Personal Training Q's - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Personal Training Q's

When shopping for a trainer, what are the key areas to "drill down" into? What certifications are "legitimate", and which are preferred?

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
as a female you should make sure that any male personal trainer looks good in a pair of tight spandex. this will greatly improve your motivation.

haha, jk. hopefully someone can chime in with some good info, i've always self trained.

Chris
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 03:20 PM

sorry a little long

i have been a personal trainer for 8 yrs, so i know what to look for. first off education is a big factor, ideally they should have a degree in exercise physiology or science, kinesiology, or something along those lines. if not they need to be certified by a nationally recognized organization; NASM (national academy of sports medicine), ACSM (american college of sports medicine), ACE (american council on exercise). these are some of the most recognized organizations. second thing is experience. how long have they been a personal trainer? why did they get into personal training? no offense to anyone but alot people think just because they lost some weight they can be a personal trainer. don't waiste your time with people like this. they typically don't have the experience or the educational background to help people with different body types. next question you should ask is what things do they specialize in? meaning do you have any special needs or issues requiring a trainer with a specific background or training. lastly don't rely on what the trainers physical appearance is. you don't want someone that is in great shape but doesn't have any of the above requirements. the trainer should take care of themselves and you should be able to tell they workout. you should also enjoy talking to the trainer because you will be telling them things that you don't tell anyone else. so i hope this helps, if you or anyone else have questions feel free to pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen
When shopping for a trainer, what are the key areas to "drill down" into? What certifications are "legitimate", and which are preferred?

Kimmy, my only comment is, make sure you have your goals firmly established in your mind. If your quest is to be in good physical condition so you can be faster on the track, make sure you state that to your PT and your regime is targeted towards that goal. When I started my quest to get back in shape I talked with a good friend who is a "retired personal trainer" Allie really squared me away. Good luck.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode