Weight loss and you........ - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Weight loss and you........

most of you know i have been trying to loose weight. 8 weeks into my program i am down 16lbs, im now under 230lbs for the first time in over 2 years.

I have a few questions for those who work out on cardio,fat burn and strength traning.

1) cardio vs fat burn, machines say heart rate should be in the 120 range for fat burn, if my heart rate is in the 120's i dont feel like im getting anything done, and quite frankly its boring.
I tend to keep my heart rate in the 140's working, not hard, but breaking a good sweat with some spurts of hi heart rate thrown in.
So what is better???
2) strength trainning for fat burn,strength, not bulk
hi reps low weight
or
med weight with med reps
or hi weight low reps?

what is better and why, remind you this is for sliming the body building strength, not size.

TIA

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Re: Weight loss and you........

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
2) strength trainning for fat burn,strength, not bulk
hi reps low weight
or
med weight with med reps
or hi weight low reps?

Do whichever you enjoy or feels best to you. I've never known anyone to accidentally get too big in the gym. Personally i've always enjoyed lower reps with more weight. I rarely do sets over 12 reps, with most being in the 8 range, and some in the 4-6 range.

Chris
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Slowass

Re: Re: Weight loss and you........

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
Do whichever you enjoy
Yeah, there's a LOT of BS out there on this whole topic. What hasn't changed is that if you work hard, and eat healthy, you'll lose weight. 'Nuff said. All this crap about a "fatburning zone" or whatever is nonesense. Just work hard and push yourself.

And find something you enjoy (as Chris said), otherwise you won't stick to it. If you don't enjoy any of it, invest in some good CDs and treat yourself while you work out.

Oh, and MOST IMPORTANTLY: Don't take weight loss advice from chunky chicks.

Good luck and congratulations on your progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 AM

There is no substitute for resistance training...everyones situation/metabolism is different...You can do cardio all day long and not see the results your looking for...I have noticed that med to heavy weights and lower reps work best....and Diet and habits are 85% of the battle...

Im on a beer diet now and I havent hit the jym in a year...I need help with motivation
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Re: Weight loss and you........

First off... Congrats on the 16 lbs!! Keep up the great work!

As for cardio, as long as you do it for at least a half hour per session you'll be fine. But more specifially you will see better results and it will be better conditioning if you mix in high-intensity aerobic activity with your regular paced stuff. For example... if you run, you should run for a few minutes followed by a sprint for like a minute, back to a jog, and then sprint again but only for like 30 seconds to a minute... If you bike, it's the same thing... ride at a good pace and then pedal hard for 30 seconds to a minute, then slow back to regular pedaling...

As for weights and reps... Muscles only grow from one stimulous. You have to tear those fibers and rebuild them. That's the only way you will get stronger. The only thing that more reps with lower weight is going to do is burn like a mofo, and that whole theory of "gotta feel the burn" is you can lift a soup can 100 times and "feel the burn" but you'll never get stronger. Go medium to heavy weight and 6 to 10 reps depending on what muscle you're working. You should be using a weight that you can't lift more than 12 times in a row. 4 sets should do ya. More weight, less reps, and don't worry about bulking up too big. You will tone and condition well before you pack on huge muscle mass. And you'll know it. Like Chris said, I have never known anyone to "accidentally" get too big in the gym. Most of allhave fun and don't get burned out.

Congrats! Keep up the good work Jim!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Slowass

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
More weight, less reps, and don't worry about bulking up too big. You will tone and condition well before you pack on huge muscle mass. And you'll know it. Like Chris said, I have never known anyone to "accidentally" get too big in the gym.
But we've all seen those tubby strong guys with huge arms/pecs that can lift like a mofo...but they have no definition, and are still tubby. So they're just not doing enough/any cardio? I mean, I know guys like that that I see EVERY DAY in the gym...They can make you feel hopeless...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Fell off the Planet

Sportbike: 08 SV650
Years Riding: a month
How you found us: Plead the 5th

The best success I had was when I was working out for at least 1.5 to 2 hours each day and REALLY watched what I ate. I didn't eat pizza at all that summer, and I went out drinking only a couple of times. My DINNERS were usually 2 relatively plain sandwiches and a small cup of gatorade. That summer I dropped from 260 to 220.

Now I'm inactive again, eating pizza 3 times a week, and watching the pounds come back. Motivation is a bitch.

Ride Safe.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:32 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Congrats on the lbs lost. Since they came off over a steady period of time you should be able to keep them off, these crazy diets people do that drop 30lbs in a month are not only temp but very stressful on the heart.
Anyhow, for weight loss it is always important to make cardio a part of the workout but even more important is DIET, I am sure you know all about diet already since you were able to drop some lbs already but one thing many people overlook is a very simple fact. It is SO much easier to cut back the cal. intake rather than burn it off. For example, let's take a plain old can of regular pop. That's about 150 cals. Now from my experience riding a stationary bike at the club at a regular level for 5 mins. burns only about 30-35 cals, that means to just burn off that pop you would have to ride it for almost 30 mins.! Now just imagin if you had a nice Itailian beef at about 900+ cals. My point being that it is easier to curb your diet than try to burn off food that may not be so good for you. The old rule applies burn more cals. than you take in.
As far as workout weight goes, I would not go too light but at the same time don't powerlift either. Taking in less cals. will make you a bit weaker so you don't want to push it and poop out early. Hope this helps.

Under200
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills

Quote:
As for cardio, as long as you do it for at least a half hour per session you'll be fine. But more specifially you will see better results and it will be better conditioning if you mix in high-intensity aerobic activity with your regular paced stuff. For example... if you run, you should run for a few minutes followed by a sprint for like a minute, back to a jog, and then sprint again but only for like 30 seconds to a minute... If you bike, it's the same thing... ride at a good pace and then pedal hard for 30 seconds to a minute, then slow back to regular pedaling...

I can vouch for this. It works REALLY well. We used to do this in the army. My 2 mile time dropped significantly when I trained like this.

Congrats, Jim. Keep up the good work.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

keep the good info coming,

that is pretty much what i do on the treadmill, 1 minute sperts with a few minutes off then sprint again. 30 minutes a night.

then i go work abs
i started off doing 3 sets 0f 30reps at 80lbs ( i was weak)
now im doing 3 reps of 20 at 120-140-120lbs (this is the crunch machine you pull down over yer shoulders.
Then i do the twist machine. this one fucked up my golf game but has elimated the love handles.
2 sets each side of 25 at 70lbs
then depending on the day i go lift, using a mid to high weight for me on various machines 3 reps of 11-12
or i swim laps for a half hour.
5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours a night
its working, feel great, loosing weight, shit i even splurged and got a real hair cut!! hahahahaaha

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Jim,

First, excellent job on taking it upon yourself to up your fitness regiment! 8 weeks and 16lbs is right around where you should be. This sounds like you are actually changing your body composition and not sacrificing vital body parts or robbing peter to pay paul (per these fad diets). As a result, you will maintain this health level as long as you keep it up. However, the first few lbs are always the easiest...it will get more difficult from here on out. I'd be interested to see what your daily routine/week is too????

Second, as far as your heart rate zone, 120 sounds low. Get a fitness test done to find out what your target heart rate zone is. This will help you maintain your levels. As far as boredom, get off that treadmill....I always refer to that as luxury living! You will work your body harder in a 1/2 hr outside than you will for an hour on the mill (and it's always more fun outside). And awesome job on the swimming, definitely keep that up.

Third, since you are doing quite a bit of cardio/endurance activities, I would recommend that you stick with med/high weights and lower reps. Since you have a well rounded routine in place there is not much reason to do low weight/high reps. If you weren't swimming/running I would advise you to hit the lower weight/higher reps. In your case, definitely go as big as you can. At least 3 sets of each exercise (w/ no more than 60 seconds between sets). As said before, don't worry about getting too big. IMO, follow the leaders of strength...bodybuilders....strive to get as big as they are. Odds are you won't actually get there but you will be heading in the right direction.

Finally, keep up the work and have fun doing it...consistency is the key when starting up again. And don't get too concerned with daily weight levels, strenght levels, ect. Your body composition requires adequate time to change...so don't stress on the daily particulars. Fill us in at 6 months. That will be better representation.

Hans

***Hans***
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Solo, nice post!!! sounds like im headed down the right path to get where i want to be. my routine is above your post, and is pretty much what i have been doing for the last 5 weeks, first 3 weeks was all bike and abs, just to get me started. ive been adding more to my routine the more i go. I will defenitly let everyone know how its going at the 6 month mark.

thanks for your input
Jim

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Jim, I talked to a trainer about that fat burn/cardio thing. It's bullshit, just marketing. Think about it if your heartrate goes over what they say is fatburn. Do you just stop burning calories. The only thing I can think that they would do this is that in the fat burn zone you won't get as tired as quickly so you can run longer, which means you'll burn more calories in the long run. ( get it run longer, long run. Ah never mind) But running is boring as watching shit rot

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599

Last edited by rdrash; 09-23-2004 at 01:06 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Giddy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Solo, nice post!!! sounds like im headed down the right path to get where i want to be. my routine is above your post, and is pretty much what i have been doing for the last 5 weeks, first 3 weeks was all bike and abs, just to get me started. ive been adding more to my routine the more i go. I will defenitly let everyone know how its going at the 6 month mark.

thanks for your input
Jim
No problem, I'm glad you brought it up. I always enjoy talking shop....it's such a rush ( I can't wait to hit the gym after work now )

FYI - my current schedule:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Pull/Heavy (Lunch); Boot Camp Class (PM)
Tuesday - Run/Training for Chicago Marathon (Lunch); Yoga/Pilates (PM)
Wednesday - Push/Heavy (Lunch)
Thursday - Spin Class & Run (PM)
Friday - Shoulders/Heavy (Lunch); Pull & Legs (PM)
Saturday - Long Run (AM)

I try to work in some abs just before some of my workouts as well. Also, make sure you are eating/hydrating appropriately as well. This is just as important as your exercise routine.

Have fun.

And always remember......Go Hard Or Go Home

***Hans***
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Solo

And always remember......Go Hard Or Go Home

I always thought it was, "go heavy or go home".

Chris
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
HAHAHA Yeah, Get Hard, GO HOME!! Or at least get the hell out of the locker room!!!

!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Giddy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
I always thought it was, "go heavy or go home".
au contraire mon camelback fritter

"heavy" is a quantitative function that cannot be applied to all forms of exercise. Case in point, you can't go heavy on the treadmill. However, in this case (and others), hard is a qualitative function where Jim can go hard on the treadmill, go hard on the weights, and go hard on the swimming

Have fun with this one

***Hans***
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Giddy Up

Quote:
HAHAHA Yeah, Get Hard, GO HOME!! Or at least get the hell out of the locker room!!!

!

Now, you've got a point there

***Hans***
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by Solo
Now, you've got a point there
If you have a point its best to leave the room and hide out for a while

GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode