High cholestrol - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

High cholestrol

Well, joy of joys, my doctor tells me I have high cholestrol and wants me to start on Lipitor. I would prefer to try diet and excersize but he seems confident that would not be enough.

I asked about getting off once you get started, and he essentially stated that you need to continue indefinately.

I am going to schedule a stress test. Maybe the results from that will be a indicator of the urgency.

I have a LOT of room for improvement in both diet and excersize. My excersize has been almost nonexistant for the last 3 years or so.

As if I wasn't already stressed by work, now I have to decide about this and the doctor was pretty pessimistic about lowering it adequately with a lifestyle change. I tried to assertain whether this is because people really don't make changes but he just kept saying that around a 10% reduction is what he usually sees which is still too high.

It sucks getting old!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Dave, that totally blows. I imagine you feel the same as me with respect to taking medication - especially on a long-term basis.

There's probably little harm in going the diet/exercise route first. It will require a commitment to a lifestyle change on your part, but if you stick with it, both you and your doctor may be pleasantly surprised by the results. If discipline is an issue, consider a personal trainer. Having someone working with you makes a huge difference.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:22 AM

You might just be fighting genetics here. For some people, no matter how much they exercise, ther cholestrol levels are high.

Lipitor seem farily proven and has been on the market for over a decade now. I think you have a higher risk of dieing from a heart attack that dieing frmo side effect from Lipitor.

Exercising and slimming down a little will also reduce the load on your heart and knees/joints. It will also make your motorcycle go faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 AM

Dont worry about taking Lipitor. It works very well, and more people take it than you can imagine. I say take the Lipitor AND go for the lifestyle change. The change will help you more than anything, and the Lipitor will help to make sure that you are around to enjoy that life for longer. You DONT want to have a heart attack. If you'd see the things that i see daily, you would understand that most people dont make it to heart attack number 2. Best of luck though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

What are the side effects of Lipitor? How does it work?

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:09 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

dont worry dave i am sure all will be well

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy
From the Lipitor website

Adverse Reactions: "The most frequent adverse events thought to be related to atorvastatin were constipation, flatulence, dyspepsia, and abdominal pain" This occured in <2% of patients.

How it works:
"Lipitor lowers LDL cholesterol by blocking an enzyme in the liver that your body uses to make cholesterol."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: '04ZX-10R, some YSRs
Years Riding: legally since '86
How you found us: sbn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave
Well, joy of joys, my doctor tells me I have high cholestrol and wants me to start on Lipitor. I would prefer to try diet and excersize but he seems confident that would not be enough.

I have a LOT of room for improvement in both diet and excersize. My excersize has been almost nonexistant for the last 3 years or so.

It sucks getting old!
I had this same conversation with my doctor about 4 months ago. My cholesterol has always been a little high but this time my triglycerides were through the roof (should be around 150, mine were over 500). I've been eating a ton better since October but still very, very little exercise. With my schedule and job/family it's tough. I need to go back in a few weeks and have another blood test in a few weeks, so we'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy
Liver problems, you need to do regular blood test while on Lipator.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode