Fluids??? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Fluids???

During my past workouts, I rarely or never take fluids. At the end of workouts, I usually have a couple pints of water. I have extended my workouts now, to jogging for an hour, 30 minutes on the health rider and 45 minutes to an hour on the heavy bag. The last 15 minutes on the heavy bag, sometimes I feel drained, exhausted, to downright weak. People suggest I do some sort of energy drink (gatorade). I have also heard (can't remember where) that you would have to run a full maranthon before your body requires any of the "energy" stuff from energy drinks, that all your body needs to be re-hyrdated. So do I start taken in water or energy drinks? One lifter I know makes his own energy drink, which is nothing more than Welch's grape Juice and water, 30% juice and 70% water, because your body cannot handle more than 7% fructose intake, or else you end up with a sugar high, then crash after that. Any thoughts?

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:43 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

I have a flexable mixture of Whey protein and Dextrose (corn sugar). I mix in more protein after lifting and more sugar after cardio.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:03 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Here's some random thoughts (your results may vary).

I know one guy that "water loads" before every workout/game/etc. He drinks as much water as he can (about a gallon) an hour before he begins the activity. Claims it keeps him cool, hydrated, etc. for about an hour and a half of heavy exercise. I've tried it during the basketball season and it really seemed to help.

Now for the more unorthodox: Another buddy will drink up to a gallon of chicken stock before heading to the gym. His rationale is that it's super good for you, and because it is absorbed into the body faster than almost any other liquid (the good stuff anyway) you can drink a gallon and not feel full. I believe he makes his own to keep the sodium content down a bit vs. taking down a gallon of Campbell's... but I suspect you'd get similar results off the shelf.

There you have it. Good luck etc.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:51 AM

I would suggest that you change the order that you do your routine. Start with the health rider followed by the heavy bag and finish with the fog. Or you could switch the health rider and the jog. The reason you are feeling weak is because your body is running out of atp. If you hit the bag earlier you will be stronger and have more energy. At this point in your workout you are spent and your body can't easily tap into the fat stores for energy(your secondary energy supply) but doing cardio(aerobic) your body will tap into the fat stores more easily. As for energy drinks go drink plenty of water before during and after. If you really want to make a difference try drinking water mixed with L-Glutamine. I drink this during all my workouts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Are you doing endurance training/sports? Can you only work out once a day? 45 minutes - hour on the bag....Wow! And 2 - 2 1/2 hours at a stretch....Wow again! That's a lot to take in. If you can sustain that sort of conditioning I'm all for it...but if you are really fighting it at the end you might want to break up your routine (or place some alternate exercises in there). You are doing some heavy cardio there and your body is either adjusting to it or telling you to stop. Only you can decide which it is I can't comment on the health rider but I would do the bag first then jog last....I always like doing my strength first and my cardio last. I think you'll like that routine a little better. And since you are doing some heavy sweating here...definitely drink some water before, during and after (maybe every 15 - 20 minutes since you are going pretty hard). If you really want to get precise, find out what your sweat rate is and calculate how much fluid you need to rehydrate. It's hard to tell what might be going on here without understanding your full workout routine (daily regiment...exercises, eating, etc.) but knowing you Rick you'll get in the swing of things soon enough. But definitely, drink a lot of water. I'd stay away from the blends, etc. until post-exercise but that is just my opinion.

***Hans***
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Thanks guys for your inputs. I'm trying to get back in shape. I had let it slide too long. I have lost the weight I wanted and now I want to get tone and tight, I DO NOT WANT to bulk up. I am trying to workout at least 5 days a week, but sometimes work out 6 days. I usually do the cardio first, mainly as a warm up routine, then the health rider as a small cool down and tighten regime and the heavy bag, for strenthen, agility and to de stress myself. The whole process is to get in shape for the TRACK.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Rick, I can't believe it. I thought you knew better. Don't let yourself get dehydrated. It's important to us ummm, not so young, that's it not quite as young as the other guys so we are supposed to be smarter.

Water, water water. You really can't drink too much. For what you are doing don't worry too much about the energy drinks. If I do them I go 3 or 4 to 1 with water. If you are going for a long run drink at least a pint before you hit the road. If you can carry water so much the better. Remember, by the time you are thirsty it's already too late. Try to track on how much pee you porduce during your workouts. You should be pumping enough fluids so you are still pushing plenty through. Remember, if you don't you will get headaches, be tired, be weak, raise your blood pressure and more likely to produce kidney stones. (Yep, I found out the hard way.)
BTW, did I say anything about drinking lots of water?

Later,

Bruce

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode