Snowboarders, tell me what you think. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Snowboarders, tell me what you think.

I'm a newbie boarder, Wednesday was my 2nd time ever (been skiing for a long time and decided to try something new).

I'm doing well riding on my toe-side, but when I ride on my heel-side I have trouble. My right thigh tenses up big time which causes my whole body to tense and I have trouble controlling the board.

Any advice here on what to do to stop doing that? Anyone else ever experience it?

I ride regular footed, BTW.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

At least for me, bending your legs ALWAYS helps. That's about all I got.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Yep, I'm bending my knees.

I think it might be I'm leaning back on my rear (right) leg too much because I'm nervous. Thoughts?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
DONATING MEMBER

No clue. It came pretty easy to me because of surfing and other things which were similar to steering the board from the back. On steering heel side, I just dig in on the back leg and pull with the front to make a hard carving turn.

post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

smoke weed before snowboarding. You'll be flowing and carving like a motherfucker.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

SOunds like you need to work on leg strength/endurance or smoke some weed like Chunk says.

It's likely that you are overtaxing that leg keeping it rigid in one position. Try moving it more.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Feed Me a Stray Cat

Sportbike: 2014 Honda Grom
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: Co-Worker

Send a message via AIM to Myles
What are your angles setup at? When you're first starting it helps to keep your back foot as close to 0* as possible without going too straight. You want a natural standing feel which will duck out your back foot a little bit. But the more positive of an angle you go on the back foot the easier it will be to initiate turns but in turn will be more difficult to ride switch. Just remember to keep your knees bent and weight centered. If you're having trouble keeping your knees bent add some forward lean in the highback of the binding. All your turns should be initiated with your front foot. You front foot, knee, hip and shoulder direct you and pretty much if you're weight is centered where you point your shoulder is where you should go. You DO NOT want to use your back foot as a rudder. Only when you're in deep powder do you really want to lean back. Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand setting up your board. I'd be happy to help.

Oh yeah, what board, boot binding are you riding? Or post pics of your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
smoke weed before snowboarding. You'll be flowing and carving like a motherfucker.
And this.

-Myles-
2014 Honda Grom
2000 Suzuki SV650 *SOLD*
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 1929/2000 *SOLD*
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
No clue. It came pretty easy to me because of surfing and other things which were similar to steering the board from the back. On steering heel side, I just dig in on the back leg and pull with the front to make a hard carving turn.
I've never done anything like this before, so its tricky. I'll try that next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Gonna hook a brotha up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
SOunds like you need to work on leg strength/endurance or smoke some weed like Chunk says.

It's likely that you are overtaxing that leg keeping it rigid in one position. Try moving it more.
LOL My leg strength is good, but I think you're right about needing to move it more. I think I might be tensing up too much.

I bleed GREEN
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
What are your angles setup at? When you're first starting it helps to keep your back foot as close to 0* as possible without going too straight. You want a natural standing feel which will duck out your back foot a little bit. But the more positive of an angle you go on the back foot the easier it will be to initiate turns but in turn will be more difficult to ride switch. Just remember to keep your knees bent and weight centered. If you're having trouble keeping your knees bent add some forward lean in the highback of the binding. All your turns should be initiated with your front foot. You front foot, knee, hip and shoulder direct you and pretty much if you're weight is centered where you point your shoulder is where you should go. You DO NOT want to use your back foot as a rudder. Only when you're in deep powder do you really want to lean back. Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand setting up your board. I'd be happy to help.

Oh yeah, what board, boot binding are you riding? Or post pics of your setup.

And this.
Good advice, thanks!

I have NO idea how to set up the bindings. I would appreciate some help here. This might be part of the problem. I bought the board/bindings from a dude on CL at the end of last season. It is a Capita Snowboard of Death. Yeah, watch out for me! No idea what bindings they are, but I haven't changed the dude's settings.

I bleed GREEN
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

myles is on it, binding adjustment is super important, i like to have 10 to 15 deg toe out for each foot, maybe a bit more on the front, the stance is very important(width between bindings) and the angle of the back of boot support so you can lean against it when riding heelside will take strain off your leg muscles, are your boots any good?, you need decent support or you will be compensating, are you renting or did you buy equipment? sports authority has the best closeout deals if you didnt buy yet

then smoke more pot!
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post

I think it might be I'm leaning back on my rear (right) leg too much because I'm nervous. Thoughts?
Ditto on what miles said.

Think of it this way, your legs are the shocks and should never be straight (kinda how when riding you never want to lock your arms)...Just focus on leaning forward. If you wanna go with, a few of us are heading to alpine sunday? Few new, few experienced and our very own black shawn white. (chiefbd)

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:

that's pretty common when just learning, ESP coming from skiing. Ideally you want to be like a FWD car. 60-70% on the front leg. Stand up with a slight bend in the knees. Don't need a big squat as you will naturally come down more into that position to balance yourself as you come deeper into a turn.

This changes on big powder runs that CP experienced at Vail.

Quote:

What actually helped me quite a bit was when an instructor got me transferring weight front to back, not just side to side to initiate turns.

Stand up and place more weight on the front foot (when cruising) and actually steer with the front by rotating your front hip into the turn. You would be placing weight on your big toe for toe side, and the outside heel for heel side while rotating the hips and coming more into your squat position to initiate turns. To cut harder, turn more across the hill then transfer weight to the back let and become more neutral 50/50 on the board.

Snowboards and surf boards aren't that much alike when it comes down to it. The rocker is the closest thing and even they aren't the same. The side cut radius is exactly opposite, concave vs convex, and surfboards use fins to steer vs. a snowboard using the rails. Leaning too far back on the board makes a lot of the rail unusable. And using the very front edge of the rail by the front tip is how you turn in quickly and maintain stability.

Getting to that point REALLY improved my confidence and ability to make turns. I currently ride a 181 HARD in the trees.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

i skateboarded and surfed, its nothing like snowboarding, initiating a turn on a snowboard is like nothing else, you must lead with your upper body first and then start pulling the board around, once you are on an edge then things should be ok, but the snowboard has no fin or skeg or wheels for directional stability so it dont like to go straight

then smoke some more
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

i live close to 4 lakes and as sucky as it is, at least its close and the tow ropes can be easier than dealing with the lift and here the runs are sooo patheticly short that its not worth the time and effort to use a lift
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Chills,
I can't go this weekend but how about the following? I think you need to have more weight forward, I have that probably when I attempt riding switch(which I totally suck at).

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Feed Me a Stray Cat

Quote:
Good advice, thanks!

I have NO idea how to set up the bindings. I would appreciate some help here. This might be part of the problem. I bought the board/bindings from a dude on CL at the end of last season. It is a Capita Snowboard of Death. Yeah, watch out for me! No idea what bindings they are, but I haven't changed the dude's settings.
Sounds good. You should definitely adjust the bindings. If you want some advice on that shoot me a PM. But for a start. set your bindings up with a front foot angle of 15* and your rear -3-5* so your back foot is facing the rear of the board just a little. That will give you a more natural standing stance without going to ducked out. Your front foot will be angled more aggressively as to initiate your turns.

Like Elroy said Width is also very important as well as length of the board. What's the board size vs your height and weight? Recommended width on most boards is 21 inches. I personally find that to be a little narrow and depending on your height and shoulder width I'd go a little wider. Both my boards are within a couple cm's of each other so I generally ride the same stance on both boards. 22.5 inches width measured from the center of each binding, set back about half an inch. So I'm 19 inches from the tail and 19.5-20 inches from the nose. That gives me almost a twin setup so it's nice to ride in the hardpack groomers and if I'm riding pow I still have a little more nose.

As far as binding adjustment goes. Forward lean is adjusted by a little lever/adjuster on the highback of the binding. If you're having trouble keeping your knees bent you can add some forward lean which will force your calves forward. New boots generally have enough forward lean built into them that it forces your calves forward without adjusting the bindings. Also because you're having trouble on your heels, I'd recommend "canting" your highbacks. Once you've got your stance angles where you want them. You loosen the highbacks and turn them so they are parallel with the heel side edge of the board. This will give you more support on your calves and heel side turns.

-Myles-
2014 Honda Grom
2000 Suzuki SV650 *SOLD*

Last edited by Myles; 01-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Perfect timing for the thread Chills. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Poconos, and gonna try to snowboard for the first time. Have a board I've had for almost 13 years lol Should be interesting. Any advice on easy waxing of the board?
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Good advice here. Needing to put more pressure on my front foot makes a lot of sense, I think that's why I fell the way I did, too much pressure on the back.

When I get back to the bunny hill I'll keep saying to myself "lean forward, lean forward, lean forward..." I can lean forward just fine on the toe side, just gotta get the heel side.

Mark, thanks for the offer for Sunday, but I'm going to let my arse heal up. I'm heading out west on Thursday to board.

I bleed GREEN
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
Perfect timing for the thread Chills. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Poconos, and gonna try to snowboard for the first time. Have a board I've had for almost 13 years lol Should be interesting. Any advice on easy waxing of the board?
waxing the board is easy. tuning the rails can be a pain.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Feed Me a Stray Cat

Quote:
Don't use the same iron you use for your clothes.

-Myles-
2014 Honda Grom
2000 Suzuki SV650 *SOLD*
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Don't use the same iron you use for your clothes.

Is using the iron really necessary? How about just a rub-on?

And should I try to remove the old wax layer first?
post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Ride Naked

Quote:
I'm heading out west on Thursday to board.
Take a lesson. The instructors out there are head and shoulders better than in the midwest. Worth the $$.

P.S. Where are you going?

Quote:
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
Take a lesson. The instructors out there are head and shoulders better than in the midwest. Worth the $$.
I took a lesson at Alpine Valley on Wednesday, the kid was decent and gave me some pointers. If the guys out west are that much better I'll probably take another one.

I'm heading to my home... New Mexico! Going to board at Taos, Angel Fire, and Pajarito. I grew up 15 minutes from Sandia Ski Area.

Myles, not sure how wide my board is, but it is 159cm long. It reaches just about to my mouth when standing upright. I'll start with my bindings like you suggested. I think the backs are ok, because I'm able to bend my knees pretty well. I think the back binding is set at 0 and the front one is barely angled at all.

I bleed GREEN

Last edited by Chills; 01-28-2011 at 11:53 AM.
post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Feed Me a Stray Cat

Quote:

Is using the iron really necessary? How about just a rub-on?

And should I try to remove the old wax layer first?
Real waxing requires an iron. Rub on stuff is okay but it only lasts a couple runs. Bring the board to Scandinavian Ski they'll take care of it for you cheap.

-Myles-
2014 Honda Grom
2000 Suzuki SV650 *SOLD*
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Ride Naked

Quote:
I took a lesson at Alpine Valley on Wednesday, the kid was decent and gave me some pointers. If the guys out west are that much better I'll probably take another one.

I'm heading to my home... New Mexico! Going to board at Taos, Angel Fire, and Pajarito. I grew up 15 minutes from Sandia Ski Area.
I didn't realize Taos let in snowboarders finally?

I haven't been to NM or AZ. Hear they both have some really stellar places.

Quote:
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
DONATING MEMBER

I'm hitting up Cascade on Sunday with the family if you wanna tag along. My kid is getting another snowboarding lesson from me for the first couple hours before she throws on skis.

post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

lead with your upper body, twist so your shoulders are facing the way you want to go then snap your lower body around , you can also twist the board, lift one toe and push down on the other , sometimes i need to do this but not often
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
DONATING MEMBER

I used Swix F4 wax for a quick deal out there and it worked well and lasted a couple days at least. It's still on there pretty well.

post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Feed Me a Stray Cat

Quote:

Instructors are a joke. I lived in Mammoth for two years and at the beginning of each season we'd see the instructors being taught as a group how to instruct and they teach the worst form. I think instructors are there to keep you from falling. But the learning curve is garbage. IMO the best way to get better it to ride as hard as you can with people that are better than you and make sure they're motivating and always push you to ride harder. My roommate in Mammoth was a Burton sponsor. I'd be nowhere near the rider I am if it wasn't for him.

-Myles-
2014 Honda Grom
2000 Suzuki SV650 *SOLD*
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Feed Me a Stray Cat

Quote:
I used Swix F4 wax for a quick deal out there and it worked well and lasted a couple days at least. It's still on there pretty well.
I just gave the Swix XF(extra fast) a shot when I was in Utah. I was riding at race pace most of the trip and my buddies who ride just as fast couldn't keep up. Great stuff.

-Myles-
2014 Honda Grom
2000 Suzuki SV650 *SOLD*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode