Had my Lasik done yesterday! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Had my Lasik done yesterday!

Well the day finally came. Did my pre-op appointment Wed. and went in at 3:30 yesterday. Filled out all the paperwork and they took my payment and gave me a half a valum, only half WTF! The papers you sign are funny/frightening. I remember the best one was that you agree that the machine could malfuntion due to a act of god or something. Anyhow. 20 min. later they tell me they are ready. FYI I had the full blown job done. Intralase (laser cuts the flap) and Customevue (custom Lasik) and ofcourse regular lasik. First they had to create the corneal flap. Usually this is done with a blade that slices the flap. I opted for the intralase to do this, more money but safer and quicker healing along with less chance of halos later. A laser is shot into your eye creating gas bubbles that lift the cornea and a laser perforated the outer cornea. Then the doc can lift it easier. Well, they do one eye at a time. They put drops in to nub the eye and put thing on your eye that has suction and the machine lowers putting a shitload of pressure on your eye. Felt like a 5lb weight on the eye. 5 seconds later eye one is done, next....This time I smelt burnt eye juice or something, yummy...
Okay, they now swing me over to the Visix Lasik machine. They look at my eye and say that they have to wait for the bubbles under my cornea to form into one. O shit I thought, here we go......So I ask if I should open my eyes, they say yes follow me to another room to sit for 15 min. while the bubbles join. I open my eyes and only see a white cloud and 6 or 7 bright lights. I tell the guy that he better guide me because I can't see for shit but smoke. He says it's normal and guides me. I sit in a dark exam room like a retarted step child hidden when company comes over
He comes back and looks at my eyes and I can see more now, I am all good, the white vision was from the gasses in the bubbles. They put me on the table/chair again under the Visix machine. He now lifts the corneal flap. Kinda hurt on the right eye, not like a pin in the eye but kinda like a pinch for a second or two. Stay still and look at the light 8 seconds of laser. On to the next eye, much smoother. Finished. I sit up and look at the clock, I can't read it! Everything is blurry. I tell them they say it's 100% normal. So when you see these makeover shows and the person gets up and has perfect vision, bullshit. They give me drops, sunglasses, goggle for sleeping and instruction and I get a ride home from a family member. No pain or itching or burning but my vision still sucked. Kinds like someone put a peice of really thin wax paper in front of you. No way I could have drove home, 4 hrs later it's a bit better. I continue drops and go to bed. Woke up this morning and out my drops in and my vision is 100% better than yesterday. Not perfect or as good as I saw with my contacts yet but MUCH better than I saw without them. Kinda like having Really dirty contact right now. Still pretty amazing shit for about 24 hrs after surgery. Went in this morning for my 1st post op. The nurse gave me a vision test, read the wall deal. Then the doc comes. Looks at the stuff the nurse wrote. Wow he says you are doing VERY well, above average healing. Looks at my eyes with his gadgets and repeats I am healing faster than usual. Tells me not to be suprised if my vision fluctuates and gave me the clear to drive. Pretty excited so far. At this rate I think I may be very close to perfect after a week if I keep up this rate, but they say you see the full effect at 3 to 6 months. Of course I hear that halos and rainbows on lights and bright stuff happen for a month or 3. We will see. So far I would definitley recommend the operation and doc I had.
Sorry for the long post but I couldn't read my laptop screen last night and was web deprived. Also happy to say goodbye to glasses and contacts that I wore since 1982 or so. Today was the first day I didn't have to put on either since then.

Under200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Congratulations - and it only gets better from there!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOlsen
Congratulations - and it only gets better from there!
How long did it take until your vision was what you would consider near perfect? 1 week, 1 month, 3????

Under200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
How much was the damage?

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Congrats

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:47 PM

Congrattulations. I hope you will stay 20/20
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL
How much was the damage?
Let's just say that the tag on my new SV back in 02 and this looked very similar. Could have had it done cheaper at one of those Lasik superstores that run assembly lines but this guy came highly recommended and I felt it was worth the cost.

Under200
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Congrats and I know the tag of the SV as I had the same year. LOL

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

I think it was maybe a month... I had to have "touch-up" work done to my right eye (it had stabilized at 20/40... and that wasn't nearly good enough, LOL) but I've been 20/20 (or darn close) for 7 years now.

I DO remember the pre-op being more uncomfortable than the actual procedure (nothing like having your eye clamped open, LOL) and reading license plates with my nekkid eyes on the way home (albeit through a thin sheet of wax paper - I like that description!).

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
Let's just say that the tag on my new SV back in 02 and this looked very similar. Could have had it done cheaper at one of those Lasik superstores that run assembly lines but this guy came highly recommended and I felt it was worth the cost.

Under200
I got mine done at an assembly line place. The doctor used the tool to cut the flap and a regular laser. My vision was cloudy but sharp right after surgery. I had 20/15 vision the next day and drove myself to the office.

I paid $2,400 in January 2003. A friend of mine had his done 2 years ago by a well known doctor (paid $4700) and had problems with his flap healing properly. I think it does not matter where you get this done (assembly line plcae), but who does it. My surgeon had over 15k surgeries at the time and had over 95% of the patients at 20/20 vision.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
wow.... is there an age limit on this?? I heard you had to be a certain age and certain requirements to get the surgery?? Anyone know? This is something i would want to get..

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Back then, my doctor would not consider patients under the age of 25 because before then, the degree of correction needed for the eye is still changing. Most folks' vision is pretty stable after that point... until presbyopia sets in in the mid-forties.

I was also told that people with MAJOR corrections were better candidates for the surgery as well.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode