Want to lose weight? Try the "no-diet" diet. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Want to lose weight? Try the "no-diet" diet.

Taken from CNN.com

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- When Steven Hawks is tempted by ice cream bars, M&Ms and toffee-covered almonds at the grocery store, he doesn't pass them by. He fills up his shopping cart.

It's the no-diet diet, an approach the Brigham Young University health science professor used to lose 50 pounds and to keep it off for more than five years.

Hawks calls his plan "intuitive eating" and thinks the rest of the country would be better off if people stopped counting calories, started paying attention to hunger pangs and ate whatever they wanted.

As part of intuitive eating, Hawks surrounds himself with unhealthy foods he especially craves. He says having an overabundance of what's taboo helps him lose his desire to gorge.

There is a catch to this no-diet diet, however: Intuitive eaters only eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full.

That means not eating a box of chocolates when you're feeling blue or digging into a big plate of nachos just because everyone else at the table is.

The trade-off is the opportunity to eat whatever your heart desires when you are actually hungry.

"One of the advantages of intuitive eating is you're always eating things that are most appealing to you, not out of emotional reasons, not because it's there and tastes good," he said. "Whenever you feel the physical urge to eat something, accept it and eat it. The cravings tend to subside. I don't have anywhere near the cravings I would as a 'restrained eater."'

Hawks should know. In 1989, the Utah native had a job at North Carolina State University in Raleigh and wanted to return to his home state. But at 210 pounds, he didn't think a fat person could get a job teaching students how to be healthy, so his calorie-counting began.

He lost weight and got the job at Utah State University. But the pounds soon came back.

For several years his weight fluctuated, until he eventually gave up on being a restrained eater and the weight stayed on.

"You definitely lose weight on a diet, but resisting biological pressures is ultimately doomed," Hawks said.

Several years later and still overweight at a new job at BYU, Hawks decided it was time for a lifestyle change.

He stopped feeling guilty about eating salt-and-vinegar potato chips. He also stopped eating when he wasn't hungry.

Slowly and steadily his weight began to drop. Exercise helped.

His friends and co-workers soon took notice of the slimmer Hawks.

"It astonished me, actually," said his friend, Steven Peck. "We were both very heavy. It was hard not to be struck."

After watching Hawks lose and keep the weight off for a year and a half, Peck tried intuitive eating in January.

"I was pretty skeptical of the idea you could eat anything you wanted until you didn't feel like it. It struck me as odd," said Peck, who is an assistant professor at BYU.

But 11 months later, Peck sometimes eats mint chocolate chip ice cream for dinner, is 35 pounds lighter and a believer in intuitive eating.

"There are times when I overeat. I did at Thanksgiving," Peck said. "That's one thing about Steve's ideas, they're sort of forgiving. On other diets if you slip up, you feel you've blown it and it takes a couple weeks get back into it. ... This sort of has this built-in forgiveness factor."

The one thing all diets have in common is that they restrict food, said Michael Goran, an obesity expert at the University of Southern California. Ultimately, that's why they usually fail, he said.

"At some point you want what you can't have," Goran said. Still, he said intuitive eating makes sense as a concept "if you know what you're doing."

Intuitive eating alone won't give anyone six-pack abs, Hawks said, but it will lead to a healthier lifestyle. He still eats junk food and keeps a jar of honey in his office, but only indulges occasionally.

"My diet is actually quite healthy. ... I'm as likely to eat broccoli as eat a steak," he said. "It's a misconception that all of a sudden a diet is going to become all junk food and high fat," he said.

In a small study published in the American Journal of Health Education, Hawks and a team of researchers examined a group of BYU students and found those who were intuitive eaters typically weighed less and had a lower risk of cardiovascular disease than other students.

He said the study indicates intuitive eating is a viable approach to long-term weight management and he plans to do a larger study across different cultures. Ultimately, he'd like intuitive eating to catch on as a way for people to normalize their relationship with food and fight eating disorders.

"Most of what the government is telling us is, we need to count calories, restrict fat grams, etc. I feel like that's a harmful message," he said.

"I think encouraging dietary restraint creates more problems. I hope intuitive eating will be adopted at a national level."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
I dont know about that one... eat whatever you want till you dont want to anymore... hmmmmm i think i could do it...

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Sounds reasonable. Keep your metabolism working and, assuming you don't exceed it's capability, you'll burn off the calories.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

It plays off of an interesting idea. We want things more when we can't have them. So eat what you you like when you like and avoid fixing problems with food. It's like the kid that has everything and doesn't want to play with anything vs the kid with no toys who could play for days with the toys of the one with them all.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
So do you think it'll work if say you or I would do it??? Because I'm all down for that idea!

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
It plays off of an interesting idea. We want things more when we can't have them. So eat what you you like when you like and avoid fixing problems with food. It's like the kid that has everything and doesn't want to play with anything vs the kid with no toys who could play for days with the toys of the one with them all.

Excatly, thats the downfall of most peoples diets. you ahve to treat yourself to the things you know you enjoy or you are going to fail. you just have to do it with moderation. I lost 25 lbs last year and didnt do anything too drastic but switching to healthy eating. with some treats in there, whats nice though is once you get used to healthier foods, you loose your craving for sweeter foods. I havent had a real soda in at least 9 months, either coffee, iced tea of water is all I drink, soda tastes absolutly gross now to me.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
Too bad half of america is on that diet already...and guess what half are skinny and out of shape and the other have are over weight and out of shape.... this only works for some people. but i would never think you could actually loose weight this way. maintain sure....lose...i wouldn't think so.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

I have been on a similar diet for a while. I eat ice cream when I crave it, lots of it. Then I don't want it for quite a while. I used to be on the Body for Life plan, which you were supposed to be a little disciplined 6 days a week, and then eat whatever you want on the 7th day.

It works great for me. However, like he said in the article, you can't eat casue your blue... or whatever. What I found was that my metabolism increased. I eat 4-5 small meals a day, and it works out super for me.

I lost about 20 pounds on this plan, and I still eat all the ice cream I want.

Of course, this doesn't work at all for my wife. All she can do is maintain weight on this program, but she doesn't crank up the metabolism either , nor does she eat 4-5 times/day.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Mike

Sportbike: Older one
Years Riding: Many
How you found us: browsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
Sounds reasonable. Keep your metabolism working and, assuming you don't exceed it's capability, you'll burn off the calories.
+1 Been doing similar diet w/excercise and worked for me, munching 6X day and lost 20 - 25lbs since March. Dropped body fat from 28 down to the teens.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

The idea is that everything in moderation. This won't work if you eat all you want and never exercise. Also a lot depends on your genetics, however obesity can absolutely be controlled.

As a nutritionist and personal trainer I look at my clients (usually new clients) flaws such as eating a bag of chips every night or drinking a full liter of pop a day. My suggestion is to not stop eating a full bag of chips each day, but to simply stop one day out of the week and then go from there. We fail because we do things in extremes such as "my diet starts Monday". You mean to tell me that you're eating one way today or not working out...and then come Monday, presto it's going to happen? Not to mention we all hate Monday anyway, so that's the last day you want to start something like a diet. There's what I reffer to as "the fade effect". Most people can go strong on a diet, workout, you name it..for the first week. Then the break is on the weekend of course and since you feel some self reward from it, you don't go back as hard the next Monday. So instead of sticking to the diet or program 100%, you do about 90-95% effort into it. Not tough to come up with an excuse like "didn't have time to grab the appropriate food, but that's ok because I've been so good", and this continues until you've totally faded from the original plan. This is a more realistic approach...forget going against your nature, instead learn to work with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode