best method to break through a plateau? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

Sportbike: butter churn
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

best method to break through a plateau?

I've been trying to get back in shape, losing weight while toning up. I've made some good progress but kinda "plateaued" for the last week or so. If anything I've trained a little harder and watched my diet more closely trying to break through. What's the best method to get through a plateau quickly as possible? thanks

Kevin

Ask me how to get a free kick in the teeth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:35 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
I always try small changes in my routine.
example: if I hit a plateau for bench press I'll change the number of reps/sets, or go to dumbells for a while. I don't know about cardio, but with strength training you always have to "shock" the muscles to continually get stronger. Don't let them get used to doing the same thing every week.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

yeah the weight training routine changes constantly, been following a lifting plan out of a book (can't remember the title) that uses different methods and exercises each week. Has been very effective so far. The plateau is primarily weight loss related

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:54 PM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Replace your carb's with something other than beer.
Or do like I do don't eat and drink more beer.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

haven't had a beer in weeks, haven't gone atkins diet but very low carb intake, plenty of protein

Kevin

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:14 PM
1,2,3,4,fif!

Sportbike: 95 Rocky Mountain Hardtail - 23.5lbs
Years Riding: Zero on a motorcycle
How you found us: BadWeatherBikes.com

You will have to increase cardio or decrease caloric intake. If you're watching your diet at closely as you describe, it sounds like the only option is to up the cardio.

Are you at your body's "natural" weight? Everyone seems to have a comfortable weight that will be very difficult to break through. Or is it that you still have some pounds to lose...and the progress simply slowed down?

In order to lose weight, you simply have to burn more calories than you intake. Which are you more likely to do...burn more or intake less?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

I've done both, increased cardio and decreased caloric intake. Still need to put in more cardio time though. I went from jogging one mile on the treadmill every other day to jogging every day, two miles on non-lifting days and one mile on lifting days. Thats the plan that I started three days ago anyway. I'm going to buy some better shoes, the ones I've been using have had it and my shins are getting painful. Hopefully will put in more time on the treadmill after that.

I'd say I'm at my body's natural weight right now, after losing 15 lbs., but still have more pounds to lose. I think I'm most likely to burn more calories, and take in fewer calories simultaneously as long as I keep my head in the game, which I've done so far.

Kevin

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

What plateau are you trying to break? Plateau is a very vague word. Plateau is in losing body fat? Plateau as in strength? Plateau as in endurance? etc. etc....
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

plateau as in losing body fat. Looks like I'm through it as of today, since I'm losing weight again. Took about a week. I was just wondering if there is a faster way to get through it

Kevin

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:41 PM
BH

keep in mind that you can't just go on weight #'s alone. if you are lifting hard and gaining muscle mass you might actually gain weight, but lose fat.
- go by how you look and feel, and not what the scale says.

keep eating plenty of lean protein. the more muscle you add, the more calories you burn.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21
keep in mind that you can't just go on weight #'s alone. if you are lifting hard and gaining muscle mass you might actually gain weight, but lose fat.
- go by how you look and feel, and not what the scale says.

keep eating plenty of lean protein. the more muscle you add, the more calories you burn.

+1

Or invest in a body fat caliper for around 15 bucks. If you want some great cardio workouts here are some I do:

-Walk on a 5-10% incline on treadmill at 3.5 mph+
-Stairmaster is a great cardio workout
-or jog at a moderate pace

Good luck
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

I've heard to eat one gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight, per day. Does that sound accurate? I lift three time a week, moderate intensity. It just seems like a lot of protein, and I have also heard that eating too much protein will go to waste, producing fat. So is the gram per pound thing a good rule of thumb, or too much since I'm not a bodybuilder? I'm new at this, and sometimes its difficult to interpret good info from BS

Kevin

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:43 PM
1,2,3,4,fif!

Sportbike: 95 Rocky Mountain Hardtail - 23.5lbs
Years Riding: Zero on a motorcycle
How you found us: BadWeatherBikes.com

I've read and done the 1 gram of protein to 1lb body weight thing. For my body, it seemed unneccessary. I believe 1 gram to 1.5lbs or ever 2lbs still worked for me. Experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
and I have also heard that eating too much protein will go to waste, producing fat.

A gram of protein is 4 calories. If you eat more calories than you burn/use, it will be stored as fat. This happens with all foods, whether made up of fat, protein, or carbohydrates.

In order for you to really understand your gains, I agree that body fat percentage is the key. As stated, if you weigh 200lbs before you started exercising and changing your eating habits...lose 15lbs of fat over 3 weeks and gain 3lbs of muscle, your net weight only changed 12lbs and is misleading.

So you're doing 2 miles on non-lifting days and 1 on lifting days. Assuming you're running 10 min miles, that's only 20 minutes on the tread mill...

Work towards doing cardio for longer than this. If you like, I can quote the author of a health book when I get home, but in the first 10-20 minutes you are still burning glycogen and other sugars stored in your muscles. The thought is that once you have exhausted these stores, the body must convert stored fat into energy to maintain your activity. This is why you may want to up your time spent on the treadmill to 30-40 minutes. If you have to slow down the first couple of days to go this long, it will still theoretically benefit your body fat loss goals.

If you're interested, I'll crack the dusty book open and share some of their findings with you.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

lots of good info, very much appreciated. After I jog the mile or two on the treadmill, I usually walk at 3.2-3.5 mph on a slight incline for 10-20 minutes to cool down, sometimes over an hour if theres somethin good on tv to watch at the same time then I just keep walkin. I'm going to start workin out at school this week where I'll use an elyptical. Without the impact I don't get the pain in my shins so I'll go for 45 minutes to an hour at optimum heart rate. I'm going to look into getting one of those calipers, sounds like a much better way to track my progress.

Kevin

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

if you've been lifting for a few months, it doesn't hurt to take a week off to get over a plateau as well.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZe Inc
if you've been lifting for a few months, it doesn't hurt to take a week off to get over a plateau as well.
+1

the body will eventually adapt to any added stresses including exercise and the results will drop off to show it. if you want to keep the gains coming you continually have to add different, not necessarily more, stress to the muscles and nervous system so they continue to adapt. try some supersets for a while with max 45 sec rest intervals dropping your poundage 10-15% per exercise and upping reps by 1/3.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

It's brutal, but it will absolutely work if you are truly stuck...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:38 AM
BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
I've heard to eat one gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight, per day. Does that sound accurate? I lift three time a week, moderate intensity. It just seems like a lot of protein, and I have also heard that eating too much protein will go to waste, producing fat. So is the gram per pound thing a good rule of thumb, or too much since I'm not a bodybuilder? I'm new at this, and sometimes its difficult to interpret good info from BS

I agree, 1 g / 1 lb of bodyweight is too much unless you're training for Mr. Olympia. The magazines that publish that type of info are mostly sponsored by the suppliment companies, so they'll tell you pretty much anything to get you to buy more suppliments. Too much protein is not only extra calories, but it can also put a strain on your kidneys.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm a blessed man

Interesting thing about Protein. Your body needs an almost constant supply of it to repair itself from just normal daily breakdown. Working out hard of course, does more damge and so your body will require more of it.

But here's the kicker, if you are not getting a steady supply of protein all through the day, then your body is forced to break down exiting muscle tissue to supply the amino acids it need to repair the body.

Scary no? I err on the side of too much protein (within reason of course).

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm a blessed man

One other trick...

Drink about 1 - 2 gallons of water a day. Try to drink cool (not cold) water. In order to drink this much water, you will basically be sipping water all day and that is where the real benefit comes from, the continued sipping.

Because you are drinking so much water, your body has to be constantly heating this water up to your body's temperature and that burns calories and causes an increase in your metabolism.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

what about heart rate? If you're not pushing at least 60% of max for 30 minutes, you're not going to see much gain. Using a Heart Rate Monitor may help you understand how to really maximize your workouts. Even for lifting a heart rate monitor can help you see where you're going too hard or too soft.

But the water suggestion will also help you control diet as well.

OH, and cross training (like swimming, riding a bicycle, etc) will do wonders to 'pull your body' out of its plateau.

Good luck.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

thanks for all the great info so far. Reminds me how complicated it is to get in shape lol. checked my weight this morning and its moving down again, so thats good news. Right now I'm getting roughly 1/2 to 3/4 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight per day, but probably more spread out than it should be.

Did a little over an hour on an elyptical today w/ heart rate monitor, kept it in optimum range the whole time. Felt good to add more cardio, I'm going to keep up with that.

Weight training routine/exercises change weekly. Last week I did supersets, this week I'm doing drop sets, etc. etc. Really good plan for me, I'll have to check the title of the book and post up. Took a week off from it about 4 weeks ago since I was out of town and away from equipment. Now that I'm in the swing of things, I can't imagine missing a workout, unless for a necessary break.

Kevin

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
thanks for all the great info so far. Reminds me how complicated it is to get in shape lol. checked my weight this morning and its moving down again, so thats good news. Right now I'm getting roughly 1/2 to 3/4 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight per day, but probably more spread out than it should be.

Did a little over an hour on an elyptical today w/ heart rate monitor, kept it in optimum range the whole time. Felt good to add more cardio, I'm going to keep up with that.

Weight training routine/exercises change weekly. Last week I did supersets, this week I'm doing drop sets, etc. etc. Really good plan for me, I'll have to check the title of the book and post up. Took a week off from it about 4 weeks ago since I was out of town and away from equipment. Now that I'm in the swing of things, I can't imagine missing a workout, unless for a necessary break.
So coach, can you help out an old guy yet?

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

Butch @ 630-777-0273

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchf
So coach, can you help out an old guy yet?
no

Kevin

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
no
OK, MORE BUD......

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

Butch @ 630-777-0273

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fastracing
I've read and done the 1 gram of protein to 1lb body weight thing. For my body, it seemed unneccessary. I believe 1 gram to 1.5lbs or ever 2lbs still worked for me. Experiment.

A gram of protein is 4 calories. If you eat more calories than you burn/use, it will be stored as fat. This happens with all foods, whether made up of fat, protein, or carbohydrates.

In order for you to really understand your gains, I agree that body fat percentage is the key. As stated, if you weigh 200lbs before you started exercising and changing your eating habits...lose 15lbs of fat over 3 weeks and gain 3lbs of muscle, your net weight only changed 12lbs and is misleading.

So you're doing 2 miles on non-lifting days and 1 on lifting days. Assuming you're running 10 min miles, that's only 20 minutes on the tread mill...

Work towards doing cardio for longer than this. If you like, I can quote the author of a health book when I get home, but in the first 10-20 minutes you are still burning glycogen and other sugars stored in your muscles. The thought is that once you have exhausted these stores, the body must convert stored fat into energy to maintain your activity. This is why you may want to up your time spent on the treadmill to 30-40 minutes. If you have to slow down the first couple of days to go this long, it will still theoretically benefit your body fat loss goals.

If you're interested, I'll crack the dusty book open and share some of their findings with you.

You're right on most parts here. One thing is that you don't necessarily store everything as fat. A calorie coming from carbs, protein, or fat, really is a bit different. Your body generally likes efficiency. To store fat as fat is easier for it. To store sugar is also possible, but the body's first choice is generally to store as glycogen which you mentioned above. Protein comes in and generally offers the least 'energy'. It's often not worth the conversion or storage. So a good portion of the excess protein you take in will simply be treated like waste. The biggest loss is going to come in the form of loss of money from buying protein rather than fat though usually.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Naperthrill Drama major

Sportbike: rc51... i like twins.
Years Riding: since i was like 5
How you found us: kc50

kevin, just switch it up, run more eat more and 60 grams of protien 3-4 times a day is good. you have to feed the muscles you are tearing down with the weight training. any extra is tossed. and anyone that says the shit doesnt work is just plain nuts.lots of water is important. but sustaining protien is detramental to your objective. as far as the weight training, change what you are doing in your muscle movement not just the routine. your muscles get used to a certain movement and thats how you stop building. as far as losing fat, run run run. and then run more. make it a hobby. And when ya come back we can go to a real gym, and pomp u op.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
kc6
I'm mad bro

says the guy who was 6'5" and 155 pounds not long ago, giving muscle building advice lol. just messin dude

Kevin

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Naperthrill Drama major

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
says the guy who was 6'5" and 155 pounds not long ago, giving muscle building advice lol. just messin dude

ewwwwwww, i cannot believe you went there. i will have you know that i am a black belt in the tenth degree when it comes to knowledge of the way to build muscles.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Naperthrill Drama major

pyramid your weight. and dont ever call me again fucker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode