Asthmatic Runners? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Asthmatic Runners?

Just curious how many of you are out there. Unfortunately I got it bad and it slows me down but I bring my inhaler with and tough it out. Sucks reading about people running 6 min miles and I'm here stuck at 9-10 due to not being able to breath. Anybody got any tips or tricks so it doesn't sneak up as bad? Asthma is actually what got me started running (to try and control it so it doesn't effect me on daily activities and sports).

Maybe shorter runs at a faster pace? Longer runs at slower pace? Alternating?

Right now im doing avg 5-6 miles a day but at a slower pace so I can finish.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine — it’s like watching a car accident in progress. It’s horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you can’t help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

I have self induced asthma via smoking massive amounts of cigarettes and weed. I can run a 6 min mile. Go as fast you can and see what happens. Sometimes I feel like puking and can't catch my breath but I've got a big dick and I work through it.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Asthmatic Runners?

I've had mild asthma all my life. Probably nothing compared to what you're going through. All I can say is it's a little challenging to improve but by keeping at it I've been able to get decent at running. The best part is, the more fit I've gotten the less the asthma has effected me. I used to wake up at night weasing. I camt remember the last time that's happened to me.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meulen View Post
. The best part is, the more fit I've gotten the less the asthma has effected me. I used to wake up at night weasing. I camt remember the last time that's happened to me.
Friend of mine used to have asthma pretty bad. started getting in shape to pass a fit test for a gvmt job, dropped a bunch of weight and hasnt had problems with it in a long time.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

See it doesn't effect me on daily stuff. The only time it kicks me hard is when I run fast. At that point If I held a good pace I'd be lucky to get half a mile before collapsing. But its good to hear over time running will drop the effects of it.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine — it’s like watching a car accident in progress. It’s horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you can’t help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
If you have allergies that trigger the asthma don't go out running without popping some allergy meds first, deep breaths of pollen put me down pretty quick. During especially bad times (spring and fall for me), I do better running indoors unfortunately. Sucks, just work around it as best you can and understand your limits, don't put yourself in the hospital for something stupid like a training run.

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Asthmatic Runners?

Don't run fast. Do some distance training. You can do an entire marathon and be able to talk the whole time if you just build distance. As you do that you'll also find you'll be able to run short distances easier too. Before you know it you'll run 6/min miles for a 5k while talking to your friends the whole time. Seriously, just run more.

Rule of thumb: run often, sometimes hard but mostly easy.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
I would also talk to your doctor about your meds.

I've always been an active person, but was hindered w/ asthma to the point where I would vomit if I over extended myself. Singulair came out and I was told by my dr. that, and I quote, "Isn't for people like me". I asked for further clarification and he said I could try it. I was searching for anything since I would go through an inhaler every 3-4 weeks. Well, it worked for me and I haven't gone through an inhaler in over 7 years. Not saying singulair is the drug for you, but sometimes different combinations affect others differently.

If that route doesn't help, be sure you are taking the inhaler 15 min. prior to activity. Are you on an inhaled steriod? If so, be sure to take that consistently. I also agree with Meulen...work on distance...not speed.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
You run 5-6 miles a day?

That's 5-6 more than me and I don't have asthma so you are doing well!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Sportbike: '00 Honda VRF800FI, '86 Yamaha YX600
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: jumpjet

I used to have terrible asthma (own set of oxygen tanks, neb unit, etc...) set off by activity / stress / sickness / pollen, you name it, it fucked me up... up until the fall of '09. I always heard that a lot of people grow out if it in their late teens / early twenties... It took me until my late twenties. Every day I run and I don't come home wheezing/dying/crawling around gasping for air is a truly amazing feeling.

I'm not fast by any means, and I don't carry any inhalers any more. I don't even know where one is actually. You're already running farther than I am more often, so I'm not sure I have any advice for ya. The only time I've run 5mi my heart rate hit 204 and i was sore for days.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't run fast. Do some distance training. You can do an entire marathon and be able to talk the whole time if you just build distance. As you do that you'll also find you'll be able to run short distances easier too. Before you know it you'll run 6/min miles for a 5k while talking to your friends the whole time. Seriously, just run more.

Rule of thumb: run often, sometimes hard but mostly easy.
Thats what I was looking for. I wasnt sure if the avg running training would be better (run 10 walk 5 then sprint at the end) but so far 5-6 miles takes me roughly an hour and thats with breaks in between so im not killing myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I would also talk to your doctor about your meds.

I've always been an active person, but was hindered w/ asthma to the point where I would vomit if I over extended myself. Singulair came out and I was told by my dr. that, and I quote, "Isn't for people like me". I asked for further clarification and he said I could try it. I was searching for anything since I would go through an inhaler every 3-4 weeks. Well, it worked for me and I haven't gone through an inhaler in over 7 years. Not saying singulair is the drug for you, but sometimes different combinations affect others differently.

If that route doesn't help, be sure you are taking the inhaler 15 min. prior to activity. Are you on an inhaled steriod? If so, be sure to take that consistently. I also agree with Meulen...work on distance...not speed.

Doc
Thanks,

Unfortunately I haven't been to a Dr in years so I'll have to find one. But day to day I never need an inhaler. Its only when I run, thats the only trigger i have luckily. No neb or anything.

That drug does sound interesting though. But im not sure if itll help me running wise or if its for the random attacks?

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you already take Singulair to prevent asthma or allergy symptoms, do not use it for exercise-induced bronchoconstriction.
Just read up on it, doesn't look like its for somebody like me.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Asthmatic Runners?

Silent

At the point where you are at in your fitness you are going to benefit more from easy miles than you are speedwork anyhow. If you ran 4x per week for 2-3 miles and built a medium length and long run out of 2 of those runs you will get faster for all lengths and avoid over use injuries. Some people even say you shouldn't do any speedwork until you can run 1/2 or even full marathons.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
I also have asthma, but mine was adult onset. It's been a huge adjustment. My doctor suggested some lung exercises, and they did help. http://www.yourasthmatreatment.com/a...-exercises.htm

You need to find a good doctor, they can give you steroids, or put you on a neb for pre-run to open the bronchial tubes. I use it in the mornings before going out into cold air, as that is one of my biggest triggers. If you go that route, check out wal-mart, I get my prefilled packets in a 90 day supply box for $10. They are cheaper than anyone else, even without running it through my insurance. Also Target offers some meds for the same deal. I got sick with a nasty sinus infection, and it turned into bronchitus, and they put me on symbicort, and the neb 2 times a day, it helped a ton within the first 24 hours. Good luck, if you need a doc I have a great one but he's in Joliet, worth the trip for sure. He almost always has samples for the inhalers, and usually gives me a few so there are no scripts to fill. Let me know if you want his info.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Silent

At the point where you are at in your fitness you are going to benefit more from easy miles than you are speedwork anyhow. If you ran 4x per week for 2-3 miles and built a medium length and long run out of 2 of those runs you will get faster for all lengths and avoid over use injuries. Some people even say you shouldn't do any speedwork until you can run 1/2 or even full marathons.
I'm one of the people that believes the opposite, do speedwork "intervals" "sprints" "fartleks" whatever you gotta do to get the lactic acid production up, and teaching the body to excrete it. LSD runs and long twitch muscle fibers are important, but long runs ain't worth much if you have no muscle from the beginning.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Asthmatic Runners?

You're certainly entitled
To your opinion.

There aren't many people in the running world that think that way. That theory could work with very young runners or freak of nature people who don't get over use injuries. But, most people that concentrate heavy on speedwork and ignore distance and volume end up injured. It's why there are 10% volume increase principles in 95% of the run programs out there and they only include speedwork in advanced running plans. If its taking an hour to run 6 miles he's far from the point where advanced plans wouldn't be over doing it.

In silent's case he can't do that anyway. He will be doing well to increase volume. It's his only option and I'd bet on the fact it will make him faster.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
FTMFW!

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
You're certainly entitled
To your opinion.

There aren't many people in the running world that think that way. That theory could work with very young runners or freak of nature people who don't get over use injuries. But, most people that concentrate heavy on speedwork and ignore distance and volume end up injured. It's why there are 10% volume increase principles in 95% of the run programs out there and they only include speedwork in advanced running plans. If its taking an hour to run 6 miles he's far from the point where advanced plans wouldn't be over doing it.

In silent's case he can't do that anyway. He will be doing well to increase volume. It's his only option and I'd bet on the fact it will make him faster.
A short amount of time for me is 30 minutes, and I don't run anymore. Shit, I remember when 30 minutes was just a warmup to a 5k race. Slow twitch muscle fibers are extremely important, just as V02 max is, and there's something about the duration of recovery in V02 max training that I agree with much more than slow twitch recovery time. I found myself injured much more due to the LSD runs on Sunday of 15+ miles, rather than a few fartleks totaling 10 minutes with a 15min warmup and a 10min cooldown.

V02 max is where it's at!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

whatever happened to have a pre race cigarette and go run like your ass is on fire? This fancy schmancy training regimen takes the fun out of things.

<---- Useless Mufugga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode