Xterra 2012 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Xterra 2012

Any of you losers gonna do one this year? I assume Brian is nursing his beatdown from Brown County so he won't be there. Anybody thinking of doing Fort Custer on Sunday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Any of you losers gonna do one this year? I assume Brian is nursing his beatdown from Brown County so he won't be there. Anybody thinking of doing Fort Custer on Sunday?
Yes.............I was....until my digger last week! I see they added one in June I may do though.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Tony M.

Sportbike: Yamaha Tri Zinger
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: a smarta$$ who has been banned.

No plans here, maybe never at this rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Details?
The web site sucks....

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Most athletic websites suck it seems. Details: .5 mile swim, 12.5 mile MTB ride (which is awesome singletrack) and a 4 mile trail run. About 4 hours away I think. Starts at 9am, and you can actually register when you get there. What else you need to know?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Tony M.

It really sounds fun, I would like to go. Good luck I'm sure your fitness will be fine even though the training volume is lower than last year.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Thanks dude. I still have whatever that chest cold/infection thing was that was going around, so I'm sure I'll be dying in this one. I am still shooting for a 7:30 pace in the run, so I may blow up after a mile in.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM

How'd it go Ken?

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Interesting as always. I relied on my general strength for swimming more than technique, and hoped my run was decent, and knew my bike would pull me through somehow.

Started in the front as always looking for a beatdown, which I got pretty quickly. I was run over for the first quarter, and then I got jabbed in the eye which pushed my goggles deep into my eye socket. Had to stop and pull that out and reset and then got back to it. Strangely enough, I am one of the straighter swimmers out there. These tools were pushing me completely off line and crisscrossing each other, so I was getting crunched between two stronger swimmers who couldn't steer themselves. I was getting pretty pissed off so I had to jump over one guy and then another one that was up against him to stay on line. Just grabbed their hips and jumped over and pushed them out of the way. It worked well actually.

For me, solid swim. 14 minutes or so, and I wasn't too far behind the leaders, which were done in about 11 minutes. T1 went fast, though I decided to wear socks, which actually was a good decision, because I still got a blister even with them, so I'm sure I'd have been a bloody mess if I didn't.

Started rocking on the bike, and with the fast swimmers, I had some traffic. 35 people to be exact. I was WAY too nice, and even with some of the more patient passes I made, people still got pissed off. Next year, fuck them. They are going for a ride. I got called an asshole by some chick after I literally gave her over a fucking minute to get the hell out of my way. Asked nicely and was patient, and she said "when there is an open spot" and after a minute I said "hey, it's all singletrack, there are no open fields here" hoping she would get the hint and move over, but no. She got hammered. Oh so sorry.

I came up on 5 other guys and asked to pass after we were going somewhat slowly for a while, and the last guy said "sure, if you want to pull us all along, we're going pretty good" and I said "for sure" and they let me by. I dropped them all right after that. Still, I was way too nice and patient to pass. Next year I'm gonna make some enemies for sure. 5 seconds to move over and then I attempt some crazy pass no matter what's there. Fuck it.

So I finished 30 seconds shy of the best bike time. You know that pissed me off! Next year it's on. I was 7th overall after the bike portion.

Hammered T2 like my hair was on fire, only to realize that yes, we were at my most favorite part of the race, the dreaded run. Started out at a high cadence hoping to hold that for the race, but after a quarter mile it slowed back down to normal, which is around 80, and way too slow. So I plodded along doing what I could do, watching people here and there pass me. I only gave up 5 spots apparently, which I was surprised at, considering my run pace was 8:16 average. It was everything I had in me not to walk and keep a steady pace. I picked it up towards the end, and thankfully nobody was near me to have to sprint it out. Wasn't feeling that.

I got 12th overall out of 130, so not too bad. Last year was 24th overall, so it seems to be getting better, even though my volume is lower than last year. Also surprisingly, others said the run was harder than usual, but I'm pretty sure it was the same as last year. The overall winner's run pace was only 7:15, and the fastest runner's pace was 6:21. Normally everybody is in the 5s, so maybe it was harder, I don't know. Either way I guess that makes my run not so bad. Got a nifty little trophy too.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:13 PM

Nice! And good RR as always! Lol

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Congrats on the event and Nice writeup!

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
nice work Ken

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Ken, you did great! Thanks for reminding me why I don't to tri's anymore. The swim is the absolute worst part. I got tired getting out of the water bleeding. The last one I did (1989) there was a fist fight, in the transition area. I won't say who was involve I think you were way too patient, its a f*cking race, I would yell at other people on the bike "lead, follow or get out the way!" if they get pissed that's their problem, you came to race, not go on a Sunday ride.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Thanks guys. The Xterra races are IMO much more aggressive in the swim. No small waves of people, just one big group at once, so it's like a huge mixer with way too many people swimming like mad.

Yeah next race will be different for sure. No more waiting to pass. I know it sucks when people want to pass you, but everybody has to deal with it, and we've all been there. I don't see the big deal with moving over to one side of the trail for a couple seconds to let somebody pass. Most people either get mad you want to pass, or refuse to let you, like they are going to hold you off for 10 miles. So dumb.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
I managed 11th overall. Some dude tried to mount me in the swim section, went as far as grabbing my hips and thrusting up on me. I was able to blow by him in the running section later though as his girl like legs could not sustain my pace.

Chris
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Resident Slow guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
I managed 11th overall. Some dude tried to mount me in the swim section, went as far as grabbing my hips and thrusting up on me. I was able to blow by him in the running section later though as his girl like legs could not sustain my pace.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Quote:
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Quote:
That dude tried getting fresh with me too! ...so I punched him in the goggle.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Tony M.

Ken why did you try getting fresh with Patrick?

good write up, next year you can show people what it means to be a bushwacker. There will be a report "bloodiest xterra ever"
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Patrick is dreamy.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Signed up for IL Wilds tomorrow. Hopefully I don't catch Typhoid Fever or need a tetanus shot after the swim.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
DONATING MEMBER

Race report IL Wilds 2013:

Didn't warm up, didn't feel like racing, didn't feel like swimming or even getting Typhoid, didn't feel like running a shitty pace, and even at my best pace, would be a shitty pace. Not the best way to go into a race, but screw it, I already drove here, and it's better than working.

Lined up front and center for the swim ready for my typical beatdown, and that's what I got. Nobody can say I ain't tough. Got the crap kicked out of me by everyone including women. Finally the bike.

From what I remember a couple years ago when I did this race last, it wasn't that rocky, but it was raining so maybe I was going slower. Who knows. All I know is this year it was rocky as hell, and not baby head soft edge rocks, but sharp dagger like rocks ready to swallow a tire or wheel up. I went with 35 psi thinking that would be fine, but the tire felt like it was gonna fold over on the fast turns and was hitting the rim a few times on sharper rocks. I was worried I was gonna flat, so I turned it down a bit knowing I was having a fast bike time anyways.

After the first lap out of two, a guy who must have been a slower swimmer than i was (hard to believe) came up on me riding pretty well. He passed me in the open section and started hammering down. I was having fun now there was company so I matched his pace and we were tearing it up. About the middle of the last lap he balled it up and I passed him. He got up quick and was on my tail again, but I had a decent gap up to that point.

Tire was still giving me problems but I was having fun so whatever. As I pitched it into this super fast sweeper that was all rocky, I lost the front and then hit a rock which threw me into a short tree with lots of exposed branches. It basically impaled me, and I was pretty sure I had a hole in my chest. The rest of me wrapped around the tree, and the dude came up to me and asked if I was OK. I checked my jersey and no blood, so I said I was fine and he took off.

Got up and did a complete exam, and my chest was on fire with serious scrape marks under the skin, and my arm was super swollen already with rough rash on it and was bleeding. Knee had a nice hole in it and hurt like hell too. Everything moved, so I hopped on and kept going. Fuck it. What else ya gonna do?

Finished the bike and started the 4 mile run. Wasn't really feeling it up to that point, so I just did what I could and took it. As it turned out, not many people passed me on the run surprisingly. I figured I was in the back and everybody was already ahead of me from the swim. I could see the guy that was ahead of me from the bike, and I was matching his pace for the first two miles at about 7:45. My HR was climbing and I knew I couldn't hold that the next two miles. We hit the huge hill towards the end of the run, and I looked back for a long distance and nobody was on my tail, so I said what's the point and walked a bit up the steep hill. Then I walked some more. Felt nice.

Ran it in like I knew what I was doing and was glad I finished. Wound up getting 2nd age group and 11th overall. It appears as though there are some seriously shitty mountain bikers here, hence my finishing position. Glad about that. Got a sweet ass keychain that said 2nd place on it that I quickly threw into the garbage and headed home to find a Culvers. The end.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Resident Slow guy

Nice writeup.
Sounds like Brian's crashing habits are contagous

Last edited by Ohfugit; 08-19-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode