carry a lubricant such as Body Glide. When you feel a hot spot beginning to develop, stop and apply the lubricant to the shoe surface causing the hot spot. This is the same location you will apply the lubricant on race morning when you set up your transition area.

Use a movie camera

When you are trying to improve your transition speed, have someone record your T1 and T2 in a practice session or during a race. Use a watch and time both transitions. After reviewing for ways to improve, do the transitions repeatedly until you think you have the fastest transition time possible.

If you're a spectator at an event, tape some of the top age-group and elite racers to see how they're doing transitions. You may pick up some additional tips.

If you're looking to get the edge on your competition without additional training, take a look at your transitions. Strategizing where you can save time during transitions is fun and it may even put you on the podium.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Good info, Ken, thanks for posting it.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
Good info, Ken, thanks for posting it.
I was gonna keep these to myself, but decided against that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Sportbike: FZR400
Years Riding: 20+ minutes
How you found us: Sportbiketracktime.com

So I did my first Multi-sport racing Sunday.
It was a Doathlon, 2 mile run, 19.5 bike, 2 mile run.

The main reason I did this race, was to get transition experience.
I actually read the article CP posted a few months ago, on Active.com.

What methods I used, and what worked...
Elastic shoe laces...
Unstrapping my shoes about a mile before the transition point.

Undoing the shoes, is pretty easy to do at speed.
It feels kinda weird pedaling with loose shoes, but that is it.
The elastic laces... Those things are the "Bee's Knees".
Between those two things, I had a Bike to Run transition time of 27 seconds.

On the "to learn list", is leaving my shoes on the pedals.

-X

CCS Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus

Facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • Woodcraft • Armour Bodies • STT • F-MC
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Re: 6 Ways to Develop Fast Transitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance

I was gonna keep these to my...
I was gonna keep these to myself, but decided against that. [/QUOTE]
No worries. These aren't exactly secret tricks. Lol. They are posted all over the Internet.

I need to practice more but right now I got other things to worry about. I'm not winning anything anyhow. In my last indoor I messed up and forgot to put my racebelt with the number. Some races require these others just write them on your arm. Anyhow they sent me back to get it. That'll double your transition time quick!!

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Elastic shoe laces for running right? Interesting...

Hey Meulen, do we know if we need a race belt for our Xterra tri?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Re: 6 Ways to Develop Fast Transitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance
Elastic shoe laces for running right? Interesting...

Hey Meulen, do we know if we need a race belt for our Xterra tri?
We may not know till we get there. I'm bringing one anyhow.

Yeah on the laces. I've been using them for a while now but I'm not sure I like how they feel. I may use another pair of shoes I have without them.

This is going to be the first real outdoor tri for both of us. I'm not going to get caught up in going hard and doing everything perfect. I'm more concentrating on the learning experience. I'll worry about the speed tricks later. I'm not even going to attemp the rubber bands right now. I heard that takes some practice.

Besides, what good is a perfect transition when you exit to hit the first tree on the trail anyway! Lol

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

The bummer about leaving the shoes on the pedals is dependent on where the transition is. The bike racks were in a wooded area on dirt and grass and as I watched guys run bare foot or in socks to the mount line, I thought that must suck to get a bunch of shit stuck in your shoes.

I suppose soft ground is better than running over pavement with tiny stones in it though.

Maybe that should be part of the training too? Sprint short distances in gravel barefoot.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
MichelinWoodcraftArmour BodiesSpyder LeatherworksSTTSTG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Sportbike: FZR400
Years Riding: 20+ minutes
How you found us: Sportbiketracktime.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meulen View Post
Yeah on the laces. I've been using them for a while now but I'm not sure I like how they feel. I may use another pair of shoes I have without them.
Just my opinion on the laces...

I am not exactly crazy with how they feel either.
The benefits, however, out weight the "Feel" issue.

The #1 Benefit, they can not come untied while running.
Stopping to re-tie a shoe would be a Huge time loss.
#2 As your feet swell from running, they have more "give".
#3 Faster transition times.

-X

CCS Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus

Facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • Woodcraft • Armour Bodies • STT • F-MC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode