Anyone ever use NO2? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Anyone ever use NO2?

A friend of mine recommended MRI NO2 to me today. He said that in one month he gained 10-15 pounds of weight (almost entirely muscle), had great results, and bulked up a lot. I'm taking GNC Whey Protein right now, but am thinking about dropping $40 on 200 of these pills (you take like 6 a day I believe, so it only lasts about a month).

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken them. There are also supposed to be no harmful side effects, the product was tested in production for over 5 years, and has gone through checks with a few various universities.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Tom

Sportbike: 2001 R6
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: old member of sbn

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT270
A friend of mine recommended MRI NO2 to me today. He said that in one month he gained 10-15 pounds of weight (almost entirely muscle), had great results, and bulked up a lot. I'm taking GNC Whey Protein right now, but am thinking about dropping $40 on 200 of these pills (you take like 6 a day I believe, so it only lasts about a month).

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken them. There are also supposed to be no harmful side effects, the product was tested in production for over 5 years, and has gone through checks with a few various universities.

Thoughts?
I have used this supplement for a year or so, I don't believe your friend gained 10-15 pounds of this supplement. Maybe if he was using the juice but still hard to believe.

Most supplements now-a-days go through extensive university studies. I also believe depending on your weight IE: <200 you take 6-8 >200 pounds you take ten. My buddy was taking like 18-20 and said he got pretty good results.

NO2 is a great supplement and if you can get it for 40 bucks jump on it. But don't expect it to work miracles. Also, let me know where you are getting this for 40 bucks, because I am in Cary as well and wouldn't mind buying a bottle or two....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Norton

Ok, I bought the NO2 stuff on Thursday, it seems to have started working right away ... I am starting to feel the pump. My friend said (and the book you can buy with it by Edward Byrd for $1) that usually Days 4-7 is where it'll begin to set in.

Anyways, GNC in CL has a $60 bottle with 180 caplets as well as a $79 bottle with 300 caplets. I bought the 300 one, I figured I might as well drop the extra $20 -- and take a whole thing, because that's what my friend did as well. I definitely have more endurance already, maybe that's partially mental, but I am able to work out longer and harder, and my muscles feel like rocks while I work out and then for the majority of the day (not yet at the perpetual pump point yet).

So far, I'd recommend it. You just have to make sure to stick to exactly what the directions say, because it's touchy stuff I guess.

Where do you work out at Norton?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:00 PM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
10-15 in one month...thats called steroids....forget the hype man....protein is all you need

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well I have protein too.

This guy works out a lot as well. He is a wrestler for Millikan College, so he trains really hard, which I am sure contributed to it. So, I decided to try the Cornell Wrestling 6 Week Program while on it, I think it'll go well.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Be sure to check your blood pressure too, some supps. give you nice pumps but at the cost of high BP, not good for the heart.

Under200
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT270
Norton

, maybe that's partially mental, but I am able to work out longer and harder, and my muscles feel like rocks while I work out and then for the majority of the day (not yet at the perpetual pump point yet).

So far, I'd recommend it. You just have to make sure to stick to exactly what the directions say, because it's touchy stuff I guess.

Where do you work out at Norton?
Sounds great that it is working for ya...NO2 works but you have to take a ton of it and for the price you can get the good stuff.....Most supps when you start out on them you usually get a placebo effect....but stay on it 6-8 weeks.....like previous post check your blood pressure regularly (SP?)

I work out at Shamrock in McHenry it is free since I live there....If/when I move I want to workout at a lifetime xsport or preferrably a Worlds.......

I miss the powerhouse on 31

Good luck and train hard
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah -- I'm over at the new Cardinal Fitness in Cary. They had a $99 special for college students over the summer.

I ended up getting the MRI NO2 stuff too, I think I forgot to mention that. But, I think it's a combination too of the fact that I've never taken anything before, so any boost is probably going to make a pretty large impact for me.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

What are their rates, and hours etc.

Is their equipment nice (IE: hammer strength, parabody, lifefitness etcc.c...)
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the equipment is nice, all brand new, Life Fitness. They have a decent amount of free weights, a Smith Machine, probably around 30-40 Life Fitness machines.

I think rates for a new member (non-student or teacher) is like $79 joining fee, then just $20/month. If you have an additional family member it's like a $49 joining fee and $12 a month, and then third and after is like $29 joining $7 a month.

It looks small, but they have a good amount of equipment, I would recommend it. They probably have 10-15 treadmills, 10 ellipticals, and like 6 bikes as well.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:03 AM

Also if you use this stuff, you gotta watch when you take it. Meaning that it should be taken on an empty stomach otherwise you lose the value of it. No2 contains 2 basic things. I'm probably going to butcher the spelling, but whatever. Alphaketogluterate is one and alphaketoisocaproate is the other. (AKG and KIC). These do actually work in muscle growth with growth hormone stimulation. The other thing they toss in is Arginine which is for the release of growth hormone. Now when I took this stuff I took KIC and AKG together and I would take a seperate supplement of Arginine/Ornithine. This seemed to work best for me. Generally I would take a nap during college after my classes for an hour or two and take it right before I went to sleep or sometimes wake in the middle of the night and take them. Why? To take the supplements at the time when most of the growth hormone is being released. Also I knew that my stomach was empty.

Why is taking these on an empty stomach important? Well they are basically amino acids. Modified a little, but still amino's. When you take all of the amino's or something like 26 of them and combine them, you get a very familiar thing called...protein. So if you take, say, Arginine at the same time as your protein shake, then much of the Arginine is simply going to bind and be absorbed with the protein. The reason you take individual amino's is to get their individual benefits.

Though a disclaimer...you'll often spend more on the supplements then they are worth. 3 factors are your greatest ones in determining your muscle gains. The workout, your diet, and sleep. Meaning that you can spend hundreds upon hundreds on supplements and have a most excellent program working out 3 hours a day. But you will have little to no gains if you only sleep 4 hours a night for example. So before you go on any supplements, I would make sure that those 3 main things are at their ideals for you. Then perhaps as an assistance you can add in some supplements. KIC and AKG wouldn't be my top picks though...
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well here is my current schedule if you want to examine it Biggy. I talked to a buddy of mine about it, and he said it sounds good.

Wake Up - 9:00 AM
- Drink a GNC Mega Whey Protein Shake
- Take NO2 (with the shake)

9:30 AM
- Eat a healthy, filling breakfast

11:00 AM
- Begin my workout

12 or 12:30 PM
- End workout
- Drink a GNC Mega Whey Protein Shake
- Take NO2 (with the shake)

1:00 PM
- Eat a healthy, filling lunch

Work 4:00 - 12:30, I sleep about 7.5 hours, sometimes more. I also drink at least 64oz of water a day, throughout the day. I eat right with all of my meals, the occasional snacking ... but so far increased size is definitely the biggest improvement after just one week on it. At this point I would agree with the NO2 book that Ed Byrd wrote, he says that after the first 21 (or maybe 28) days, you should have gained between 2.5% and 5% of your starting weight.

Your size definitely just explodes with this stuff, I can't wait for another two weeks to go by and see my gains.

Keep in mind, I have never taken any supplements of any kind, not even protein. I just started working out hard about 3-4 months ago, and I'm 5'10" 154lbs (On May 15th I was only 147 pounds, and have gained maybe 1lb since I started NO2). My arms are very long, but the bulking has been quickly notable. My muscles also just seem more defined everywhere as well since I began this program.

Last edited by MarkZX6R; 06-23-2005 at 05:11 PM.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 AM

Since you just started working out, that's why you're gaining the weight. The protein for sure helps, but the NO2 I doubt you are getting more than 5% effectiveness from it because you're taking it in conjunction with protein, you are also losing the individual values of it...re-read my post about taking aminos apart from protein.

If for example you were at a plateau and you added the NO2 to the protein shake. You would most likely see very nill if any at all results from it. Seems that if anything you're getting a placebo effect here, but even more so, your biggest gains are always when you first begin working out.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Oh and stay away from GNC...it's mostly crap. Use companies such as Optimum Nutrition, Twinlabs, Sportpharma...
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
Oh and stay away from GNC...it's mostly crap. Use companies such as Optimum Nutrition, Twinlabs, Sportpharma...

Your post is very ignorant in the fact that Optimum packages GNC protein. If you don't believe do a search for a partnership for Optimum and GNC I believe the deal was signed back in 99-2000....Sportpharma's garbage, if you want a good protein use ON Pro Complex (be ready to spend some $$$)

Richard says, "You don't need protein, you need my latest fitness video and deal-a-meal to get your curves"
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton
Your post is very ignorant in the fact that Optimum packages GNC protein. If you don't believe do a search for a partnership for Optimum and GNC I believe the deal was signed back in 99-2000....Sportpharma's garbage, if you want a good protein use ON Pro Complex (be ready to spend some $$$)

Richard says, "You don't need protein, you need my latest fitness video and deal-a-meal to get your curves"
Speaking of ignorance, I just got off the phone with GNC corporate and was told that other than perhaps stocking a few ON products, they have nothing to do with them and have no contract with ON other than on stocking their products. And by staying away from GNC it wasn't the store, but their brand which I was reffering to in case that was confusing, but you are hinting at the fact that one bottles the others protein. GNC proudly told me that they manufacture all of their own protein. I also did your search for this partnership which also yielded nothing. GNC + Optimum Nutrition + Partnership got me nothing other than a good sale somewhere on some vitamins.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:03 PM

And another thing...it's $20 or so for a bottle of Pro Complex...it's not mega bucks. When I worked as a nutritionist at a health foods store, other than "NOW" protein, Optimum Nutrition was by far the cheapest. Want expensive, go with EAS.

What's the difference in these proteins? Today...nothing if anything at all. Now you've got some real cheap proteins in the mags and a lot of those are garbage, but for the well known companies they close to equal. Biggest factor is that the R+D done is by the leaders such as EAS who get to the market first, but with a bit of patience companies like ON and NOW release the same thing for much less. Save the advertising and just put it on the shelf right next to EAS and hope your store has some semi educated sales guys to tell customers not to spend 2x the bucks on the popular stuff as the identical cheaper stuff.

And even the big names make mistakes. I recall when we couldn't stock HMB fast enough (you can do a search on that), from everything I knew when it was released it seemed to do very little if anything. Only time I took HMB was when they were giving away free tshirts. Guys spent hundreds and thousands on getting bottles of this stuff (supposed to help you absorb protein to sum it up). Turned out to be useless pretty much as many in the nutrition field figured.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Biggy

I failed to mention in my first post, that my friend that gained all that weight (who had already been working out for probably 4-5 years before he took the stuff) was also taking Protein at the same time.

Based on what I've done in college Biology, I really don't see how taking Protein would have any effect on the effectiveness of NO2. The protein is simply there to replenish your blood's ATP and allow the muscle to recover. Having extra protein in your bloodstream should not do anything to the effectiveness of NO2. That would be like eating 2 steaks in a day, hurting NO2's value, shouldn't matter. NO2 is found naturally in your muscles. The NO2 itself simply does what your body cannot, grow new muscle fiber. By working out you can expand your existing muscle fiber, but not grow new muscle fiber. So as the NO2 grows new muscle fiber, the protein should simply help these new muscles recover and flourish.

Also, the book they have at GNC, written by Ed Byrd; suggests taking protein. But thanks for making me double check. In I believe 9 days, my biceps have gone from 12.5 inches to 14 inches (flexed). So, the gains have been nice so far.

I'll look into getting the ON Protein -- I've heard good things about it, and if it's cheaper, why the hell not.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:16 AM

Protein is nothing but a bunch of amino's put together. Of course there's more to it, but that's the basic idea. NO2 is simply 2 different amino acids. It's nothing fancy. In all honesty there are plenty of other things I would take before NO2, but if you think it's working for you, then why not...placebo or not, results are results. Basically I can also promise you that you are getting minimal effects, if any from the NO2 when taking it with protein. If some book at GNC is telling you different, then feel free to follow whichever one you like. I've worked for 10 years as a personal trainer and sports nutritionist so I'm not totally clueless either when it comes to this stuff. Then again if you knew the answer, why post the question in the first place?
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i'm with biggie, there is no f-ing way that ON protein is the same as GNC protein. I've taken both, and aside from the taste difference the result difference is there. My experience with GNC products has been lackluster.

Chris
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Biggy, I think I am going to try to take your advice and just stick with plain NO2 for a week or two and see how it works. If the gains are bigger, then that is fantastic.

It's hard to understand why it would be bad to take protein, but maybe the NO2 just needs you to have some extra calories or fat in your bloodstream instead of all the protein. I think I will probably swap out my protein intake and increase water intake. I sit probably around 64oz a day, and I just noticed in the book that on days when you work out you want to hit around 100oz. I guess I need to read more carefully.

Anyways, I also noticed that the main thing that Ed Byrd [Creator of the Creatine and NO2 sold at stores] is that he says to take Creatine Monohydrate if you are going to take anything with the NO2, but it isn't necessary. So I'll stick to water and no protein for a while, see how it goes. Thanks for the know-how Biggy.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM

No no no. I’m not saying not to take protein, but to take it at a different time. So take both, just separate them, that’s where you run into the problem of effectiveness. Take the NO2 before bed and have a shake in the morning. Have the NO2 at some point where it does not absorb at the same time as the protein is all. There are no other conflicts other than that, it’s just the timing.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Aaaaah okay, I misunderstood you. That's why I was like, having both in your bloodstream really isn't hurting anything.

Okay well the thing is that you are supposed to take a dosage of NO2 30 min before breakfast and 30 min before lunch. Well, usually I take a shake when I wake up, and have to take NO2 with it because I'm just hungry soon (plus you are supposed to wait 2 hours to workout after you've taken the NO2).

So after my workout, I drink a shake, but then I have to eat lunch soon because I have to leave for work, so I have to take NO2 at the same time. Any ideas on how to break it up, or what is enough time?
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:44 AM

You don't have to take NO2 anywhere near whatever times they say. The important thing you can see they're trying to say even on the NO2 is that you're taking it away from food, basically on an empty stomach which you are most likely to have before lunch or breakfast. My suggestion is to wakeup and pop the NO2 immediately. You can even take it in the middle of the night if you wake up to run to the bathroom or whatever. Now kill the next 30 mins with shower, shave, whatever...then have your shake on the way out the door. Give the NO2 enough time to absorb. Same goes for working out. Have your NO2 before the workout and have the shake after.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Okay cool, I'll try to mix it up. I'll do the same thing even on non-work out days then as well.

The reason I said that about breakfast/lunch too, is because I've read that some people that take NO2 too late in the afternoon have a lot of trouble sleeping at night because their heart is racing.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 PM

Look, I hate to burst your bubble. In reality, you’re not gonna get exactly what you think you’re gonna get. Like I said before, if you get the right one then you’re pretty well off. One thing every person who lifts out there MUST STOP doing is looking at names. “NO2” is not actually what you’re taking in…forget about any studies on NO2 itself. What tablets you’re taking is NO2 the brand name. NO2 in terms of the real world is basically a chemical which is part of air pollution. Nitric Oxide combines with Oxygen and creates NO2 (Nitric Dioxide), so don't think that you're taking a pill version of actual NO2. They can put “Steroid 5000” on the bottle and that doesn’t change the ingredients. Forget about studies on products, even double blind independent labs really aren’t always what they claim it to be when it comes to the sports nutrition hype.

NO2, depending on who you buy it from may contain approximately these ingredients which vary by brand: KIC, AKG, Niacin, and Glucose…perhaps there’s other ingredients out there in other brands, but the MAIN ingredient is AKG. Your best bet is to go out and buy AKG/OKG tablets and a bottle of KIC. Forget about the niacin, glucose, whatever else is mentioned. Now the amino’s I’m telling you about will not make your heart race, will not give you instant results, and will work VERY slowly. Forget about getting results in the first week of taking them…maybe after a month you might have some gains in terms of muscle composition and endurance. The gains to be expected are minimal and in reality supplements like creatine, androstene, and straight protein stack will yield much much greater results. KIC, AKG, and OKG are something that I never even bother mention to someone starting out because it’s not worth it.

I understand that it’s not easy to swallow (no pun intended) what I’m saying when you’ve been hyped up by magazines and poor studies which always show this brand or this product to work 1000% better than everyone else and to make you the next Arnold. Your gains…I would say that 75% of them are simply because you are new to working out. That’s it…I promise that these are the biggest percentage gains that you will ever see. It’s all down hill from here and no health food store pill is going to change that. The NO2 is working for you because you THINK it’s working for you and that’s all. If you were taking it with a protein shake you were in reality cutting down on the effectiveness on the NO2 to minimal levels, but still claim to have a pump. Your results are probably 90% placebo effect. What’s causing all your gains right now is your diet…meaning your protein shake and meals, your sleeping habbits, and your workout. I’m not saying that AKG and KIC are not effective, however they are not effective on the level which you think they are.

So finish up this bottle of NO2 and just get the basic ingredients next time which I mentioned above and take them as I told you to earlier. Do a month cycle on creatine and there you’ll see some decent results, but don’t forget…any time you take any powder, be it a protein shake, creatine, etc…you MUST also drink more water.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:46 PM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
like i said before...forget the hype...a good diet is all you need consisting of plenty of protein. but since most of us can't get enough protein. protein supplement is all you need. that and hard workouts. anything that puts on 10 pounds in a month is going to maybe be one or two pounds of muscle. which you can do with a good workout and protein and a good diet. and anyway...who cares about how much you weigh. we aren't women here....its how much weight you lift. on protein i have maintained and dropped my body weight yet i am getting stronger and stronger.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well I mean I don't have much weight that I can lose. Right now I just kind of want to build up size some, I mean I want strength as well, but I'd say if I can add size at 2x and strength at 1x for a while that'd be fine with me. Once, I'm a little bigger then I'd concern myself entirely with strength, and not worry about size.

But, I'm going to finish out this bottle of NO2 and then see where I am at I guess.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Give Deca/dbol a whirl. I guarantee you will put on 5-10 pounds in a month/month and a half.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode